+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Just starting our Office 365 adventure.... in Technical; Hi all, We're just starting to look at Office 365 (just to see what it can do) and I'm a ...
    Thank Post

Just starting our Office 365 adventure....

Hi all,

We're just starting to look at Office 365 (just to see what it can do) and I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information that's currently available and not sure where to start so looking for some advice please. So far I've setup a test network with an AD server, a Directory server (dirsync) and a few clients, I also have AD syncing with Office 365 which creates the required accounts. I'm waiting for MS eligibility for Office 365 Education.

So what do I do now? What does an ADFS SSO setup offer me that I don't currently have with DirSync. How can I create a new user in AD and have the user's email address be our domain address rather than the .onmicrosoft.com version.

Thanks

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
    So what do I do now? What does an ADFS SSO setup offer me that I don't currently have with DirSync. How can I create a new user in AD and have the user's email address be our domain address rather than the .onmicrosoft.com version.

Thanks

Ben
    Sso gives you single click logon internally and always synced passwords.

To use @school... you need to validate the domain in 365 and if you want it to get external email you'd need to change your domain mx records diverting all email to 365 rather than your mail server. You'd need to add the upn suffix if it is not your AD domain also.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

jaminben (18th March 2014)

Thank Post
    So what do I do now? What does an ADFS SSO setup offer me that I don't currently have with DirSync.
    Well your users won't have to login with their e-mail address when using the office clients. The general idea of KISS comes into play with 365 setup. If your users can cope with entering their e-mail address and password when needed, then dirsync is fine.

How can I create a new user in AD and have the user's email address be our domain address rather than the .onmicrosoft.com version.
    As long as the UPN suffix for the user is set to your domain name, and the mail field also contains your domain address, dirsync will create the user with that address and not the .onmicrosoft one as default (it is always available though)
    Last edited by Boredguy; 18th March 2014 at 11:29 AM.

5. Thanks to Boredguy from:

jaminben (18th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Ok, thanks for the reply's

Our domain name is now populating the email just fine.

Does anyone sync their OneDrive accounts locally for students and staff? What about linking profile paths to OneDrive accounts?

We're also noticing that shared documents don't appear unless the shared recipient clicks on the link in the email... is this normal behaviour?

Thank Post
    Is anyone able to confirm that shared documents can take several hours to appear in a recipient's area?

Coming from Google drive where documents appear instantly OneDrive doesn't seem all that competative in this area.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've not seen this... It's always been quick enough for me not to need to time it.

9. Thanks to Marshall_IT from:

jaminben (19th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks Marshall, we're waiting up to 2 or 3 hours for documents to appear.

Have sent MS a support ticket.

Thank Post
    Had a response from MS.... not good IMO.

Actually, what you have experienced is a normal behavior of the OneDrive for Business library. In general, after we share a document that stored in the OneDrive for Business library with a user, he will receive the invitation email with the hyperlink to the document in serveral minutes. Meanwhile, the document will appear in the userís Shared with Me section of the OneDrive for Business library. And the shared document will automatically appear in the Shared with Me section even we donít click the link to open it first.

It typically takes serveral minutes for the shared document to appear in the Shared with Me section. However, based on my research, it takes up to 24 hours or even a longer time for the document to appear in that section. Sometimes, there may be delay in the back-end SharePoint Online server to synchronize the information. I understand it may cause some inconvenience that we cannot see the document once sharing it with another user. Sorry for any inconvenience it is causing.
    I don't think we can sell this over Google Drive.

Thank Post
    Hummm, I noticed this. I didn't want to enable email on o365 yet. I shared a file without an email link. The test pupil didn't get a document in the "shared with me" all day... You can however look at the sharers profile, their documents and use the shared file. (unlike any of their other files)

13. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

jaminben (19th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Spent the morning reading and trying to setup SSO but I'm getting the error:

Attempting to resolve the host name adserver.school.local in DNS
    Host adserver.school.local couldn't be resolved in DNS InfoDomainNonexistent.
    My ActiveClientSignInUrl is:

adserver.school.local is the FQDN of our test AD server.

Have I gotten my setup wrong where its using "adserver.school.local" I should actually be using "schoolpublicdomain.com".

Thanks

Ben
    Last edited by jaminben; 20th March 2014 at 01:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It needs to be publicly accessible with a recognised SSL certificate as O365 has to trust it to I think, you just make another DNS record on your internal server pointing sso.yourschool.uk to the internal interface of your sso server.

16. Thanks to SYNACK from:

jaminben (21st March 2014)

Thank Post
    I think I've setup the SSL certificate wrong... we didn't purchase one so have been trying to create our own following various guides.

Need to read some more I guess.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread