+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Moving to google apps in Technical; Moving to Cloud Services forum....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to Cloud Services forum.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    This is similar to what I saw at BETT from Realsmart realsmart: your learning portfolio but it was expensive.
    Thanks for that, I've not seen that one before. You wern't joking. My Primary schools would cost 2500 against RM's version at 400? Has the earth just tilted on it's axis? There must be some thing I'm missing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyPete View Post
    Thanks for that, I've not seen that one before. You wern't joking. My Primary schools would cost 2500 against RM's version at 400? Has the earth just tilted on it's axis? There must be some thing I'm missing.
    I had a demo at BETT and it all looked good. Peaked my interest until he told me the price.
    Magellan might be another option.https://cse-magellan.co.uk/Magellan/Main/Shell

Thank Post
    It's used here, but primarily Google Docs and Sites (we still use on-premises Exchange). From what I gather the docs part is used quite heavily and it seems to work well. We have the AD sync and password sync working, as well as single sign on to Google using ADFS, which is something the staff appreciated hugely!

We also have a trolley of Chromebooks so it obviously works well with them.

Thank Post
    This is one of my issues with GAPPS too, the safeguarding - GAPPS is free but if you need to see what a pupil has been doing you have to go third party (or change their password) considering its for education, Google dropped a ball on this imho.

I agree about the interface too, the new one is a mess luckily you don't really need to go into it very often!

Thank Post
    +vote for google here. Simple to setup and easier to manage than 365's SharePoint. Also the use of Chromebooks is the best thing to happen in education in along time.

Thank Post
    Have any of the migraters (is that a word?!) ported all of their exchange mailboxes over? We have 200gb of exchange database to carry over if possible.

Thank Post
    Ported all the staff mailboxes over, not the student ones - which I clear out in the summer anyway. It takes a while to migrate and I'd personally do it in batches. It works quite well with plenty of logs if things go wrong, if a mailbox doesn't transfer properly you can just redo it and it won't do duplicates.

Thank Post
    Has anyone migrated from one Google Apps domain to another? In our case from the LA domain to our own. There's lots about moving from Exchange, but I haven't seen anything about this scenario.

rdk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    There's a few niggles which bug me with it, not being able to expand users in mailing lists - something I get constantly asked about and if a folder is shared with a group a new user in that group doesn't automatically get those files (as per windows)
    I agree this is a bit of a niggle.

We are a fully Google Apps for Education school, having used docs/drive for the last few years then moved to gmail last year (~1050 users). We have lots of subject based websites to deliver curriculum, and documents & presentations (esp) used by teachers, embedded in the subject websites. Have a look here for an example: Chemistry-RK

One other bigg-ish niggle is organising ownership of resources: individual teachers vs some sort of faculty account vs some sort of curriculum account. This is turning out to be a bigger issue than I first thought. Also if students and teachers are on the same domain, be prepared for documents/email etc shared with students to come from "Julie Brown" rather than "Ms Brown".

Thank Post
    I suppose when I break it down, there's probably 30-50 staff who have critical stuff in their inbox, the rest maybe not so much. Most of the students (apart from sixth form) wouldn't even notice if we didn't port their mailboxes over as I imagine their inbox is just full of 'lol' 'lmao' type of messages anyway!

Thank Post
    We are totally Google, and have minimal problems and zero downtime. Your eggs are probably in safe hands as Google provides tools to extract your data from their clutches if you deem it necessary. see here: https://support.google.com/accounts/.../3024190?hl=en

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    My concerns aren't really relevant - once SMT has seen a) shiny new VLE and b) cost saving of free email then its almost impossible to counter that. Well, here anyway!

Having said that, I can see the advantages of all this, but I have reservations about cutting exchange out of our organisation.
    @jallsop - what DP concerns did you have to make you want to withdraw? I thought the whole google education thing was neatly tied up for UK data laws? Personally I'd rather we provided our own cloud systems but that costs money and google doesn't.
    I'm based in Switzerland, and the group of schools I belong to did some digging. If you register a .uk or other EU address, then your primary data store will be in the EU zone, however, the reflected backup, we've learned, may fall outside the EU DPA compliant countries. For Swiss education users, it is normal to follow the same rules as the .uk users. But the AUS rules don't meet the EU DPA either, we've learned.
    In the end it is the managing groups decision, not mine. Part of the reason comes down to the kind of students, or more rightly, parents we have. The information about them must remain as tightly controlled as possible. Non EU DPA countries are not trusted by the group, so we have to look for other solutions. We've got about 24 months we think.
    Hope 365 gets better soon. Still not impressed with the realtime collaboration and versioning in MS products, and will so miss the forms and other little extras that Google has developed, or added from 3rd parties.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    This is similar to what I saw at BETT from Realsmart realsmart: your learning portfolio but it was expensive.
    Hmm just had a demo with these guys. It was interesting...but I can't help thinking would we be better off looking at Google Apps on our own? That said, we are looking primarily at a VLE replacement for Fronter and I don't know how a VLE would look on a vanilla Google Apps install.

We already have Mail but given our LA support team is rumoured to be going private, we are having to look at alternatives.

Thank Post
    Oh the other thing I forgot, Mail merges I can't get the admin staff to escape from exchange and outlook... (very annoying) How is everyone else mail merging with gapps ? I've introduced them to mail chimp but they can't grasp it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast