+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 Alternate Email address for Global Administrator in Technical; I am in the process of setting up a school with Office 365 and I am trying to tell the ...

Thank Post

Office 365 Alternate Email address for Global Administrator

I am in the process of setting up a school with Office 365 and I am trying to tell the system to change the domain I want to use for the Global Administrator account. However, when I try to do that, I get taken to the "Alternate Email Address" field which is filled out with the email account I used to register for the free trial and tells me I can't use that email address as the alternative (which is fair enough). The real kicker is that if I try and type in something else, it's still giving me the error as if I was still trying to use that original email address. What am I doing wrong? Are you not allowed to edit those settings for the GA account?

Thank Post
    Hi,
    Have you tried changing it using a powershell script - here is an example. If you are looking to clear your email address you might want to change your company technical contact too
    Change Alternative email address
    Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName apearce@bfc365.com | Set-MsolUser -AlternateEmailAddresses "apearce@bfcnetworks.com"

Get Company Information
    get-msolcompanyinformation

Change technical contact
    Set-MsolCompanyContactInformation -TechnicalNotificationEmails "apearce@bfcnetworks.com"

3. Thanks to apearce from:

woreilly (10th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apearce View Post
    Hi,
    Have you tried changing it using a powershell script - here is an example. If you are looking to clear your email address you might want to change your company technical contact too
    Change Alternative email address
    Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName apearce@bfc365.com | Set-MsolUser -AlternateEmailAddresses "apearce@bfcnetworks.com"

Get Company Information
    get-msolcompanyinformation

Change technical contact
    Set-MsolCompanyContactInformation -TechnicalNotificationEmails "apearce@bfcnetworks.com"
    Does that involve the use of AD Synchronisation? If so, we can't do that as they are on a Server 2003R2 box so I've had to do the manual setup using a .csv file import

Thank Post
    You can run Powershell on your computer. It's not tied to AD.

Thank Post
    I get that I can run Powershell from my computer...I just didn't get that I could manage my Office365 environment from any computer using powershell. Excuse my ignorance, I've not used PowerShell properly before. So I could just try and run that line:

(Changed for my specific addresses though?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    As is so often the case when people talk about O365 PowerShell, the above example leaves out the steps you need to get your machine talking to O365 in the first place.

There is a detailed article here, but the short version is you need to install the Windows Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell (32-bit version) (64-bit version). Launch PowerShell using the shortcut it installs and run the Connect-MsolService command to prompt for credentials. THEN you can run any of the examples you will see dotted all over the place.

8. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

woreilly (10th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think the sign up to office 365 should come with a short how to Powershell course.

It REALLY is a necessity of you want to do anything bar just creating accounts. And even then it makes it a lot easier.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Stupid question, but have you added the domain you are trying to change the Admin address to office 365?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    As is so often the case when people talk about O365 PowerShell, the above example leaves out the steps you need to get your machine talking to O365 in the first place.

There is a detailed article here, but the short version is you need to install the Windows Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell (32-bit version) (64-bit version). Launch PowerShell using the shortcut it installs and run the Connect-MsolService command to prompt for credentials. THEN you can run any of the examples you will see dotted all over the place.
    Thank you, I will take a look when I get a chance!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    Stupid question, but have you added the domain you are trying to change the Admin address to office 365?
    Yeah I have had the TXT record added and domain verified for the school. I now have 2 domains to choose from - Microsoft's generic one and the school's own one

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread