+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 120
Cloud Services Thread, Microsoft offers students at eligible educational institutions access to full Office in Technical; Originally Posted by timbo343 A few more questions on this that you might be able to answer... what happens if ...
  1. #91

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    A few more questions on this that you might be able to answer... what happens if i run out of licenses? At the moment, i have about 100 more than i need (just incase) but say we get a big year group intake in 2014 and our post16 intake is also bigger, how i go about getting more licenses?
    I think I can answer that one: you just put an order through in the same way you did the first time. Since it's ordered as part of EES, I believe we'll need to specify the same link item and required student numbers each time we renew too.

  2. #92
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,994
    Thank Post
    287
    Thanked 283 Times in 197 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I think I can answer that one: you just put an order through in the same way you did the first time. Since it's ordered as part of EES, I believe we'll need to specify the same link item and required student numbers each time we renew too.
    Fair enough. I guess i should have thought of that before posting..

    I am in the middle of testing Office365 Pro for students just to get a further understanding of it. I have deactivated the install from the Office365 Software >> Office screen. I was wondering how long it takes - if ever for office365 and the installed version of office not to work.

    Does MS have any acceptable use forms for students to sign to agree they will obey the rules?

  3. #93
    jamesbmarshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    517
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 228 Times in 158 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    @jamesbmarshall Just want to say thanks for the blogs you have done for office365.
    I'm glad someone reads it!

    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    what happens if i run out of licenses? At the moment, i have about 100 more than i need (just incase) but say we get a big year group intake in 2014 and our post16 intake is also bigger, how i go about getting more licenses?
    As @AngryTechnician says, you phone up your re-seller and order more!

    You should always be as accurate as possible with your licence count. Don't go ordering lots more than you need. I know there's nothing I can do specifically to stop you other than say that it makes life a lot easier for me, and that it's best practice, but please always try and keep your licence count as "true" to your actual user numbers as possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Also, what happens if a student leaves but then decides to come back after they have installed the office software on their machine(s)?
    If they return and are given a user account with an active licence assigned to it then they can carry on using the same bits, in theory. The software invites users to "reactivate" once it detects no active licence.

    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Would they need to re-install the office package again?
    In theory, no.

    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    when a student is removed from office365 how long have they got until the software stops working on their machine(s)?
    Depends when the software last acquired an active token. Up to 30 days, then into reduced functionality mode. Check the service description!

    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    I am in the middle of testing Office365 Pro for students just to get a further understanding of it. I have deactivated the install from the Office365 Software >> Office screen. I was wondering how long it takes - if ever for office365 and the installed version of office not to work.
    As above. The client will attempt to extend its life every day (or time.. I think) that it's run. If it last connected to the Internet, say, 15 days ago and then on day 16 it connects and finds no licence then you have 15 days until it goes into RFM. That's my understanding of it at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Does MS have any acceptable use forms for students to sign to agree they will obey the rules?
    Whose rules do you want them to obey?

    Microsoft has the EULA which users accept whenever they run any Microsoft software. If you've got your own AUP then you'll need to find your own way to ensure your users sign/adhere to it.

  4. #94
    Mr.Ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    A Pirate Ship
    Posts
    942
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 157 Times in 126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    You should always be as accurate as possible with your licence count. Don't go ordering lots more than you need. I know there's nothing I can do specifically to stop you other than say that it makes life a lot easier for me, and that it's best practice, but please always try and keep your licence count as "true" to your actual user numbers as possible.
    @jamesbmarshall

    Sometimes this is difficult, especially during the summer holidays - the approach I take to O365 and now Student Advantage licences is to have 200 more than I need, then I can create my new Year 7's without having to deactivate my Year 13/11 Leavers - these are generally given 30 days from being off roll (the end of September) before I disable them, as could still be sorting university places and accommodation.

    This is an additional 15% or so than I actually need, but it makes life so much easier!

    I assume that It's ok to do this!

    P.S thanks for the blogs - as mentioned before, without them I wouldn't have had the information needed to do this!
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 21st December 2013 at 08:48 PM.

  5. #95
    jamesbmarshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    517
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 228 Times in 158 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    I assume that It's ok to do this!
    Clearly, if you're going to need licences for users as they come into school, but before old users have left, it makes sense to have the corresponding number of licences available to make that easier.

  6. #96

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    471
    Thank Post
    119
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    Hi

    I have my licenses but has anyone got a list of powershell commands they used to assign the license to the student users?

    I can't seem to get it to work :S been trying lots of different ways that i have seen in the O365 support forums. I have the accounts created and they have their student plan assigned but want to assign the student office license.

    Cheers

  7. #97
    lmgtfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    257
    Thank Post
    41
    Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    Hi

    I have my licenses but has anyone got a list of powershell commands they used to assign the license to the student users?

    I can't seem to get it to work :S been trying lots of different ways that i have seen in the O365 support forums. I have the accounts created and they have their student plan assigned but want to assign the student office license.

    Cheers
    Post 88 on this thread :-)

  8. #98
    clareq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    693
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 188 Times in 124 Posts
    Rep Power
    101
    I have provisioned all my students, and sent out the e-mail telling them they can access Office, but is there any way I can see what the take up is? It's a chunk of work to manage annually if only one or two students take it up.
    Last edited by clareq; 14th January 2014 at 01:40 PM.

  9. #99
    lmgtfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    257
    Thank Post
    41
    Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    I have provisioned all my students, and sent out the e-mail telling them they can access Office, but is there any way I can see what the take up is? It's a chunk of work to manage annually if only one or two students take it up.
    The way I check (I don't know how accurate this is mind you though) is to login to Office 365 admin go to Admin, SharePoint click on user profiles and then it says number of user profiles which I believe is the number of users that have logged on. So far out of 2800 users we have 50 so I don't look often as it took me about a week to set it up 100% but o well at least we provide the service.

  10. #100
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,994
    Thank Post
    287
    Thanked 283 Times in 197 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    I have provisioned all my students, and sent out the e-mail telling them they can access Office, but is there any way I can see what the take up is? It's a chunk of work to manage annually if only one or two students take it up.
    The way i check to see if users last checked their emails are:

    1. Office365 admin >> Reports >> Active and inactive mailboxes

    2. Office365 admin >> Reports >> Types of mailbox connections

    3. I have a script which i created which logs into office365 via powershell and pulls off the time and date when all mailboxes were last accessed.

    We are about to roll out office365 for students (well a letter is about to go home) so i have said on the letter, if the child is interested they are to come to IT Support and they will be given a help sheet and also their license of O365 will be enabled.

  11. #101
    clareq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    693
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 188 Times in 124 Posts
    Rep Power
    101
    It's not accurate here - we only use student advantage, not Office 365. If I could find out how many have logged on, even if they haven't downloaded Office, it would be a start!

  12. #102
    clareq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    693
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 188 Times in 124 Posts
    Rep Power
    101
    Sorry timbo, we host our own exchange server, so no on-line mailboxes.

  13. #103
    lmgtfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    257
    Thank Post
    41
    Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    It's not accurate here - we only use student advantage, not Office 365. If I could find out how many have logged on, even if they haven't downloaded Office, it would be a start!
    Sorry I thought the student advantage was the same thing as Office 365.

  14. #104
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,994
    Thank Post
    287
    Thanked 283 Times in 197 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    Sorry timbo, we host our own exchange server, so no on-line mailboxes.
    I thought students had to have an email address or at least a onmicrosoft.com username via office365 to get office365 pro for their desktops, thats how office365 is licensed and validated but i guess this still doesn't give you want you want.

    Just been looking through our office365 and cannot see anything about who has actually downloaded a copy of office.

  15. #105
    chazzy2501's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    1,781
    Thank Post
    213
    Thanked 263 Times in 213 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    HA! I don't read emails properly and have only just discovered that MS gave me the key for my O365 accounts in December! Redeeming the key took a while to figure out though

    Now for DirSync.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Staff Access to Student Home Drives?
    By noser in forum Windows
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 21st October 2008, 02:55 PM
  2. Disabling student access to the "Choose a wireless network" window in CC3
    By reggiep in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd July 2008, 03:37 PM
  3. Students access to printers
    By ltunstall in forum Windows
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10th March 2008, 07:50 PM
  4. Prevent Student Access To Command Prompt
    By DaveP in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 21st March 2007, 11:37 AM
  5. Moodle:Parental Access to student work
    By TechMonkey in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 3rd November 2006, 07:54 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •