+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365: How to? Move from using one domain to another domain in Technical; Scenario We have been using Office 365 (Live@EDU) successfully for many years based on the <name>@<schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk domain/format. Our school has ...

Thank Post

Office 365: How to? Move from using one domain to another domain

Scenario
    We have been using Office 365 (Live@EDU) successfully for many years based on the <name>@<schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk domain/format.
    Our school has now registered, and is using a new domain name of www.<schoolname>.com

Requirement
    What is the preferred/recommended steps to take so that staff can start using their alternative email address based on the new domain? but still capturing any emails sent to the previous <name>@<schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk format?

And I assume that they would also have to be advised to log on using their new email address too; would this also require reconfiguring the user's computer who access via Outlook 2010 (instead of the Web GUI?)

The new domain (and Office 365/DNS) settings have already be added, set-up and configured within the Office 365 Admin portal; and is operational.

Many Thanks,
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 29th October 2013 at 11:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Add in the new www.schoolname.com email address to your Office 365 account and then set up aliases for each of the users, on this new domain? That way Joe.Bloggs@school.school.sch.uk and Joe.Bloggs@school.com will all reach the same place. You can then choose whether you want @school.school.sch.uk or @school.com to be the default. Or, am I missing something? That way you won't have to make any changes to the end users computers and they won't have to change their method of working.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 29th October 2013 at 11:46 AM.

3. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

MYK-IT (29th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Add in the new www.schoolname.com email address to your Office 365 account and then set up aliases for each of the users, on this new domain? That way Joe.Bloggs@school.school.sch.uk and Joe.Bloggs@school.com will all reach the same place. You can then choose whether you want @school.school.sch.uk or @school.com to be the default. Or, am I missing something? That way you won't have to make any changes to the end users computers and they won't have to change their method of working.
    Exactly this. You can rename your users UPN (i.e. their username) and primary SMTP to reflect the new domain, and leave the old domain as another SMTP address for those users to receive mail on.

Edit: You don't have to rename the UPN if you don't want to, or if you want to stagger the change. Depends how confusing (or not) you want it to be for your users. Usually the UPN and primary SMTP address match, but you could update their email address to the new domain first, leaving their username the same and then change their username later on. Or just do it all at once.
    Last edited by jamesbmarshall; 29th October 2013 at 12:18 PM.

5. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Exactly this. You can rename your users UPN (i.e. their username) and primary SMTP to reflect the new domain, and leave the old domain as another SMTP address for those users to receive mail on.

Edit: You don't have to rename the UPN if you don't want to, or if you want to stagger the change. Depends how confusing (or not) you want it to be for your users. Usually the UPN and primary SMTP address match, but you could update their email address to the new domain first, leaving their username the same and then change their username later on. Or just do it all at once.
    Can you clarify? Do you mean this?

User is Joe Bloggs. They have a primary SMTP of Joe.Bloggs@school.school.sch.uk but their username to login to Office365 is Joe.Bloggs@school.com. Change it to bring all those in line?

I'd say if you have all your users already setup in Office 365, just add the new domain as a secondary SMTP address. No need to make any changes to the defaults?

Thank Post
    If you add the new domain as a second address users will not be able to send from it, only receive; you can only send from your primary SMTP. You'd need to switch the new domain in as the primary SMTP so users use it as their main address, and leave the old one as an alias.

UPN and primary SMTP don't have to match, but it makes it easier to say to people that their username is their email address.

8. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

Thank Post
    Ah, yes. Makes sense. It all depends on the OP's requirements then but from a technical point of view, even if they have the primary as @school.schools.sch.uk and give out @school.com because it's easier they still end up at the same place. It's just when they send it won't match. I understand now.

Thank Post
    I've followed @jamesbmarshall advice and added (and made default) SMTP for the new domain, meaining staff can carry on accessing their email as per normal (logging in using <name>@<schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk)

So that any emails sent to either <name>@<schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk or <name>@<schoolname>.com will get delivered to their email inbox, and all emails sent will show as originating from <name>@<schoolname>.com

Then over time, I can then change the staff UPNs over to coincide with <name>@<schoolname>.com and deal with any MS Outlook, or 3rd party email applications (and on BYODs).

Thanks all.
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 29th October 2013 at 04:15 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread