+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Google Apps and changing school names in Technical; I have a feeling I might well be a little bit screwed but will ask anyway, My email environment was ...
    Thank Post

Google Apps and changing school names

I have a feeling I might well be a little bit screwed but will ask anyway,

My email environment was moved over to Google Apps two years ago, it was a horrible transition from an internal server to external hosted Google.
    My school will be changing its name so ultimately the email addresses will need changing, after looking into it you cant change the primary domain in Google so I am stuck setting alias, this isnt ideal really as everyone will have to log in with there old addresses.

The only real solution that I can see is to start a new Google Apps account or transfer over to Office 365, unless anyone knows any other ways around it?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,774 Posts
    A fresh google apps account was what came to my mind immediately. I hope someone can give you hope of avoiding the need for a full move.

Thank Post
    I think that might be the only option, which makes me wonder whether it will be worth just going over to Office 365 and being done with Google Apps all together..

Fingers crossed!

Thank Post
    We had the same issue a year ago and had to set up complete new gapps accounts. There wasn't any way to make a smooth or neat transition.

We issued instructions on how to set forwarders (you can't do that centrally for all accounts), and all users lost easy access to all past emails, contact lists etc.

We have a similar problem when someone gets married; we end up having to just give them a new account.

Gapps is good in theory but we find it does have issues when used in an educational setting. Google Drive and gmail data being stored outside the UK is also not ideal.

We also have a bigger issue now, as we have accounts created via our VLE and although SSO works, recent changes at Google (apparently) mean we can't access email directly (eg on a phone or through Outlook).

Needless to say we are not looking at moving to O365!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Google Apps and changing school names

Quote Originally Posted by Olliesaurus View Post
    I have a feeling I might well be a little bit screwed but will ask anyway,

My email environment was moved over to Google Apps two years ago, it was a horrible transition from an internal server to external hosted Google.
    My school will be changing its name so ultimately the email addresses will need changing, after looking into it you cant change the primary domain in Google so I am stuck setting alias, this isnt ideal really as everyone will have to log in with there old addresses.

The only real solution that I can see is to start a new Google Apps account or transfer over to Office 365, unless anyone knows any other ways around it?

Cheers
    This is actually not that hard to do. Create a second domain within your existing Google Apps system. This domain doesn't need to be any way related to the old domain. You can then migrate your users accounts to the new domain and set their existing email address as an alias in the new domain. Their logins will also change.

The caveat to this method is that to "migrate" users to the new domain, you have to change the username for every user. This can be done easily using GADS, which is how we did it. We first changed the email address for users in AD (bulk change) then GADS synced the change and the users were automatically moved into the new domain and given the alias of their old email address. If you aren't using GADS already, I strongly recommend it.

p.s. Using this method all data is preserved. No emails are lost, Google drive data is still intact along with all share settings, etc.
    Last edited by seawolf; 17th March 2014 at 08:08 AM.

6. 3 Thanks to seawolf:

AngryTechnician (17th March 2014), elsiegee40 (19th March 2014), Olliesaurus (19th March 2014)

Thank Post
    I stumbled across this last night and it gave me a little hope https://www.backupify.com/free-tools...or-google-apps

It looks as if it does the complete migration from one GAPPS account over to another... if it works of course!

8. Thanks to Olliesaurus from:

AngryTechnician (17th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    This is actually not that hard to do. Create a second domain within your existing Google Apps system. This domain doesn't need to be any way related to the old domain. You can then migrate your users accounts to the new domain and set their existing email address as an alias in the new domain. Their logins will also change.

The caveat to this method is that to "migrate" users to the new domain, you have to change the username for every user. This can be done easily using GADS, which is how we did it. We first changed the email address for users in AD (bulk change) then GADS synced the change and the users were automatically moved into the new domain and given the alias of their old email address. If you aren't using GADS already, I strongly recommend it.

p.s. Using this method all data is preserved. No emails are lost, Google drive data is still intact along with all share settings, etc.
    This method resolved it all for me thankfully

Many thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread