+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Google Apps and Parents in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Post Google Apps and Parents

Hey All
    We have been using Google Apps for over a year now with no issues to report.
    When we set up GA, we informed the parents that we would be using it via email and paper copy. We kept them up to date and also sent out a Ďwe are now liveí communication. We specified on these communications if they had any issues with their child using GAís then they should contact the school. We had no contact with any parent.
    So basically, we went for a default opted in approach rather than sending out permission slips, and gave parents the opportunity to opt out.
    Should we have got permission slips signed? Just been reading up on this (or trying too) and COPPA states that you should, but COPPA is a US thing?
    Has anyone else taken our approach? Or should I think about sending out a permission slip asap?
    I just knew If I send out a permission slip, some parents will just not sign it to be a pain, where as if they are told of a new initiative they will not raise any concerns.
    The reason I have looked at this is we have had some issues with year 5&6ís behaving inappropriately on Instagram. I will be sending out a communication to parents reminding them that there is an age limit of 13 on most Social Media. Iím sure some smart ~~rse will point out we have given the children a google account and they are under 13. I know the school takes responsibility as its GA for education, itís just the question of the permission slip Iím not clear on.
    Appreciate your thoughts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Google apps for education doesn't have the same age restrictions as a normal Google Apps account because the school controls the account. Also, unless you have failed to disable some of the social media features such as Google+ you are actually providing protections they almost certainly aren't at home.

Now, there is the issue of Google scanning student emails for ad data, which isn't too kosher and I'm in Australia and can't speak to child protection laws in the UK...so take this advice/information with caution as you might be in non-compliance with some random regulation some senseless politician may have enacted without a shred of thought for its implications in the real world.

Thank Post
    Thanks, yes Google+ is disabled

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, yes Google+ is disabled

Thank Post
    We took an opt-out approach. I don't think there is much difference legally unless you actually sent them all of the Google T&C's which the students have to accept when they log in for the first time. There are also varying T&C's for various features (Google+ being one of them) and apps you may want to run within chrome, so you would potentially need parental opt-in for each one.

Do you block instagram and other social media from the school?

- - - Updated - - -

We took an opt-out approach. I don't think there is much difference legally unless you actually sent them all of the Google T&C's which the students have to accept when they log in for the first time. There are also varying T&C's for various features (Google+ being one of them) and apps you may want to run within chrome, so you would potentially need parental opt-in for each one.

Do you block instagram and other social media from the school?

Thank Post
    Yes we block all Social Media for pupils. The incidents have happened at home, but the children that have been upset have reported it at school. We wanted to run a session for the parents on esafety, but wanted to make sure everything was in order with the fact that we use GA for education.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes we block all Social Media for pupils. The incidents have happened at home, but the children that have been upset have reported it at school. We wanted to run a session for the parents on esafety, but wanted to make sure everything was in order with the fact that we use GA for education.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread