+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Google Apps in Technical; Hi guys; I was under the impression that Google Apps was completely free for education, with every user getting a ...

Thank Post

Google Apps

Hi guys;

I was under the impression that Google Apps was completely free for education, with every user getting a free 30gb allowance? But I saw a thread where people are talking about thousands of s to "back up emails" ? Not sure why backing anything up is necessary though since it's all on google's servers and they would take care of all of that? And the blurb doesn't mention costs for this, though it does suggest Google Vault is an extra add-on (Products ? Google Apps for Education)

Another question I had was regarding bandwidth - if School A (1000 kids, 200 staff) used google apps for all of their email (students included), utilised drive for sharing files and collaborating, and calendar and talk, anyone hazard a guess for an average, ball-park bandwidth usage? Obviously this is a bit of a difficult question without more details, but perhaps any info on bandwidth and issues anyone has had regarding that for schools utilising google apps would be really useful!

Thanks guys,

Tom

rdk

Thank Post
    Google Vault is more for regulatory compliance than for data recovery. We have Vault, but if a user deletes their email (the trash empties after a month) we tell them it's gone. On the other hand, if a court comes back in five years and says "show me the email Teacher A sent to Student B" we can get it from Vault. However, I know one school that harvests every email sent or received containing the words "the" or "a" or "an" or "I" and saves each email to portable HDDs, and when one is full starts another. There is no organisation, but every email is there if someone has the legal right, time and money to find it.

Thank Post
    So that's a crude workaround to Vault which is the only financial expense in the apps for education package, right? Other than that, it's all free?

And what about bandwidth, is there any noticeable and significant impact in your experience?

Cheers

Tom

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rdk View Post
    Google Vault is more for regulatory compliance than for data recovery. We have Vault, but if a user deletes their email (the trash empties after a month) we tell them it's gone. On the other hand, if a court comes back in five years and says "show me the email Teacher A sent to Student B" we can get it from Vault. However, I know one school that harvests every email sent or received containing the words "the" or "a" or "an" or "I" and saves each email to portable HDDs, and when one is full starts another. There is no organisation, but every email is there if someone has the legal right, time and money to find it.
    How much does vault cost for education? I googled it and it states 3.30 per user/month. For a School with 1200 users that's a ridiculous amount per year. Hopefully there are reduced Educational costs?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tben2505 View Post
    Hi guys;

I was under the impression that Google Apps was completely free for education, with every user getting a free 30gb allowance? But I saw a thread where people are talking about thousands of s to "back up emails" ? Not sure why backing anything up is necessary though since it's all on google's servers and they would take care of all of that?
    Backups don't just protect against system failures, they also protect against the more common "pressing wrong button - oops it's gone!" type mistakes. They should also offer some independent compliance with local data retention regulations and policies. Google don't offer that as standard.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    How much does vault cost for education? I googled it and it states 3.30 per user/month. For a School with 1200 users that's a ridiculous amount per year. Hopefully there are reduced Educational costs?
    Vault for Education is $10 (6.60) per staff member, free for kids (as long as staff count is over 'x').

Peter

Thank Post
    Is that per staff member per month or year?

Thank Post
    Hi Peter.

The price is 6.60 per user per year for staff, and students get it free. There is a minimum order of 100 paid users for students to get it.

I hope that helps.
    Quote taken from an email from one of the Google Education product manager type people.

Peter

9. 2 Thanks to howartp:

Arthur (19th March 2014), fiza (19th March 2014)

Thank Post
    So basically 660 per year. Not too bad.

rdk

Thank Post
    In Australia we're paying the $10 per staff member per year, kids free. But it was actually a bit of a pain to get it set up and to find how to actually give Google the money.
    Last edited by rdk; 20th March 2014 at 10:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Been looking at vault myself and.. are we under any obligation to retain emails...?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Been looking at vault myself and.. are we under any obligation to retain emails...?
    Indeed; I can't recall any legislation to this end in the education sector...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Indeed; I can't recall any legislation to this end in the education sector...

Thank Post
    The Freedom of Information Act 2000 obliges schools to have a retention schedule, listing records it creates in the course of it's business. So you should be able to refer to that !

Generally the Limitation Act 1980 sets out that a claim can be made against an organisation, by a minor, up to 7 years from their 18th Birthday. It doesn't say you need to keep records, but if you want to defend a claim you may need them! So (IMO) 7 years is a minimum.

16. Thanks to pcstru from:

sparkeh (20th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    The Freedom of Information Act 2000 obliges schools to have a retention schedule, listing records it creates in the course of it's business. So you should be able to refer to that !

Generally the Limitation Act 1980 sets out that a claim can be made against an organisation, by a minor, up to 7 years from their 18th Birthday. It doesn't say you need to keep records, but if you want to defend a claim you may need them! So (IMO) 7 years is a minimum.
    Nice - have you been on a data legislation course or something!?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast