+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Off-site cloud backups, who, how much (gb) and how much ()?? in Technical; Hello! I'm doing a little fact finding exercise and am curious. How much data are people backing up to off-site ...

Thank Post

Off-site cloud backups, who, how much (gb) and how much ()??

Hello!

I'm doing a little fact finding exercise and am curious. How much data are people backing up to off-site cloud based services and what sort of price are they paying? We currently use MS DPM to do our backups, with the backup server located in a different building across site from the server room. Whilst I'm happy this is sufficiently separated, it was raised in a recent governors meeting that this might not be enough, specifically in the context of having an airfield near-by and being over-flown by light aircraft occasionally!

Thanks!

Thank Post
    We did due redstore to backup our exchange server a couple of years ago and that cost around 650 per annum for 250gb i think. Seemed like a nice idea but we had a couple of issues with it and i lost faith in the integrity of the backups it was taking in the end so brought it back onsite.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    We did due redstore to backup our exchange server a couple of years ago and that cost around 650 per annum for 250gb i think. Seemed like a nice idea but we had a couple of issues with it and i lost faith in the integrity of the backups it was taking in the end so brought it back onsite.
    How so? We were actually looking into employing the RBUSS facility.

Thank Post
    System lost good seeded backups and resulting in several instances where we had to reseed overnight and start from scratch. The client support for exchange 2010 was buggy at best and support was slow to respond to issues.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    How are you finding it Ben, or anyone else for that matter? At 20 a month it seems very cheap?

Thank Post
    Our feeder primaries, who we support, get Attix backup through the LA (so not sure of cost).

Been impressed with the service though.

Attix5 Pro Server Edition & Plug-ins

Thank Post
    I believe MS just announced a 50% reduction on Azure cloud storage in line with reductions from Amazon?

we use rbuss\attix at 3 schools to backup SIMS and some SMT data, its around 300\400 per year, then local backups to DPM in separate locations - I think rbuss is a good \ reliable scheme but can get expensive when backing up user data.

I had DPM to Azure storage running as a test a while back but it was more about testing the tech rather then the price, what worried me was the "faff" factor in how data is going to be resorted, if I have a onsite DPM server with security credentials to access my cloud backup, and that DPM server was just wiped out by a flood\fire\whatever then how quick\easy is it going to be for me to get something else running to access the cloud considering I am in the middle of a disaster.

The other option If you have multiple locations is to backup DPM servers from one site to another, something I am also looking currently as possibly cheaper and quicker to access when needed than Azure. As I am generally rather suspicious - as is my business manager - of "pay as you go" data use.

hope that helps.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    We tend to be satisfied keeping all backups on-site, but replicating to separate buildings (we have a sprawling site), using Veeam and other tools.

I've never been comfortable trusting a third party with the college data, however robust SLAs might be. If I get challenged from a data governance/security perspective as to where the data resides, I can point to the various SAN and NAS units that house it. I like it that way.

We also have access control, CCTV and climate monitoring in place, managed by the college, adding further peace of mind about the security and safety of the information.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jbailey View Post
    I believe MS just announced a 50% reduction on Azure cloud storage in line with reductions from Amazon?
    Ah - I see Amazon are now offering reduced-redundancy storage (they might have been offering that for a while, I just didn't notice) for around 40 per TB per month. That's still going to get pricy if you start heading up into multi-TB stores of photos and so forth.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread