+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 Education Domain Registration in Technical; I have successfully created a .onmicrosoft.com domain name for use in the Academy where I work, however when I try ...

Thank Post

Office 365 Education Domain Registration

I have successfully created a .onmicrosoft.com domain name for use in the Academy where I work, however when I try to validate my Domain I keep getting informed that my domain is associated with another MS Service. I am confident that it is not, but no matter what I try to do I am unable to get my preferred Domain name recognised by O365. The error message received is:

We can't verify .......... because it is associated with another Microsoft hosted service. A domain can be associated with only one service. To use this domain, first remove it from the other service, and then try again to verify the domain. If you still can't verify the domain, contact Microsoft Online Services Support to resolve the issue.
    Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks,

Martin

Thank Post
    Check the DNS TXT records on your domain.

Specifically a value of:

MS=ms93213724 with a TTL of an hour means someone's set up Office365

DNS Lookup Text Record - MxToolbox

If you're not administering your domain's DNS directly, ask probing questions of whoever does (i.e LA decided to bulk-register all the schools in the area for example).

Thank Post
    Hi Pete,

Thanks for the pointer. There is a txt tag on our Domain but it is the one I had placed there as part of the setup process. Despite its existence MS still can't validate against it. Any clues?

Also the hint about mxtoolbox.com was a great help!

4. Thanks to Byford-Rew from:

m19cpb (21st January 2014)

Thank Post
    What domain are you actualy tring to use?

Normally you would setup "myschool.county.sch.uk" as an accepted domain, add the validation txt to your DNS for that domain and it should work.

Are you saying you own domain won't validate?

Rob

Thank Post
    thomasdeaconacademy.peterborough.sch.uk

This is the one that will not validate.

Regards

Martin

Thank Post
    Who has access to the DNS administration for this domain?

Rob

Thank Post
    I am unsure. I make requests to the our service provider to have the changes made but other than that I do not know.

Thank Post
    Who's the SP?

The error your getting basicaly states the domain has already been added to 365.

Your MX record currently points at mail.thompsonacademy.peterboroughschools.org.uk. on 195.219.213.217 ( is this you or the SP?)

Rob

Thank Post
    Updata are the ISP.

That address is ours but the hostname is incorrect.

Thank Post
    Sorry my Bad.. Thomasaca.....

1st rule of thumb when you own a domain.. Don't let someone else manage it.

We had a domain registered once by an orginisation that set up the new organisation, we did not register it but the powers that be wanted to use that address.... then the registrant went bancrupt, we could not get the domain, the DNS went down the e-mail stopped flowing and the powers that be had to switch to one of our own registerd domains that we had control of...

Get onto the ISP, find out who registed the txt record, get whoever did it to login to whichever 365 instance it is on and get them to de-register the domain.

You should then be able to validate the domain using your own txt record.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thank you, That's a job for tomorrow. Regards, Martin

Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Sorry my Bad.. Thomasaca.....

1st rule of thumb when you own a domain.. Don't let someone else manage it.

We had a domain registered once by an orginisation that set up the new organisation, we did not register it but the powers that be wanted to use that address.... then the registrant went bancrupt, we could not get the domain, the DNS went down the e-mail stopped flowing and the powers that be had to switch to one of our own registerd domains that we had control of...

Get onto the ISP, find out who registed the txt record, get whoever did it to login to whichever 365 instance it is on and get them to de-register the domain.

You should then be able to validate the domain using your own txt record.

Rob

Thank Post
    This is likely to have nothing to do with the DNS or who is in control - which makes things a bit easier.

If you're getting that error it is likely to be because at some point in the past that domain has been used to create a Live@edu or Office 365 Education tenant. You cannot have the same domain name in more than one tenant at once, and even if you just created it as a flight-of-fancy unless you deleted it, it's probably still there.

If you own the domain, and are still having issues (assuming you cannot locate any other instances) then contact Microsoft Support.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    This is likely to have nothing to do with the DNS or who is in control - which makes things a bit easier.

If you're getting that error it is likely to be because at some point in the past that domain has been used to create a Live@edu or Office 365 Education tenant. You cannot have the same domain name in more than one tenant at once, and even if you just created it as a flight-of-fancy unless you deleted it, it's probably still there.

If you own the domain, and are still having issues (assuming you cannot locate any other instances) then contact Microsoft Support.
    To fully add a domain to 365 it has to be verified, to do that you have to verify against DNS for the domain by one of a number of methods all requiring access to the domain DNS control panel.

If this was not the case then I could log into 365, register every domain in the world that has not already been registerd and none of them would be able to use 365...

From what the OP says he has never created a 365 account for the domain he is using.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanks James,

I've spent the best part of 1 1/2 hours on the phone with them today trying to get to the bottom of the mystery. They were very helpful. It's still not solved but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post

Thank Post
    We had issues with our domain, when we changed provider and got useful info and help from Nominet, we proved who we were and they helped us with any info required. The help was free also.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast