+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Primary school email in Technical; Afternoon all, Not sure where to put this. Currently in the process of moving over to Schools Broadband, having read ...

Thank Post

Unhappy Primary school email

Afternoon all,

Not sure where to put this.

Currently in the process of moving over to Schools Broadband, having read the nice sales man email "Our solution also includes Microsoft 365 email with as many email addresses for staff & pupils as required" I didn't give it a second thought and assumed this would be suitable for our pupils.

I know that our current provider (LLN) filters emails based on keywords etc. to make emails safe for children, looking into Office 365 the safety is not that comprehensive...I was considering using mail flow to block external emails, but have found that to be licensed to use this you have to be on the A3 plan - which for amount of staff/pupils would be way too much (going from completely free A2 to around 9000 A3 is ridiculous licensing). I have contacted Schools Broadband but they never got back to me.

If anyone has any opinions that would be great, I know other primaries are with Schools Broadband so would be interesting to know there thoughts. Is our only option to buy into some type of pupil safe email / VLE package? Or would Outlook on Office 365 be OK in this environment? Is there any guidance/restrictions email solutions for children?

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    We use Mailflow on our students Office365 email and dont pay a penny for it. We block all external emails to in and out for students but only allow certain domains that we trust such as vivomiles, beatbullying, kudos etc to email them.

Thank Post
    How'd you get it for free??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If @SchoolsBroadband see this, is it possible to move off the FarceHosts based email for the earlier customers onto O365 as above? (solving the 100mb mailbox issue!)

Thank Post
    I just signed up for the email side when it was live@edu and when it moved over to office365 it came with it. Just checking my licenses now and ive got Exchange Online (plan 1) for students - Cost: 0.00/month and Office 365 ProPlus for Student - Cost: Product Key.

Thank Post
    @timbo343 I signed up for Office 365 A2 plan earlier last year and when you go to exchange settings > mail flow > add rule you are informed the following:
    Rights Management Services (RMS) is a premium feature that requires an Enterprise Client Access License (CAL) or a RMS Online license for each user mailbox. Learn more
    I've contacted Microsoft cloud something or other support who informed me that the only way for me to license this was to move from the free A2 plan to the A3 plan.

Thank Post
    Yeah i see that at the bottom of my screen, see attached screen shots but i have rules in place for all the students rather than individual email addresses. I guess you want to block specific groups of email addresses?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Really confused.

I called Microsoft, told them I want any incoming mail not on our domain blocked for any member of the student group. They told me to use any of the mail flow features you have to upgrade to A3?

Thank Post
    I've contacted Microsoft again, however I get the feeling the answer will be the same...

I take it nobody would use Office 365 email for primary years 4 to 6 if I can't block external? Or am I being overly cautious?

Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable email? Found a couple of providers, such as Exa PupilMail.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beany1 View Post
    Really confused.

I called Microsoft, told them I want any incoming mail not on our domain blocked for any member of the student group. They told me to use any of the mail flow features you have to upgrade to A3?
    I'm worried if they've changed this. We're using Mail flow / mail rules for students on an A2 licence. And we have a rule that blocks mail coming from outside the domain to members of a selected group.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcwhitworth View Post
    I'm worried if they've changed this. We're using Mail flow / mail rules for students on an A2 licence. And we have a rule that blocks mail coming from outside the domain to members of a selected group.
    Same here, works without trouble. Here's how to setup rules

Thank Post
    Well Pugh and Phoenix software have both told me that you have to be on A3 or above, I contact Microsoft Online Services Support who did indeed confirm that:

This is just a quick email to confirm that for the feature Tech Support have advised you is necessary to manage your emails as required - to only be able to send/receive internal emails, not external ones - it will be necessary to upgrade to the A3 subscription. You can see this on the "compare plans" table here:
    Isn't there a lot of Microsoft people on Edugeek that could help clear this up...?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beany1 View Post
    Well Pugh and Phoenix software have both told me that you have to be on A3 or above, I contact Microsoft Online Services Support who did indeed confirm that:

Isn't there a lot of Microsoft people on Edugeek that could help clear this up...?
    It simply isn't true, honestly I'm looking at it on my screen now.

Thank Post
    @Michael ????

What isn't true...? Looking at what...?

Should I ignore said companies and do it anyway, because Michael said so?

Thank Post
    Whatever you do, just don't buy RM Easymail. RM 'goes down every now and again, awful and infuriating web interface'mail would be a better name.

16. Thanks to mats from:

beany1 (9th January 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast