+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Importing from Outlook to Office 365 in Technical; Hello all One of my schools is hoping to move to Office 365 in the near future and I have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,629 Posts

Importing from Outlook to Office 365

Hello all
    One of my schools is hoping to move to Office 365 in the near future and I have been wrestling with accounts that just won't migrate for a while now.
    Meanwhile, the HT, DHT and senior office staff have been told not to provide me with their passwords so that I am not in danger of being accused of reading their emails or anything like that...
    So
    They are going to have to do the import thing themselves from Outlook, once they have imported their easymail account into Outlook in the first place.
    Can someone tell me how to do this? I've read the technet stuff and I don't really get it. Also, do they need the admin password for Office 365 to do it?
    Any info would be great, thanks

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Outlook >> Account settings >> Data files >> add >> create a new pst.

Then just drag and drop all the emails into this "archive".

Remove the outlook profile then, Load up outlook again and setup the new Office 365 settings and simply re-attach the PST data file.

Thats how we did it for all staff and it worked quite smoothly, we could do it while they were logged in so never needed any passwords of anything like that. We did it at the same time as setting up Office 365 locally on their outlook. The process takes about 5 minutes per user.
    Last edited by zag; 22nd April 2014 at 10:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 1,414 Posts

Thank Post
    I did find that article but it didn't work - I'm wondering if it is easymail that is the problem..again.
    Also, it is a bit complicated for the users to figure out. They have to do this for themselves as I am not allowed to
    Last edited by witch; 22nd April 2014 at 11:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Outlook >> Account settings >> Data files >> add >> create a new pst.

Then just drag and drop all the emails into this "archive".

Remove the outlook profile then, Load up outlook again and setup the new Office 365 settings and simply re-attach the PST data file.

Thats how we did it for all staff and it worked quite smoothly, we could do it while they were logged in so never needed any passwords of anything like that. We did it at the same time as setting up Office 365 locally on their outlook. The process takes about 5 minutes per user.
    Thanks
    What do you mean by at the same time as setting up Office 365 locally on their Outlook? Didn't you just say that you did that in order to import the data file? What else did you need to do?
    When you say they were logged in - not to their email, surely?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Thanks
    What do you mean by at the same time as setting up Office 365 locally on their Outlook? Didn't you just say that you did that in order to import the data file? What else did you need to do?
    When you say they were logged in - not to their email, surely?
    We already had all users setup on outlook locally so it was a bit easier. The basic process was create an archive, copy data, remove outlook profile >> setup office 365 >> re-attach pst file.

All we did was walk over to them while they were logged in and do the above process. It really wasn't that big a job.

Thank Post
    As @zag said. That's pretty much what we did and it worked for us (we were using LLN, not Easymail, but the method is the same.)

Out of interest, who will be the administrator for their Office365? If its you, then you already have the power to read their emails...

Thank Post
    Did you know that Office 365 offers a mailbox migration feature that can import all emails from EasyMail using IMAP? Login as the administrator account, go to Exchange and look for the migration tab. It's pretty self explanatory.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gavins38 View Post
    Did you know that Office 365 offers a mailbox migration feature that can import all emails from EasyMail using IMAP? Login as the administrator account, go to Exchange and look for the migration tab. It's pretty self explanatory.
    @gavins38 The point is that these members of staff will not let me have their passwords so that I can do the migration- they want to do it themselves from Outlook.
    @hallb15 Is that correct? How do I read emails then? I had better flag that up with the boss - I wonder what he will do?

Thank Post

Importing from Outlook to Office 365

Allowing them to do it themselves should be easy enough. Open outlook, put in email address and password for office 365. If they are using outlook 2013 or 2010 with sp2 it should auto detect their account and set it up. Then setup easy mail as a second account using IMAP settings. Drag and drop emails between accounts in outlook.
    Last edited by gavins38; 22nd April 2014 at 10:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gavins38 View Post
    Allowing them to do it themselves should be easy enough. Open outlook, put in email address and password for office 365. In they are using outlook 2013 or 2010 with sp2
    Sorry, but you are missing the point - they want to import all their emails from the current service, Easymail and then start using the Office 365 system

Thank Post
    When you drag the emails from your easy mail account in outlook you your 365 account, outlook syncs the new emails back to your online office 365 account. Once you are done you can delete the easy mail IMAP account and carry on using the 365 account in outlook.

Thank Post
    I see - that is slightly different to Zag's solution. Good idea because that way they won't miss any easymail messages right up until the day it is turned off.
    Not that I have ever dragged things between outlook accounts - but how hard can it be

Today's issue is that I have just tried to create Outlook accounts for some easymail clients - just to check I knew what I was doing - and of course they won't work. Cannot log on to the incoming mail server apparently! (I have the correct passwords, I checked that first!!)

Arggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thank Post
    To answer you with regards reading other emails, as an administrator you can give yourself the full access permission on any account in the Exchange admin centre. All you would need do then is click your name at the top right of your email, choose other user and enter their email address!! Their Inbox will open in a new window.

Be super careful not to use this feature without prior consent forms etc, even with students

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    To answer you with regards reading other emails, as an administrator you can give yourself the full access permission on any account in the Exchange admin centre. All you would need do then is click your name at the top right of your email, choose other user and enter their email address!! Their Inbox will open in a new window.

Be super careful not to use this feature without prior consent forms etc, even with students
    @themightymrp you beat me to it!
    There are several admin roles that you can be assigned in Office365, not all of them have the ability to do the above though. There's a summary of the roles here:
    Assigning admin roles - office365 suite

As part of your AUP or ICT code of conduct, there should be a clause which covers you for monitoring ICT systems such as email.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast