+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, O365... Training Needed? in Technical; Hi folks, We're possibly switching from an LA (simplified) version of O365 to the full MS version. For those who've ...
    Thank Post

Question O365... Training Needed?

Hi folks,

We're possibly switching from an LA (simplified) version of O365 to the full MS version.

For those who've done it would training have been useful? There are obviously courses out there, and the one I've looked at is 4 (!) days.

I have very little Exchange experience, assuming there are even parallels with it.

TIA

Thank Post
    Hi Mate,

We did the Novotronix 5 day training for O365 which was really useful to my team (who are supporting our schools in use of Office 365) but it mainly covered off SharePoint and Websites which is our concentration at the moment, not Exchange presently.

What's your plan for O365 now? Just email or are you looking at RM Unify etc?

Rich

3. Thanks to funkyfin2000 from:

Gongalong (6th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Have a look at IT Academy - great training resource.

Microsoft IT Academy

5. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyfin2000 View Post
    What's your plan for O365 now? Just email or are you looking at RM Unify etc?
    This is with Unify integration, so I'm not sure how much that reduces the complexity e.g. automatic email account provision, albeit I'll still need to create some manual accounts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gongalong View Post
    This is with Unify integration, so I'm not sure how much that reduces the complexity e.g. automatic email account provision, albeit I'll still need to create some manual accounts.
    If you use AD integration it's quite simple. Otherwise you use CSV files.

8. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Thank Post
    How about the rest of it though, is it something that can be blundered through, or is it best to have training? I was surprised to discover it's a 4 day course, so not sure whether that's just money for old rope, or whether it's genuinely a complex beastie.

Thank Post
    How about the rest of it though, is it something that can be blundered through, or is it best to have training? I was surprised to discover it's a 4 day course, so not sure whether that's just money for old rope, or whether it's genuinely a complex beastie.
    I blundered through it using information from EduGeek and online and my own perseverance and it's working.

11. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Thank Post
    If using Unify - dead easy and self explanatory! All your accounts will be auto created anyway..... manual accounts you need to be careful with - they will need to be run through Unify because if you created say a manual account for BobtheBuilder - as soon as he goes the Microsoft Portal and puts his email address in, it will fire him to the Unify login page....

Are you going to use SharePoint? If so, have you bought Site Creator with it? If so, again you don't really require much SharePoint additional knowledge unless you are going to do some very advanced stuff.

Hope that helps - fire away if you need more questions answering.

13. Thanks to funkyfin2000 from:

Thank Post
    The manual accounts will be for some administrative mailboxes, that are then shared out to various users. Does that mean they need to be created through Unify?

Does Unify distinguish between staff and student mailboxes when created? Currently we have staff as initial surname, and students with date of entry to education followed by first name and surname. Hence they are all sorted in an easy to understand way.

We'll use Site Creator if we go the Unify route. We're somewhat miffed with RM as they expect us to pay for it while we still have Kaleidos. Seems rather petty.

Thank Post
    My thoughts are yes, they would need creating in AD as a user - that then feeds Unify which then feeds O365. Unless you were going to attach those mail boxes to another user already created.

Unify will distiguish users from your AD - it will know which schools are in the Student Group and which ones are in the Teacher Group. Their username in AD you describe will then become their email address@domain

Hmmm, yeah, Site Creator is an additional extra which as previously mentioned we are paying extra for as well in our contract with schools but it's a joy to use. Out at a school using it today and it's working very well to build the SP structure. All done and dusted in an hour today and now adding content and customising look and feel.

Rich

16. Thanks to funkyfin2000 from:

Thank Post
    The manual accounts will be for some administrative mailboxes, that are then shared out to various users. Does that mean they need to be created through Unify?
    Just create Shared Mailboxes in Exchange Online, and give users permission to access those mailboxes.

Create and use shared mailboxes - office365 suite - Office.com

18. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

Thank Post
    My thoughts are yes, they would need creating in AD as a user - that then feeds Unify which then feeds O365. Unless you were going to attach those mail boxes to another user already created.
    Yep, they will only be viewed by other users, so will never need to login. I'm thinking that creating them in AD might be more of a problem, IYSWIM.
    Unify will distiguish users from your AD - it will know which schools are in the Student Group and which ones are in the Teacher Group. Their username in AD you describe will then become their email address@domain
    How do they then appear in the GAL, are staff and students kept separate? It could be a showstopper if they aren't.

Also, can we add aliases to the email accounts, whether in Unify or Office 365 itself? Our existing email addresses are a different format, so it would be great to add those as aliases. (Sorry, I'm trying to think of every aspect that could go wrong!)

Hmmm, yeah, Site Creator is an additional extra which as previously mentioned we are paying extra for as well in our contract with schools but it's a joy to use. Out at a school using it today and it's working very well to build the SP structure. All done and dusted in an hour today and now adding content and customising look and feel.
    I saw RM's YouTube video. It looked a bit too simple to me, but we are polling staff on what they want from a VLE, and based on that we'll see if Unify matches.

Thank Post
    How do they then appear in the GAL, are staff and students kept separate? It could be a showstopper if they aren't.
    You'd use Office 365's Address List Policies for this.

Also, can we add aliases to the email accounts, whether in Unify or Office 365 itself? Our existing email addresses are a different format, so it would be great to add those as aliases. (Sorry, I'm trying to think of every aspect that could go wrong!)
    You'd do this within Office 365 itself. You can specify aliases for each Mailbox.

21. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Just create Shared Mailboxes in Exchange Online, and give users permission to access those mailboxes.

Create and use shared mailboxes - office365 suite - Office.com
    If you're using the RM Unify solution and want all your accounts to show in the Unify management area then you'll need to create distinct mailboxes rather than shared ones through Office 365.

23. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Thank Post
    We took part in the 3 MS 365 courses that were being offered by QA.

I found them to be useful and the instructors were very knowledgable.

25. Thanks to Fruity from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast