+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365, Next Steps? in Technical; OK I've got my users sync'd using dirsync to my pupils OU and I now have 815 pupils sitting on ...
    Thank Post

Office 365, Next Steps?

OK I've got my users sync'd using dirsync to my pupils OU and I now have 815 pupils sitting on o365.

I've manually activated a test pupil, located and given the Student ProPlus and A2 plan with lync, sharepoint and onedrive. NO Exchange (yet)

Q1: I login as the student and the onedrive is not available? so none of the online word etc is available. How do I enable his onedrive and will I have to do this en-mass for every pupil later in powershell?

Q2: How do I get powershell to talk to my office 365? I'm looking at scripts on the forums I think it's doeable.. I've added the department "pupils" to my pupils and that should sync in a few hours...

Q3: I have onsite Exchange 2007 what are the broad steps in getting pupils accounts over to O365 with in mind that I "MAY" move staff over later?

Anything I should be doing right away before I give pupils the news about free office?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1) Not sure off the top of my head - is the link not there, or is it telling you it's setting things up?

2) Install the Windows Azure Active Directory Module: Manage Windows Azure AD using Windows PowerShell. Start your scripts with
    Code:
    Connect-MSOLService -Credential $adminCredential
    and it will prompt for your Office365 admin credentials then connect you as relevant.

To connect to Exchange in Office 365, use
    Code:
    Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
    $LiveCred = Get-Credential
    $Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://ps.outlook.com/powershell/ -Credential $LiveCred -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
    Import-PSSession $Session
    3) Look up staged migrations - I just went through that in Feb half term, you can move people over a chunk at a time via CSVs and a few commands. Migrate Mailboxes to Exchange Online with a Staged Migration: Exchange Online Help and Performing a Staged Exchange Migration to Office 365 (Exchange Online) - (Part 1) :: Exchange Online :: Office 365 :: Articles & Tutorials :: MSExchange.org were guides I used, you can work out where you're at between them.

4) Here's a guide I wrote for students to run them through the free Office - seems to have gone ok for us Installing your free copies of Microsoft Office.doc

3. 3 Thanks to sonofsanta:

chazzy2501 (12th March 2014), speckytecky (14th March 2014), zag (25th March 2014)

Thank Post
    The one Drive and newsfeed tabs are greyed out. It's been over 24 hours since I set it up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For OneDrive check this. go to to the SharePoint Administration portal, go to User Profiles from the left menu and Click on Manage User Permission. What users or groups do you see in there? These are the users with permission to SkyDrive.

Do you see the OneDrive tab at all? It should be with the Outlook, Calendar, People tabs.

Thank Post
    "Everyone Except External Users" is in the user profile for sharepoint @FN-GM (Yes the onedrive tab is there just greyed out.) I've not enabled Exchange yet as I'll make that a phase 2 project.

Thank Post
    without changing a thing just looking at sharepoint perms, its now working?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you'd only just set up, it may have been chugging away doing stuff in the background - there was a long span of months between me signing up for O365 and actually doing anything with it, so the memory is a bit hazy, but I seem to remember Sharepoint whining about "we're setting things up". Certainly it takes five minutes or so for each person the first time they click on the OneDrive link.

To answer the original question: you shouldn't need to log in to people's accounts to do anything. There's nothing I've come across so far that has to be done one-by-one, everything can be looped through PowerShell at the very least.

Thank Post
    could you give me an outline of how exchange 2007 works with o365 and how you eventually migrate..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The MS link from above should give you an overview, but essentially:
    * You migrate a batch of users over, which uses the Outlook Anywhere mechanism to copy all the emails over (so get Outlook Anywhere set up if you haven't already - it's an easy job if your server is already accessible from the internet for webmail etc.)
    * You assign those users a licence
    * You run a couple of Powershell scripts on your Exchange box, one to generate a new CSV of details, the second to run against the CSV and disable the local mailbox and enable the cloud mailbox.

Once you've done all that, email is automatically forwarded onto the cloud mailbox by your local Exchange, and migrated users connect their Outlook directly to the cloud (your email domain's autodiscover DNS - internally, at least - needs changing to a CNAME record for autodiscover.outlook.com for this to work). This allows you to co-exist local mailboxes and remote mailboxes, if you want, but really it's designed to let you do the migration stage by stage (hence staged migration ) because really - why bother keeping a local server once you have Office 365 working? Once everyone is ported over you can change the MX records for your domain and mail will flow straight to the Office 365 set up, cutting your Exchange server out of the loop.

11. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

chazzy2501 (14th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    1) Not sure off the top of my head - is the link not there, or is it telling you it's setting things up?

2) Install the Windows Azure Active Directory Module: Manage Windows Azure AD using Windows PowerShell. Start your scripts with
    Code:
    Connect-MSOLService -Credential $adminCredential
    and it will prompt for your Office365 admin credentials then connect you as relevant.

To connect to Exchange in Office 365, use
    Code:
    Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
    $LiveCred = Get-Credential
    $Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://ps.outlook.com/powershell/ -Credential $LiveCred -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
    Import-PSSession $Session
    3) Look up staged migrations - I just went through that in Feb half term, you can move people over a chunk at a time via CSVs and a few commands. Migrate Mailboxes to Exchange Online with a Staged Migration: Exchange Online Help and Performing a Staged Exchange Migration to Office 365 (Exchange Online) - (Part 1) :: Exchange Online :: Office 365 :: Articles & Tutorials :: MSExchange.org were guides I used, you can work out where you're at between them.

4) Here's a guide I wrote for students to run them through the free Office - seems to have gone ok for us Installing your free copies of Microsoft Office.doc
    @sonofsanta what does connecting to exchange in office 365 do? What does your script do? How will this affect my users.. at the moment my test pupil hit the outlook tab and o365 errors and wont let you leave the errored page.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Connecting to an Exchange session lets you use all the Exchange commands like Set-Mailbox etc. that aren't available if you only connect to plain old Office 365. That script doesn't do anything in and of itself - it just gets you a command prompt running on your Exchange installation in the cloud, effectively. It redirects you to the appropriate place based on your admin credentials so you don't need to edit that, just run it as is and Office 365 does the cleverness.

The top (one line) script is what connects you to plain old Office 365, to use commands like Set-MSOLUser for actions like licensing.

Bear in mind that some changes can only be made locally and synchronised up if you keep your AD as the authoratitive source (which you're likely to, unless you have very specific reasons to do otherwise) - but you can script those changes in PowerShell locally if needs be.

What error is it throwing for students?

Thank Post
    I'll have a problem migrating.. I use selfcerts

The pupils issue right now is when they click on the outlook tab the page says "something went wrong :-(" details shows UserHasNoMailboxException. This is annoying by itself but the second issue is that you're stuck there. The back button logout & login again and it takes you back to the error page! Even on other PCs!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can get a single domain cert (webmail.school.sch.uk) for <£50 for a year from GoDaddy, I'm sure there are cheaper (or even free to schools) available.

Have your users got the Exchange licence ticked? Even if you've migrated nothing over, the act of licensing them for Exchange creates a mailbox IIRC.

Thank Post
    I wasn't ready to start phase 2 (the moving of email to 0365)

@sonofsanta couldn't trouble you for a power script to disable /remove the exchange license of all my users?

I seem to be leaning on you a little too much lately.

Thank Post
    Get a free 90 day certificate from InstantSSL. I use them when I need to do migrations and SSL isn't setup.

18. Thanks to snagrat from:

chazzy2501 (25th March 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast