+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cloud Services Thread, O365 Student ProPlus in Technical; Originally Posted by chazzy2501 For me, activating Onedrive means turning on SharePoint. I'm not ready to manage SharePoint or have ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    For me, activating Onedrive means turning on SharePoint. I'm not ready to manage SharePoint or have the resources to monitor it and a newsfeed (which I'd not even considered until now)

I do look forward to using it though, the multi author editing in Word online is a hoot. (word proper less so)

I'll give management a demo and see what they say..
    IF you do give them a license for SharePoint they don't get access to anything other than OneDrive and the newsfeeds. you wont have to manage/monitor anything. By default, a user has to be given access to a SharePoint sitecollection so you wont need to monitor it or do anything.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just wondering @Jasbo have you updated to office 2013 yet? 2013 + ADFS works great, automatically picks up on the user and allows them to directly open/save to their Onedrive account. The only annoying thing is the option saying Onedrive is actually the consumer version not the business model, the option named up as your domain will be their Onedrive business account. You can lockdown this to only your domain accounts and prevent users logging into their personal onedrive.

Office webapps have greatly improved recently to but are still limited compared to the full fledged Office suite, the ProPlus provides students with the great benefit of 5 full Office 2013 installs per student and the ability to deactivate these via the web interface if they upgrade their equipment.... the app's aren't bad either. Might look at the use of chromebooks with Google Apps, cheap simply easily managed laptops with the ability to do the same as our current aging laptops are used for 95% of the time.
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 7th May 2014 at 04:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi.

We are looking to go to 2013 this year and agree that the integration with onedrive In that is good, but I don't use adfs presently only azure ad sync/pwd sync.

My understanding is if my adfs setup was not available then a user would not be able to logon to 365, I couldn't really get my head around why anyone would want to be In that boat, that currently my email would still work in the event of a nuclear strike on my school seems a good thing?

That and the 4 server setup guide I read from ms made me think it was a bit OTT for a secondary school, that was a year ago tho. Perhaps I need to go and have another look then.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasbo View Post
    Hi.

We are looking to go to 2013 this year and agree that the integration with onedrive In that is good, but I don't use adfs presently only azure ad sync/pwd sync.

My understanding is if my adfs setup was not available then a user would not be able to logon to 365, I couldn't really get my head around why anyone would want to be In that boat, that currently my email would still work in the event of a nuclear strike on my school seems a good thing?

That and the 4 server setup guide I read from ms made me think it was a bit OTT for a secondary school, that was a year ago tho. Perhaps I need to go and have another look then.

Yes the setup is a pain and ott with on site server requirements, we have mentioned the idea of this with replication in azure but not looked that much into it yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasbo View Post
    In that is good, but I don't use adfs presently only azure ad sync/pwd sync.

Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    Yes the setup is a pain and ott with on site server requirements, we have mentioned the idea of this with replication in azure but not looked that much into it yet.
    I've written about this (Deploying Office 365 Education? You don't need single sign-on, and here's why!). ADFS is a big undertaking, and won't necessarily give you much more than what you have now with password sync with respect to the end-user experience.

ADFS does have benefits, but there will always be a requirement to have ADFS servers available, whether hosted on-premises or using IaaS in something like Azure as Azure AD will look to your ADFS servers for authN. If the ADFS servers (or DCs) are down then there's no access to Office 365, OR Azure AD and any other associated services.

Using ADFS (or not) shouldn't impact your ability to use OneDrive for Business at all.

It's better these days to think about your local AD's relationship with Azure AD, rather than specifically Office 365 Education. It's possible to use Azure AD to authenticate to lots of services, of which Office 365 is just one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    It's better these days to think about your local AD's relationship with Azure AD, rather than specifically Office 365 Education. It's possible to use Azure AD to authenticate to lots of services, of which Office 365 is just one.
    I've looked at some possibilities with this, but not found a specific answer to this question:

To use Azure AD to authenticate another service along with Password Sync from existing AD, do you need to pay for Azure AD to accomodate this?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    I've looked at some possibilities with this, but not found a specific answer to this question:

To use Azure AD to authenticate another service along with Password Sync from existing AD, do you need to pay for Azure AD to accomodate this?
    Hi,

In respect to Windows Azure Active Directory (WAAD) you have two options [Free & Premium] and the differences in these are mentioned in the following article: Pricing Details - Active Directory | Microsoft Azure

If you wish to use WAAD as your Identity Provider for Software as a Service (SaaS) Applications then you can achieve this with the FREE version of WAAD, with up to 10 Applications (p/user).

I hope that helps,

James.

8. Thanks to EduTech from:

Cache (12th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Hi,

In respect to Windows Azure Active Directory (WAAD) you have two options [Free & Premium] and the differences in these are mentioned in the following article: Pricing Details - Active Directory | Microsoft Azure

If you wish to use WAAD as your Identity Provider for Software as a Service (SaaS) Applications then you can achieve this with the FREE version of WAAD, with up to 10 Applications (p/user).

I hope that helps,

James.
    Interesting, that's a page I couldn't find for some reason.

So..... if I wanted to do something like this: Tutorial: Azure AD integration with Google Apps that would be possible using the Free version of Azure AD?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Interesting, that's a page I couldn't find for some reason.

So..... if I wanted to do something like this: Tutorial: Azure AD integration with Google Apps that would be possible using the Free version of Azure AD?
    Correct.

It's not un-common for people to use WAAD as the Identity Provider for Google Apps... :-)

James.

11. Thanks to EduTech from:

Cache (12th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That puts a different spin on things for me, thanks James!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12