+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 101
Cloud Services Thread, Cloud, SaaS and SoSaas - Same old Software, as a Service in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k Sorry, that's 300,000 for a 300 pupil primary?! Seriously? Just on admin side? Really? Matt40, Key ...
  1. #76

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    57
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Sorry, that's 300,000 for a 300 pupil primary?! Seriously? Just on admin side? Really?
    Matt40,
    Key discussion subject of this thread and the test / the report you have asked from. Bromcom-PR that you received is about Cloud, SaaS and SoSaaS. The tests were designed to demonstrate the impact of client-server application's inability to share computing resources (specifically executable code and working RAM storage), falling outside NIST Cloud definition and how this manifests itself massively in terms of RAM usage. Performance or any other aspects aren't within the subject matter. Happy to discuss performance and any other aspects but that should be under a new thread.

    We do not intend to provide blow by blow response to you. We will leave to other forum members to comment, at least first instant. However you have misread (or our press release isn't clear enough) hence we need to correct a gross misquote in your repose in above.

    "300,000 for a 300 pupil primary " - 300,000 refers to LA-wide solution with 300 primary schools!!!

  2. #77

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,384
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 637 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromcom-PR View Post
    Matt40
    No comment


    Quote Originally Posted by Bromcom-PR View Post
    test / the report you have asked from.
    I've asked for unbiased test. I think @GREED will agree this isn't the case.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bromcom-PR View Post
    However you have misread (or our press release isn't clear enough) hence we need to correct a gross misquote in your repose in above.

    "300,000 for a 300 pupil primary " - 300,000 refers to LA-wide solution with 300 primary schools!!!
    I apologies, I stand correct. I was eager to get try out my new graphic card so I was skim reading. However I still thing this is an over estimate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bromcom-PR View Post
    SaaS and SoSaaS
    First post yes, then Phil sent us waaay off topic and it's barely stayed neutral, pwainewright post was probably the only neutral posts we've had!! You've basically turned it into a marketing post! You've not since posted anything factual since the first post other then sales nonsense, I am quite frankly surprised the mods have deleted\locked this thread!!

    If you really want to public hard facts that WILL get Bromcom into more school. Don't bother with this rubbish figures and "tests". Get Bromcom on the G-Cloud CloudStore then when LAs\Schools get the large Capita bill, they can, for themselves, look at what other schools are actually paying.

    PS: Free tip, you've completely missed my point about your security - I've publicly stated your shared resources COULD be insecure and leaking data. If I did this with SIMS, I'd have @PhilNeal banging on about pen testing for the next 4 posts and a phone call asking if I have found any.


    Anyway I've wasted enough time of my personal arguing with you about "SaaS and SoSaaS", especially when we all agreed SaaS is better then SoSaaS :S


    All the best

  3. #78

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,976
    Thank Post
    367
    Thanked 359 Times in 293 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    173
    Well, let me see if I can add anything here.

    Firstly, this whole thread is not unbiased, while treading carefully not to blatantly break the rules there has been the underlying message that Bromcom is better than SIMS in a hosted environment. For this thread to have really been worth much it would have been better to have compared two products where there is not a vested interest (Say SIMS and Progresso (when it is working ), or SIMS and Aspen MIS . In fact I think the only reason Mods have let this fly is it encompasses some very interesting fact and stimulus for discussion.

    Next, yes SaaS should always be 'better' than client/server in terms of performance for the masses. Lets not argue the toss as to what is meant by 'better'. If SaaS applications are not then they have not been built particularly well.

    I'm still unconvinced by the difference between SaaS and 'SoSaaS' and blurring that with Cloud too, but for the moment lets leave that there too. I'm not saying they are equal I just don't think they exist separately under definition.

    I have to agree with @matt40k this test was titled at 'Efficiency of Server Utilization' but then focuses simply on memory usage, and I'd be interested to know how this memory usage was checked (not just firing up system manager I hope). Regardless, memory is only one aspect of server efficiency, and I would argue, keeping in mind how cheap memory is these days compared to other requirement, the least important. It is/was also the most obvious that was going to be a winner.
    @matt40k you lost me on your calculations, I'm not questioning but I need walking through and understanding the point you are making. I agree with @Bromcom_PR you have taken this figure wrong, I read this as 300k for all primary schools, so 1k per school. Not bad. Regardless, there is the argument that with this '50-fold' saving then should Bromcom be proportionally cheaper than SIMS? I'm not suggesting 50 fold as there are different overheads associated with a different style of technology, but significantly cheaper none the less. I'm not commenting further as I really don't know typical prices.

