+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Cloud Services Thread, Cloud, SaaS and SoSaas - Same old Software, as a Service in Technical; Mate just emailed me @ GREED , recommended I started selling "I survived Matt40k" t-shirts lol! @ vikpaw or someone ...

Thank Post
    Mate just emailed me @GREED, recommended I started selling "I survived Matt40k" t-shirts lol!
    @vikpaw or someone could you move this topic to "Cloud Services" so it's clear this isn't about "MIS systems" and isn't a sales pitch.

2. Thanks to matt40k from:

GREED (2nd March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to get one in time for Edugeek Conference this year. Serious.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Mate just emailed me @GREED, recommended I started selling "I survived Matt40k" t-shirts lol!
    @vikpaw or someone could you move this topic to "Cloud Services" so it's clear this isn't about "MIS systems" and isn't a sales pitch.
    Thread has been moved.
    Yes the mods have been watching, and some of the material has been borderline.
    It's an interesting discussion and so long as everyone behaves and keeps the talk technical and general where possible then it's very useful.

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

matt40k (3rd March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks @vikpaw.
    @GREED - HAHA!! You'll be one of very few who could I could honestly say has earnt it and has yet to lose the right.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    'I survived Matt40K' It's almost like 'I survived Mount xyz, 40k ft!'
    and boy is it like an epic climb to change your opinion
    I like it

You should get @SYSMAN_MK to design a Tee.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 3rd March 2014 at 11:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Hahaha, @Schoolcomms climbed mount 40k pretty easily. I think sharing core beliefs help. Capita keeps climbing it only to fail flat on their face moments later. I should do a some like the food hygiene ratings so at least companies would have something to show for the pain I inflict

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If he designs one I'll get one made up. I'm serious!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm bumping this thread and would like to ask @bromcom_PR & @pwainewright to rejoin and push the discussion on the concepts of Cloud vs not cloud and SaaS vs SoSaaS. I'm not saying I endorse SoSaaS quite yet but that is another story.

I spoke with @Bromcom_PR last night and while I still feel the approach needs refinement, the topic started and the purpose are still an interesting topic to flesh out, I do agree with that. So if we can keep from mentioning specific product names or obvious features, can we restart? I'm all for being proved wrong!!

Thank Post
    I think the first post was excellent, posting in MIS section was perhaps not correct, it was let down by the first reply also that sent this really off topic. I agree with the core statement, non-cloud products don't work well in the cloud and they need to be completely re-written. Does anyone disagree? However we must except the bottom line is to decrease the total cost of ownership. This is why people are moving to the cloud. Period. How we prove that is difficult - especially in the context we find ourselves.

Thank Post
    @GREED I'm happy to continue the discussion and I'm going to start off by disagreeing with @matt40k when he says:

the bottom line is to decrease the total cost of ownership. This is why people are moving to the cloud. Period.
    Really if that's the only reason you're doing it then you're missing a lot of the value. In the business world we're seeing that people are moving to the cloud primarily for reasons like:

- they can get up-to-date functionality without a long wait to plan a physical implementation of new technology
    - the functionality stays fresh because of frequent updates
    - it keeps pace with new forms of interaction, eg mobile, Twitter, other cloud services, etc
    - you can do smaller implementation projects and add extra functions incrementally without being locked into a single proprietary supplier (this is a big part of why the Government Digital Service is pushing cloud first)

It's probably also true that it's costing less, feature-for-feature, than older technology, but you probably end up spending the same because you get more value. In fact we're starting to see terms like 'total lifetime value' being used rather than 'total cost of ownership'.

The TCO comparison assumes you have two equivalent systems and that each has a set purchase cost and running cost. What it doesn't take into account is the extra cost of not being able to stay up-to-date with a less flexible system.
    -

Thank Post
    TCO isn't just about direct costs like licensing, or hardware. It includes things like the time to update the system, not just you applying the update but how long it takes for that new feature to appear. A cloud based solution will be able to roll out new features a lot faster then traditional providers, just look Microsoft Office, how quickly new features are appearing. This is why I said it's hard to quantify the true TCO. It really needs to be done a detailed level, that's why I said I won't independently test memory savings in my own personal time as it doesn't provide it'll reduce the TCO. Really we need to boil the problem down to the core, what are the business requirements, how often to they change, how much is to do SaaS solution and how much would a SoSaaS solution. Not just in cost but in resources (ok, you can put a money value on this as well to a certain point), what is the true TCO, how can you prove good value and that it will benefit your core goals.

IT is progressively moving forward and I think we agree SaaS is the way forward? Correct?

Going slightly off topic, my only point is, in the UK MIS market, where changes is guaranteed which by all accounts agile\cloud ideals should be no1, no-one has yet stepped up - and that's my opinion. It's my challenge to the market. I want to see in @GREED #MISChallenge suppliers providing that Capita overcharges, that they can provide the same if not better system for less. Or if it's costs more, really see what spending that extra money will do to improve the education of children, like my son, because that is the core business requirement. At least that's my position and I hope, the rest of EduGeek. Ideally I'd like to see more choice, in the market. I'd like to see more transparency and honesty and I'd like the flexibility that it comes from that. I think we're heading in that direction what with the G-Cloud and if DfE steps up and forces something like SIF so the whole migration problem disappear - the MIS market would be in a lot healthier position. Anyway, sorry for going off topic.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567