+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Microsoft offers students at eligible educational institutions access to full Office in Technical; Originally Posted by timbo343 A few more questions on this that you might be able to answer... what happens if ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    A few more questions on this that you might be able to answer... what happens if i run out of licenses? At the moment, i have about 100 more than i need (just incase) but say we get a big year group intake in 2014 and our post16 intake is also bigger, how i go about getting more licenses?
    I think I can answer that one: you just put an order through in the same way you did the first time. Since it's ordered as part of EES, I believe we'll need to specify the same link item and required student numbers each time we renew too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I think I can answer that one: you just put an order through in the same way you did the first time. Since it's ordered as part of EES, I believe we'll need to specify the same link item and required student numbers each time we renew too.
    Fair enough. I guess i should have thought of that before posting..

I am in the middle of testing Office365 Pro for students just to get a further understanding of it. I have deactivated the install from the Office365 Software >> Office screen. I was wondering how long it takes - if ever for office365 and the installed version of office not to work.

Does MS have any acceptable use forms for students to sign to agree they will obey the rules?

Thank Post
    @jamesbmarshall Just want to say thanks for the blogs you have done for office365.
    I'm glad someone reads it!

what happens if i run out of licenses? At the moment, i have about 100 more than i need (just incase) but say we get a big year group intake in 2014 and our post16 intake is also bigger, how i go about getting more licenses?
    As @AngryTechnician says, you phone up your re-seller and order more!

You should always be as accurate as possible with your licence count. Don't go ordering lots more than you need. I know there's nothing I can do specifically to stop you other than say that it makes life a lot easier for me, and that it's best practice, but please always try and keep your licence count as "true" to your actual user numbers as possible.

Also, what happens if a student leaves but then decides to come back after they have installed the office software on their machine(s)?
    If they return and are given a user account with an active licence assigned to it then they can carry on using the same bits, in theory. The software invites users to "reactivate" once it detects no active licence.

Would they need to re-install the office package again?
    In theory, no.

when a student is removed from office365 how long have they got until the software stops working on their machine(s)?
    Depends when the software last acquired an active token. Up to 30 days, then into reduced functionality mode. Check the service description!

I am in the middle of testing Office365 Pro for students just to get a further understanding of it. I have deactivated the install from the Office365 Software >> Office screen. I was wondering how long it takes - if ever for office365 and the installed version of office not to work.
    As above. The client will attempt to extend its life every day (or time.. I think) that it's run. If it last connected to the Internet, say, 15 days ago and then on day 16 it connects and finds no licence then you have 15 days until it goes into RFM. That's my understanding of it at least.

Does MS have any acceptable use forms for students to sign to agree they will obey the rules?
    Whose rules do you want them to obey?

Microsoft has the EULA which users accept whenever they run any Microsoft software. If you've got your own AUP then you'll need to find your own way to ensure your users sign/adhere to it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    You should always be as accurate as possible with your licence count. Don't go ordering lots more than you need. I know there's nothing I can do specifically to stop you other than say that it makes life a lot easier for me, and that it's best practice, but please always try and keep your licence count as "true" to your actual user numbers as possible.
    @jamesbmarshall

Sometimes this is difficult, especially during the summer holidays - the approach I take to O365 and now Student Advantage licences is to have 200 more than I need, then I can create my new Year 7's without having to deactivate my Year 13/11 Leavers - these are generally given 30 days from being off roll (the end of September) before I disable them, as could still be sorting university places and accommodation.

This is an additional 15% or so than I actually need, but it makes life so much easier!

I assume that It's ok to do this!

P.S thanks for the blogs - as mentioned before, without them I wouldn't have had the information needed to do this!
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 21st December 2013 at 08:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    I assume that It's ok to do this!
    Clearly, if you're going to need licences for users as they come into school, but before old users have left, it makes sense to have the corresponding number of licences available to make that easier.

Thank Post
    Hi

I have my licenses but has anyone got a list of powershell commands they used to assign the license to the student users?

I can't seem to get it to work :S been trying lots of different ways that i have seen in the O365 support forums. I have the accounts created and they have their student plan assigned but want to assign the student office license.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    Hi

I have my licenses but has anyone got a list of powershell commands they used to assign the license to the student users?

I can't seem to get it to work :S been trying lots of different ways that i have seen in the O365 support forums. I have the accounts created and they have their student plan assigned but want to assign the student office license.

Cheers
    Post 88 on this thread :-)

Thank Post
    I have provisioned all my students, and sent out the e-mail telling them they can access Office, but is there any way I can see what the take up is? It's a chunk of work to manage annually if only one or two students take it up.
    Last edited by clareq; 14th January 2014 at 01:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    I have provisioned all my students, and sent out the e-mail telling them they can access Office, but is there any way I can see what the take up is? It's a chunk of work to manage annually if only one or two students take it up.
    The way I check (I don't know how accurate this is mind you though) is to login to Office 365 admin go to Admin, SharePoint click on user profiles and then it says number of user profiles which I believe is the number of users that have logged on. So far out of 2800 users we have 50 so I don't look often as it took me about a week to set it up 100% but o well at least we provide the service.

Thank Post
    The way i check to see if users last checked their emails are:

1. Office365 admin >> Reports >> Active and inactive mailboxes

2. Office365 admin >> Reports >> Types of mailbox connections

3. I have a script which i created which logs into office365 via powershell and pulls off the time and date when all mailboxes were last accessed.

We are about to roll out office365 for students (well a letter is about to go home) so i have said on the letter, if the child is interested they are to come to IT Support and they will be given a help sheet and also their license of O365 will be enabled.

Thank Post
    It's not accurate here - we only use student advantage, not Office 365. If I could find out how many have logged on, even if they haven't downloaded Office, it would be a start!

Thank Post
    Sorry timbo, we host our own exchange server, so no on-line mailboxes.

Thank Post
    It's not accurate here - we only use student advantage, not Office 365. If I could find out how many have logged on, even if they haven't downloaded Office, it would be a start!
    Sorry I thought the student advantage was the same thing as Office 365.

Thank Post
    Sorry timbo, we host our own exchange server, so no on-line mailboxes.
    I thought students had to have an email address or at least a onmicrosoft.com username via office365 to get office365 pro for their desktops, thats how office365 is licensed and validated but i guess this still doesn't give you want you want.

Just been looking through our office365 and cannot see anything about who has actually downloaded a copy of office.

Thank Post
    HA! I don't read emails properly and have only just discovered that MS gave me the key for my O365 accounts in December! Redeeming the key took a while to figure out though

Now for DirSync.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast