+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cloud Services Thread, O365... Training Needed? in Technical; Originally Posted by Gongalong Yep, they will only be viewed by other users, so will never need to login. I'm ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gongalong View Post
    Yep, they will only be viewed by other users, so will never need to login. I'm thinking that creating them in AD might be more of a problem, IYSWIM.

How do they then appear in the GAL, are staff and students kept separate? It could be a showstopper if they aren't.

Also, can we add aliases to the email accounts, whether in Unify or Office 365 itself? Our existing email addresses are a different format, so it would be great to add those as aliases. (Sorry, I'm trying to think of every aspect that could go wrong!)

I saw RM's YouTube video. It looked a bit too simple to me, but we are polling staff on what they want from a VLE, and based on that we'll see if Unify matches.
    Others have answered a lot of the questions there, but Staff and Students are in seperate GALS as I understand, like I say though we are yet to really dig in to Exchange with our schools.

Aliasing accounts in Office 365 will be the way forward for those email addreses.

Site Creator is designed to be just that - simple - get your structure set up in SharePoint and then use it again to add further elements to it for your content. Believe me, after having SP2007 in RM's LP our schools are very pleased with site creator as it makes it so much easier to get to grips with building your online collaborative sites for teachers/students. That said, if you want to use the real nitty gritty of SP, Site Creator still allows you to do this, think of it as a wizard on top that you can choose to use if you wish, or not if you don't.

EDIT - Not sure if you meant Unify was too simple or Site Creator - Unify is also simple and very easy to use - it's not a VLE though of course (nor is Office 365 in that way)

Hope that helps.

Rich

2. Thanks to funkyfin2000 from:

Gongalong (7th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Site Creator was rather simplistic vs. Kaleidos. Of course one is not a direct replacement of the other.

Thank Post
    Site Creator was rather simplistic vs. Kaleidos. Of course one is not a direct replacement of the other.
    Yeah, not really a like for like replacement at all. SC is a wizard to help build elements of Kaleidos to make it far more user friendly that using raw SPoint (if we think of it in old terms!)

Thank Post
    Yep, I've heard raw Sharepoint is a nightmare, so best avoided...

Thank Post
    Yep, I've heard raw Sharepoint is a nightmare, so best avoided...
    How will you know if you avoid it?

SharePoint Online in the new Office 365 is actually a breath of fresh air compared with some of the more enterprise-centric themes of previous iterations.

7. 2 Thanks to jamesbmarshall:

funkyfin2000 (7th November 2013), Gongalong (7th November 2013)

Thank Post
    OK, that's good to hear. We may have no choice but to use it if we go with Unify, although the Site Creator will take some of the grind out it seems.

This is part of why I think we ought to get O365 (and related Sharepoint) training ahead of going forward.

9. Thanks to Gongalong from:

funkyfin2000 (7th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    How will you know if you avoid it?

SharePoint Online in the new Office 365 is actually a breath of fresh air compared with some of the more enterprise-centric themes of previous iterations.

Going to say don't avoid it - its a fab tool and it's come on SO much since SharePoint2007 in RM's Kaleidos and SP2010. It's far more user friendly and great for staff/students to get on with now - including things like the web apps and Sky Drive. Trying to create large structures and etc is where it gets more complicated using raw SP and that's where SC comes in handy as it does it all for you.

I think what we liked is, RM's LP was obviously hosted by them and cut down to make it as easy as possible to use, Office 365 is more user friendly anyway to start with and at the same time, if we want to use the more complex areas of it then it's there if we need.

Rich

11. Thanks to funkyfin2000 from:

Thank Post
    OK, that's good to hear. We may have no choice but to use it if we go with Unify, although the Site Creator will take some of the grind out it seems.

This is part of why I think we ought to get O365 (and related Sharepoint) training ahead of going forward.
    TBH Mark, I would say more indepth O365 training for yourself would probably be beneficial if the school does decide to go whole hog O365 as it gives you that depth of knowledge if you need it (depending on how well you retain it of course )

SC will take A LOT of grind out of it!

13. Thanks to funkyfin2000 from:

Thank Post
    I won't be the Content Manager, but I will have to administer the whole O365 side. One of the training companies we've contacted seems to break their O365 course out into 3 modules (at least email and Sharepoint) so we'll see how that goes. I don't know if RM offer any training (?).

Thank Post
    Exactly - from a management perspective I think some admin training is probably worth it. @Novatronix did ours in Summer. 1 day Admin training, 3 days SharePoint and 1 day Public Spaces.

Not sure about RM - they certainly didn't in the summer when we asked - in fact took training from @Novatronix the same as us as I understand

16. Thanks to funkyfin2000 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Feel free to PM us me if you'd like some info on how we can assist with Office 365 migration (we have edu licenses to offer for nowt)

As well as setting up sharepoint, Lync etc. We're currently hosting a round of individual webex meetings to go over some points.

Ta

Joe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12