    My real question though is where is the raw data for comparison, I'd like to know exactly how the test was run, what were the results, under what conditions, what controls were put into place, how often was this test run over a period of time... For this to be as scientific as it is being made out to be I would want to know these things from an objective standpoint.

    I am forced to agree again with @matt40k (what is wrong with the world!), this being used as sales banter, hard-lined 'evidence' to thrust onto LAs and the likes is not evidence at all. Firstly, this should be run independently of and MIS supplier to ensure fair play. By reputable individuals to produce results, those result able to be used by anyone as evidence to their claims. I'd like to have seen much larger conclusions made on the document too, not a small graphic with a single figure of memory use. This is not evidence nor scientific. I would argue too that such a test, for it to be really useful, would be to routinely test against all major suppliers, and in particular other web based solutions, there are a fair number out there now! As well, is this really sales banter, would an LA really make a huge decision like this based on the fact that one uses less memory than the other?

    There is no question Bromcom MIS will be more efficient overall that SIMS (all 300 odd installations), don't really think that needed mentioning or 6 pages of posts to work out. SIMS 8 in 3 years will be interesting then...

    I did consider including a bench test in the MIS Challenge (which is nearly finished now BTW), perhaps if there were enough interested parties I'll consider it for the summer...

    I'd like to caveat this before I get snotty emails or phone calls; you all know me well enough on here to know I always challenge SIMS and @PhilNeal and while I have no great love or allegiance personally for Capita (Just look at some of my past posts!) I do respect them and their achievements professionally, as much as I do anyone else, and will always put forward an objective opinion on their product and anyone else's. Perhaps I should do a full PC Pro style review of all MISs later in year!
    Last edited by GREED; 27th February 2014 at 11:56 AM.

  4. #79

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,384
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 637 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    I agree my initial post ripping into the costs was a bit hastily, however I still question the figures. I just don't want people thinking that they save tons then when you drill down to it, the cost savings isn't that much. The only person who wins then is the consultant you got in and you know my feels about THOSE consultants that we don't speak of! If you quote figures, then it needs to be hard facts that are iron clad. Thus my comment about actually making the final cost public as that is the bottom line and that's all that matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I am forced to agree again with @matt40k (what is wrong with the world!)
    I think I might get a lottery ticket now

  5. #80

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    57
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Could I have a copy?!
    Hi Phil,

    When we offered the Tests and Report on this form, we did not have suppliers in mind. We also assumed all knew this was not about Company A against Company B but comparison of two different technologies - client server vs web application in hosted/cloud environment and specifically about RAM Storage and sharing exe etc... We also expected grown up discussions on this very serious subject. Press release link was made available to satisfy calls to have the Test and Report public. It is not even new - dated 2012 and it wasn't put on the form to seek a sales pitch.

    We welcome to have Capita's (and any other supplier) own review and assessment of our Report and we trust that we will have grown up and objective feedback. We hope this will add value and move forward the discussions.

    Please PM us to deal with the procedure (NDA etc..) and arrange for you to have a copy.

  6. #81

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,384
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 637 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Surely it wouldn't be professional for @PhilNeal to publicly post regarding this? I mean I'm not sure how he can provide objective feedback when your asking him to sign a NDA? When myself and Graham didn't? Bizarre.

    Also, I know keep banging on about it like a broken record, but could you please post publicly about your security auditing you have in place specially regarding your cloud application, this is now the 3rd time I've publicly asked. Maybe it's just me being young but surely a cloud application that shares resources between users, I personally, would kinda think it would be important to be externally audited by a professional security firm to confirm it is actually secure and doesn't have lot of security holes that could let some anonymous hacker access the sensitive data. Just saying, if we're talking about SaaS vs SoSaaS vs Locally hosted - security should be high on the list, like no1. Anyway just my 2p, and what do I know anyway.

  7. #82

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    First post yes, then Phil sent us waaay off topic and it's barely stayed neutral, pwainewright post was probably the only neutral posts we've had!! You've basically turned it into a marketing post! You've not since posted anything factual since the first post other then sales nonsense, I am quite frankly surprised the mods have deleted\locked this thread!!
    Thanks @matt40k for the kind words but I do have to declare in interest in that @Bromcom-PR did originally approach me to write a white paper for them - however while I may sell my writing skills, my opinions are my own!

    Anyhow I have now posted a very thorough article on diginomica setting out my conclusions on this whole SoSaaS vs cloud SaaS argument as it relates to the NIST definition of cloud, which I hope @GREED will find persuasive on the differences - interested in your feedback.

    In @Bromcom-PR's defence, I think it's legitimate to quote the 50-fold RAM comparison as an illustration of the resource wastage that occurs when you virtualize an entire school's Windows desktops in order to deliver an antique client-server app from a datacentre instead of moving to a browser-based alternative. But I do agree with @matt40k that there are many other parameters you have to take into account when evaluating the relative value-for-money of different solutions - including a risk assessment of the security factors.

    Generally speaking, however, the evidence from the wider market seems to be that the entire pay-as-you-go cost of adopting a properly architected, NIST-compliant cloud application will often exceed just the running costs of a conventional client-server system for which you also have to pay a substantial upfront capital expense. The cost differences are often so startling as to seem unbelievable but it's because the resource pooling hoovers up an enormous amount of otherwise idle capacity. In addition, the cloud application will have more frequent, non-disruptive upgrades, allowing an on-the-ball vendor to rapidly add support for new requirements such as tracking Pupil Premium outcomes. Not talking about any specific schools MIS here as I'm not familiar with the detail of any of the products but speaking from the perspective of someone who's studied business adoption of SaaS and cloud for many years.

  8. #83

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    57
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Also, I know keep banging on about it like a broken record, but could you please post publicly about your security auditing you have in place specially regarding your cloud application, this is now the 3rd time I've publicly asked. Maybe it's just me being young but surely a cloud application that shares resources between users, I personally, would kinda think it would be important to be externally audited by a professional security firm to confirm it is actually secure and doesn't have lot of security holes that could let some anonymous hacker access the sensitive data. Just saying, if we're talking about SaaS vs SoSaaS vs Locally hosted - security should be high on the list, like no1. Anyway just my 2p, and what do I know anyway.
    Of course security is of vital importance. The reason why we are declining to respond to questions for specific technical specification relating to Bromcom Cloud MIS is simple: This thread is not about specific MIS from Bromcom or Company X. It is about two different architecture - legacy (@pwainewright calls "antique") client-server vs web application and how they behave in cloud environment.

    It is clear how the "Test & Report document" and the press releases have come about on this thread. Bromcom never had intention to circulate Test and Report but it did because forum members asked for it. Bromcom did not want to publish about - but it did (in press release format) because forum members asked for it. We have not sought using this thread for sales pitch. Yet we are accused so. So we can't win with some!

    Misreading our press release, analysing wrongly with factor of 300, not revisiting to correct your figures in your analysis and then saying "However I still thing this is an over estimate." - this is hardly helpful for constructive discussions.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 28th February 2014 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typos and expanding the last paragraph

  9. #84

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,384
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 637 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Just thinking about this, would this be better in the "Cloud services" area rather then "MIS Systems" just so it is clear this isn't about MIS systems directly but different types of "Cloud". Just thinking a clean "break" might help future discussion so we don't end up keep going back to same discussion of comparing apples and pears. Perhaps if everyone agrees a nice, lovely mod would move this topic?

    Unfortunately in the realms of MIS systems I fear this isn't a good place to discuss - the fact of the matter is final bill cost is the bottom line. Prime example, Norfolk primary requirement was a cloud MIS system, they picked SIMS. Much as it disgust me that such a thing happened, SIMS is clearly not designed for the cloud, I have to admire Capita for pulling it off.

  10. #85

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    the fact of the matter is final bill cost is the bottom line. Prime example, Norfolk primary requirement was a cloud MIS system, they picked SIMS.
    Given everything we have discussed in this thread, it astonishes me that cloud-native SaaS vendors allow themselves to be undercut by client-server SaaS competitors. Hopefully initiative like the G-Cloud CloudStore will bring more transparency to pricing matters and help ensure the public sector doesn't continue to pay over the odds for up-to-date computing resources.

  11. #86

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,976
    Thank Post
    367
    Thanked 359 Times in 293 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by pwainewright View Post
    Given everything we have discussed in this thread, it astonishes me that cloud-native SaaS vendors allow themselves to be undercut by client-server SaaS competitors. Hopefully initiative like the G-Cloud CloudStore will bring more transparency to pricing matters and help ensure the public sector doesn't continue to pay over the odds for up-to-date computing resources.
    But this is assuming that the decision is based on cost alone? Or even just because it is cloud? Your argument doesn't take into account anything about the operation or functionality of the software. The cloud offering might be 1 but if it is a rubbish application then it won't be chosen.

    I might suspect that Norfolk chose SIMS because it is proven to be a functional solution and then got a decent price for it.

    Cannot believe I would say this, me, but SIMS is a capable solution if old... Why else does it have 18000 odd schools? One might question that the functionality is lacking in other solutions, or something else is missing, otherwise your argument would hold up.

  12. #87

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,384
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 637 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    I know it's odd isn't it @pwainewright, that in a sector where anyone can submit a FOI and get the actual price paid, suppliers become very crypt when talking about prices. I know even looking at about hundreds of schools MIS costs, I can't figure out how the supplier came to that price.

    For me, a really good example of how "cloud" could save money is this this article - CatN | Migrating the Department for Transport website to WordPress - ok it's bias, they've picked the worse offender for starters, but if the DfT phoned them up, they could actually get that solution for that that price. Clear, open pricing should be the way forward.

    How dirty do you feel @GREED?

  13. #88

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,976
    Thank Post
    367
    Thanked 359 Times in 293 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    173
    How dirty do you feel @GREED?
    Like a digital pig in virtual cloudy $#!/

  14. #89

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    57
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    NIST and the cloudwashing of client-server SaaS

    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Also, I know keep banging on about it like a broken record, but could you please post publicly about your security auditing you have in place specially regarding your cloud application, this is now the 3rd time I've publicly asked. Maybe it's just me being young but surely a cloud application that shares resources between users, I personally, would kinda think it would be important to be externally audited by a professional security firm to confirm it is actually secure and doesn't have lot of security holes that could let some anonymous hacker access the sensitive data. Just saying, if we're talking about SaaS vs SoSaaS vs Locally hosted - security should be high on the list, like no1. Anyway just my 2p, and what do I know anyway.

    Thank you @matt40k reminding me about security auditing question.

    I thought it is obvious why we haven't been providing response to this or specific technical specification of Bromcom Cloud MIS. This is because this thread it is not about product x or company y. From the outset we started this thread to discuss architectural characteristics, behaviour and suitability of client-server MIS @pwainewright calls it antique - we call it more politely legacy software) vs web based MIS. There are number of MIS suppliers and products that fall under these two type of architectures and hence the arguments apply to all.

    We have been pleased to be able persuade cloud experts @pwainewright to participate in this thread for 'independent' views and as of today this thread has attracted over 2.5k visits within space of 10 days. I trust it has enlighten many and now we understand why client-server is scalability is severely curtailed by its own characteristics. Hence why it is not economical and advisable to deployment approach. It is not because software has been written badly but because programming tools used in developing client-server applications and executable codes are simply are not 'cloud aware'.

    If you haven’t yet visited @pwainewright ’s article – it is worth doing so NIST and the cloudwashing of client-server SaaS

    When we started the thread, we did not have in mind to release the Report on our Tests or the related press release - but because they were requested by the forum members we obliged. I do not think it is then to accuse Bromcom making a sales pitch. In this respect we responded to what has been asked by @matt40k, @GREED and @PhilNeal - no more.

    What has been sad is that despite you analysis was out by factor of 300, rather than re-visiting and correcting your figures, you suffice to say "I still thing (sic) this is an over estimate". I am not sure how this sits within the premise and viewed by the forum that we agreed to share the Report on the basis of you providing balanced/objective feedback. We need to keep this in mind in similar circumstances in future.

    Clearly other topics appear flowing from the most recent postings on this thread and we should branch off so to keep this thread for the purpose it set out.

    Therefore probably this will conclude our posting on this thread and thanks to all participating and visiting.
    Last edited by Bromcom-PR; 1st March 2014 at 05:00 PM.

  15. #90

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,976
    Thank Post
    367
    Thanked 359 Times in 293 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    173
    Lets not loose focus here, this has been a very interesting topic with lots of view put forward. That is key, they are opinions. @matt40k has an opinion (doesn't he always!) which has been countered by yourself @Bromcom-PR there is no need to become frustrated because some readers have not come to the same conclusions you wanted. If that were fair, I would have beaten @matt40k with is own keyboard by now!

    I would say this has walked a fine line on advertising, you started this thread with the aim of showing how Bromcom MIS is more efficient and so more cost effective particularly in LA situations. I would say you have done this well by just staying on the right side of the line. Where you crossed that line was with the now-deleted post where you invited people to call the sales line.

    I think we can mostly put this thread to bed now, all of us have said our piece and it is clear there is still room for debate without resolution.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Working with old software and SIMS .net & RepGen
    By Edu-IT in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11th January 2010, 09:06 AM
  2. Setting up a new DC and demoting the old un to BDC
    By speckytecky in forum Windows
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19th February 2008, 11:35 AM
  3. Old software, free to good home!
    By maniac in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th December 2007, 11:40 PM
  4. Using old machine as Print Server
    By SimpleSi in forum *nix
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22nd September 2006, 04:51 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10th April 2006, 10:35 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •