+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, CrashPlan as a Main Server Backup in Technical; I am advising a small school that is considering moving main backup to an online backup service. I have been ...

Thank Post

CrashPlan as a Main Server Backup

I am advising a small school that is considering moving main backup to an online backup service.

I have been looking at Redstor and Oakford, but CrashPlan is considerably cheaper. I know we have some CrashPlan users on the Edugeek, but have also seen some say they use it just for key files rather than a full backup.

I know it cannot do system state or SQL backup, but I was thinking I could back these up using Windows/SQL backup to a local drive then sync that with CrashPlan. The main limitation seems to be that CrashPlan will not ship data backups on disk. The volume of data we are talking about could be downloaded in about 14 hours, and if I start with the system state file that might be better than shipping data anyway.

Is CrashPlan appropriate for a main backup? Is it reliable enough?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollity View Post
    I am advising a small school that is considering moving main backup to an online backup service.

I have been looking at Redstor and Oakford, but CrashPlan is considerably cheaper. I know we have some CrashPlan users on the Edugeek, but have also seen some say they use it just for key files rather than a full backup.

I know it cannot do system state or SQL backup, but I was thinking I could back these up using Windows/SQL backup to a local drive then sync that with CrashPlan. The main limitation seems to be that CrashPlan will not ship data backups on disk. The volume of data we are talking about could be downloaded in about 14 hours, and if I start with the system state file that might be better than shipping data anyway.

Is CrashPlan appropriate for a main backup? Is it reliable enough?
    To answer specifically about CrashPlan, no it should not be used, all the data is held outside EU and if you try to buy a non home product you get this page: https://www.crashplanpro.com/busines...rnational.html

3. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Jollity (10th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    To answer specifically about CrashPlan, no it should not be used, all the data is held outside EU and if you try to buy a non home product you get this page: https://www.crashplanpro.com/busines...rnational.html
    A fair point, but not a problem I think. I should have been clearer that I am looking at CrashPlan's UK franchise CeeJay who have servers in Dublin and Manchester. It is not actually possible to purchase the US product here. Here is their page on security if anyone wants to pick holes in it.

Edit: I should also note that I am looking at the CrashPlan PROe product rather than the consumer product, though I am not sure precisely how they differ.
    Last edited by Jollity; 10th March 2014 at 01:11 AM.

5. Thanks to Jollity from:

ZeroHour (10th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollity View Post
    A fair point, but not a problem I think. I should have been clearer that I am looking at CrashPlan's UK franchise CeeJay who have servers in Dublin and Manchester. It is not actually possible to purchase the US product here. Here is their page on security if anyone wants to pick holes in it.

Edit: I should also note that I am looking at the CrashPlan PROe product rather than the consumer product, though I am not sure precisely how they differ.
    Sorry I had no idea they had resellers/hosts in EU, you would think they would list it on that page lol

Thank Post
    Haven't looked extensively at the pro version, but one option on the free version is back up to another computer across the internet. You could try and come to an arrangement with a local school - your data is encrypted and you could get hold of the back up disk quickly in an emergency.

Edit: It supports multiple destinations so you could back up to Crashplan's servers too for extra resilience.
    Last edited by jmak; 10th March 2014 at 09:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Sorry I had no idea they had resellers/hosts in EU, you would think they would list it on that page lol
    Yes you would. I only found them because it was mentioned on one of the previous threads in Edugeek. If I try to buy on the CrashPlan US site, I just get a big "Sorry, CrashPlan PRO is not available in your area. Please contact sales for alternatives to back up your important data."

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread