+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cloud Services Thread, Google Apps migration in Technical; Originally Posted by plexer All of which are also provided by O365? Ben I thought you had to pay for ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    All of which are also provided by O365?

Ben
    I thought you had to pay for the full office suite, feel free to elaborate though!

@caffrey - Pretty much what I am expecting here, a few whiners etc but ultimately it's the best thing to do for the school. I am concerned about the lack of control over it, so like you mentioned if bullying etc goes on then we can't really do anything .
    I'm in the same boat with 365, heard of a lot people having technical issues with it, which is why I'm more attracted to google's services at the moment. Plus I don't trust MS to not start charging for various things after they've roped you in. I also don't like the direction they're going with Windows 8/8.1 and am concerned 365 will end up in a similar mess.
    Last edited by BassTech; 24th October 2013 at 11:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    I thought you had to pay for the full office suite, feel free to elaborate though!
    Exchange Online, Lync Online and SharePoint Online including the Office Web Apps are free for staff and students. Qualifying institutions can also licence students for the full Office 365 ProPlus component.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee91 View Post
    I'm in the same boat with 365, heard of a lot people having technical issues with it, which is why I'm more attracted to google's services at the moment. Plus I don't trust MS to not start charging for various things after they've roped you in. I also don't like the direction they're going with Windows 8/8.1 and am concerned 365 will end up in a similar mess.
    Happy to talk about your concerns if you want. I think Microsoft's pretty transparent about its model for Office 365 in terms of what's free and what's not. In various states Live@edu and Office 365 have been around about 8 years now, free to education. I recently posted up about how it just got more powerful with the Student Advantage announcement as well.

If you have any questions, like I say, happy to chat.

rdk

Thank Post
    We went google a while ago and the last switch was turning off the old email and going to google mail. Praise and thanks very much outweighed the complaints. If SLT wish you to look at kids mail, couldn't you simply change their password and log in? The kid would know somethings happened, but maybe nothing would click (especially if they're innocent) and just come and see you and you could reset their password.

Alternatively, there is a product Hapara Teacher Dashboard that we use (Hapara | Powering Google Apps for Educators) that will let you look in email, although we don't use that aspect of the product. What else it can do is fantastic, though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rdk View Post
    We went google a while ago and the last switch was turning off the old email and going to google mail. Praise and thanks very much outweighed the complaints. If SLT wish you to look at kids mail, couldn't you simply change their password and log in? The kid would know somethings happened, but maybe nothing would click (especially if they're innocent) and just come and see you and you could reset their password.
    There are actually a few ways to access staff/student mail or documents:
    Email archiving such as Vault ( $10 for each teacher, students are free)
    Download their inbox using Google_apps-manager (free)
    SSO through active directory and reset their google account password while they login through AD
    Third party tools like Cloud Management Tool for Google Apps | FlashPanel (discount for edu)
    Install the SSO for moodle, sign in as moodle admin then switch account.

Thank Post
    You can also configure all email to be copied to an archive account - so you can see what has been sent without any password changing.
    We've been with google apps for a couple of years now. The only downside is the slight unreliability of the syncing software for use with Outlook. Overall - I would say it has been excellent.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShorehamGeek View Post
    You can also configure all email to be copied to an archive account - so you can see what has been sent without any password changing.
    Is that one account set up as archive? Is it stored locally or on Google's storage? Does this impact on free data usage limits?

I'm considering it for child to child emails (in an infant school), but one of our pre-requisites is that we want to be able to go back to emails even if the child has deleted it to be able to deal with bullying / CP issues.

Edit: We'll continue using the LA provided MS exchange service for teachers "work" email, so kids only at this point. I guess the teachers would have a gmail account set up too configured for use only within our domain for contacting pupils in school.
    Last edited by jmak; 25th October 2013 at 02:09 PM.

Thank Post
    I noticed the other day that I got an option in the admin panel to reveal a users password but the next day it had gone. Might be something google are going to add but pulled for some reason. This would be very handy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I noticed the other day that I got an option in the admin panel to reveal a users password but the next day it had gone .... This would be very handy.
    Surely you're not serious?

Regardless of the technology, you should never be able to know the password of a user, or be able to reveal it to them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I noticed the other day that I got an option in the admin panel to reveal a users password but the next day it had gone. Might be something google are going to add but pulled for some reason. This would be very handy.
    If passwords are stored in a reversible format in such a global provider such as Google I would remove it immediately.

Ben

Thank Post
    Any concerns about the stuff in the news at the moment about Google scanning contents of email to display ads?

Thank Post
    Any concerns about the stuff in the news at the moment about Google scanning contents of email to display ads?
    You can disable ads for the domain in the control panel.

Plus, I think due to some law in US about scanning educational material if you are on the edu services this does not happen although I could be totally wrong about that.

Thank Post
    You can disable ads for the domain in the control panel.

Plus, I think due to some law in US about scanning educational material if you are on the edu services this does not happen although I could be totally wrong about that.
    No advertising to students, faculty or staff
    We offer Google Apps for Education to schools for free. It's also completely ad-free – which means that your school's content is not processed by Google's advertising systems.
    Security & Privacy ? Google Apps for Education

Thank Post
    Thanks for that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Failed to press the post button yesterday after I'd written this, so mostly same as other replies. Only thing I'd add is that they do say they scan files to allow for indexing and spam filtering etc - I guess there's no way of telling whether they pass that information to adverstisers, but if the ads aren't displayed to users, how much of a problem is that? They also do disply ads to "alumni"users.

It's in the T&Cs for Education that they won't display ads:

"1.4 Ads.a. Default. The default setting for the Services is one that does not allow Google to serve Ads. Customer may change this setting in the Admin Console, which constitutes Customer's authorization for Google to serve Ads. If Customer enables the serving of Ads, it may revert to the default setting at any time and Google will cease serving Ads.
    b. Selectively Showing Ads. Notwithstanding Section 1.4(a), if Customer separates different classifications of End Users by domain or Google provides the capability for Customer to show Ads only to particular sets of End Users within the same domain, then Customer must enable the serving of Ads to End Users who are Alumni."

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12