+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Saving SharePoint via Office 2013 in Technical; For anyone who's got Office 365 and the Office 2013 desktop apps was wondering if you can try something and ...
    Thank Post

Thumbs down Saving SharePoint via Office 2013

For anyone who's got Office 365 and the Office 2013 desktop apps was wondering if you can try something and let me know what happens?

• Imagine you've set up Team Sites e.g. for staff or classes and a user wants to save into one of those sites (rather than the default organisation-wide team site or your personal folder)
    • You've already signed into Word with your Office 365 account
    • You create a document in Word then go to File > Save As and you should see SharePoint @ Your Organisation as the top option
    • You should see two locations, the overall shared site and your SkyDrive Pro library

At that point you should be able to do this...

• Login to Office 365 and go to Sites
    • Navigate to a Document Library within a Team Site
    • When you get the click the Library tab
    • Click Connect to Office

At this point the theory is that you should get that location added to your SharePoint locations list in Office but it doesn't seem to work at all

Using the “Connect to Office” Button to connect to a SharePoint document library in Office 365

Bizarrely sometimes I get the SharePoint Sites folder created within my user profile but other times I don't. Seems like the only way to get the Team Site location to appear is either to paste in the URL manually or open a document from SharePoint. Either way it's not exactly user-friendly as a shared-drive replacement; I'd really want to be able to pre-populate the list but having found the location in the registry it doesn't seem something that's easily modifiable either.
    Last edited by gshaw; 3rd January 2014 at 12:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Not working here. The docs refer to this feature in Office 2010: I wonder if it was 'replaced' by the "SharePoint @ Your Organisation" link in Save As for Office 2013 (which doesn't seem to be customisable).

3. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

gshaw (3rd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for trying it, much appreciated and glad to know it's not just me!

If that is is the replacement it's basically useless as it only works on the default Team Site and we'll be making multiple site collections (one per department so quotas can be enabled etc)

Found an interesting article that gives away what goes on behind the scenes and may be getting closer to getting it working - if you get a chance check two things

- is your account in the "Members" group for the site
    - come back in 24 hours and try again (seems there's a timed sync involved to pick up changes)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread