+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Cloud, SaaS and SoSaas - Same old Software, as a Service in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k They shouldn't really tell you for security, + + + + + + + So I ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    They shouldn't really tell you for security,

+ + + + + + +

So I would guess they have a private cloud ....
    Thank matt40k

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They shouldn't really tell you for security, but an educated guess...

They list two cloud providers on their site:
    Bromcom Computers Plc - Partners

Colocation Cloud Hosting & UK Datacentre Provider | Pulsant
    and
    Managed Hosting | Dedicated Servers & Cloud Hosting | UKFast

So I would guess they have a private cloud using something like vmware.
    I would suggest a customer MUST know where and how their data is being stored... no?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ahh, you're referring to the naughty @PhilNeal who's using his salesman skills to distract us whilst the Capita developers finish of SIMS 8 so we don't badge Capita with rainy clouds. Didn't your mother warning you about following other people?
    Not really as we are talking about Cloud MIS and how this interaction happens with API.

Stop looking for naughtiness... I can see right through you!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I would suggest a customer MUST know where and how their data is being stored... no?
    Agree to a certain point. Normally you know where the primary site is but you never know where the backup site is, you just a get legal document confirming that it is in the UK and it is signed off by an independent company or you'd have to sign a NDA all depending on the level of security we're talking.

I can tell you that Azure has a DC in Ireland, not sure I can tell you the exact location. Could be wrong. I just wouldn't think you'd want to be able to find a data center with 22,000 schools MIS systems on Google Maps.

Personally I'd like to know it's in England and no backups, regards of if they are encrypted or not*, leave England. Not too fussed about exact locations so long as they have a primary and secondary and they're not next door to each other (ideally something like Manchester and London). I'm sure Ireland would be fine, its just, well if its within the same country I'd assume it would be easier to deal with issues that might occur. I just assume it might get a bit sticky trying to comply with two sets of government legislation, ones bad enough.

All boils down to trust. End of the day even if you get a guided tour of a data center in England, doesn't mean the data isn't forwarding to China or USA.

* I'm just saying this as we know the NSA can break most encryption and surely having a database full of all the UK children with behaviour reports and critical life events kinda makes for a good platform for making predictions about the future adult population of the UK. Paranoid I know.

Thank Post
    Usually schools question whether data is in within UK, EU or elsewhere. Yes, Bromcom's data is within UK.

LA's in tenders even ask to inspect the data-centres. Yes, they are welcome to inspect.
    Last edited by Bromcom-PR; 19th February 2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ISO 27001 certification would be useful for you to have, if not already.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I agree @matt40k @Bromcom-PR In the UK is acceptable under DPA, although I would want to know where backups are too, not just a random signed agreement. A customer should know themselves, it is their responsibility too not just suppliers in telling them. Potentially, yes a school should be able to visit the site.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I agree @matt40k @Bromcom-PR In the UK is acceptable under DPA, although I would want to know where backups are too, not just a random signed agreement. A customer should know themselves, it is their responsibility too not just suppliers in telling them. Potentially, yes a school should be able to visit the site.
    But the buyer can sort that with the vendor, it doesn't need to be revealed here for the world.

Thank Post
    Other one is data erasing. How would you ensure that once your end the contract that they securely destroy the data.

Thing is, if they give you a legal document saying the data never leaves the UK and when you leave they securely destroy the data along with any backups - they're only ever going to get it wrong once, the fines and penalties are ridiculous. Pretty sure if it's an individuals fault they can be liable for life imprisonment. Personally I think I can trust a company when the MD signs his life away - literally.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    But the buyer can sort that with the vendor, it doesn't need to be revealed here for the world.
    Why does it need to be secretive? If all customers know, the data is out there. I'm saying that in the UK is fine publicly, not sure where the confusion is? I'm saying that the buyer individually should know.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally I think I can trust a company when the MD signs his life away - literally.
    So bank bosses that were fiddling numbers into the billions? That means nothing at all! having MD sign anything. All that means is who you are blame after the event, not safeguard in the first place!

I'm not making trouble if you read my posts carefully, I promise you. I'm just saying that information should be available if requested, there needs to get away from this secretive hush hush side, and more from the customer side they should be actively aware!
    Last edited by GREED; 19th February 2014 at 02:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Fair point but like I said. Having something on your site saying UK only DC and letting people visit the DC and signing a document confirming this - it still comes down to trust. They could move the servers the day after, or forward your data outside of Europe. You of course build the trust by visiting the DC and checking out what they telling you.

One day @GREED we'll get to a point where we don't have any of these dark spots where information is hidden behind a NDA or the maze that is SupportNet

13. Thanks to matt40k from:

GREED (19th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fair point but like I said. Having something on your site saying UK only DC and letting people visit the DC and signing a document confirming this - it still comes down to trust. They could move the servers the day after, or forward your data outside of Europe. You of course build the trust by visiting the DC and checking out what they telling you.

One day @GREED we'll get to a point where we don't have any of these dark spots where information is hidden behind a NDA or the maze that is SupportNet
    Yes we basically agree

If I were being picky I would suggest that the more expensive or difficult it is to make such changes as you suggest the greater the trust you build.

Thank Post
    I would suggest that the more expensive or difficult it is to make such changes as you suggest the greater the trust you build.
    If by greater trust, you mean increase the chances that I would hunt you down and break your legs if you should break that trust

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not just that, but fundamentally the more difficult or expensive it would be to say change the location of the data center overnight, the less likely it is a bona fide company would do that. ..

Checks legs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast