+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Microsoft offers students at eligible educational institutions access to full Office in Technical; Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall I haven't poured over the licensing terms, but I'd imagine the small print says that the ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    I haven't poured over the licensing terms, but I'd imagine the small print says that the copy of Office is for that user. Clearly, that's hard to enforce if said student installs the software on the home PC and other family members make use of it but just because you can't enforce it doesn't mean it's right for you to break the rules
    The TechNet site goes into pretty good detail about how Office 365 ProPlus works, activates, can be deployed, etc. so I would check it out: Overview of Office 365 ProPlus
    I appreciate that, and its the kind of thing that might even put parents off installing it and taking advantage of, erm, advantage.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just a heads up - make sure the reseller who is adding your product to your agreement is doing so for your total number of students - mine assumed that the Staff Count was the number to use, so I only have 130 licenses until it's corrected :-)

Calling the VLSC team resulted in them telling me to go back to the reseller!
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 11th December 2013 at 12:35 PM.

3. Thanks to Mr.Ben from:

Cache (11th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Better than DirSync + Password Sync?
    DirSync is great and in total including Server setup this was a few hours work but the real fun comes after when you have to then allocate your users a particular license in Office 365 admin portal.

This is the stage I'm at now. So I have imported 2300 students using DirSync and all is working fine including the password sync which I thought was going to be the hard bit but now Microsoft thinks its acceptable for me to select 20 users at a time and then click edit and then select the right license then repeat. Really 20 users where is the select all or select all by filter? That's just the students then I have a couple hundred staff to do.

I have heard it might be possible to do this via powershell but have not found one example I can amend for education licences or get working. Surely someone has a answer for this and please don't say ADFS

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrowlands View Post
    I have heard it might be possible to do this via powershell but have not found one example I can amend for education licences or get working.
    Have you seen this thread or the TechNet Wiki article that @jamesbmarshall linked to?

How to use PowerShell to Automatically Assign Licenses to your Office365 Users « TechNet Wiki

6. Thanks to Arthur from:

jamesbmarshall (16th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just used the csv I had an issue with the sync tool and complained that sql express couldn't be installed but couldn't find no pre reqs only .net 4

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Yea this is what I have been working from but just can't get the syntax working, just thought some school must have done this already and wouldn't mind sharing, I can't believe anyone did it manually?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_lane View Post
    I just used the csv I had an issue with the sync tool and complained that sql express couldn't be installed but couldn't find no pre reqs only .net 4
    .NET 3.5 is required too.

Thank Post
    We are using the following PS to set our student licences... we will need to tweak it once the Student Advantage gets added
    #Set the Student permissions

#Set the license options for Office 365, which in this case is just Exchange access
    $LicOptions = New-MsolLicenseOptions -AccountSkuId Tenancyname:STANDARDWOFFPACK_STUDENT -DisabledPlans MCOSTANDARD, SHAREPOINTWAC_EDU, SHAREPOINTSTANDARD_EDU
    #Search for users that have no licences as they have just been syncronised and store into array where username begins STU
    $users = Get-MsolUser -UnlicensedUsersOnly -Synchronized -MaxResults 50 | Where-Object {$_.UserPrincipalName -like "STU??*" }
    #If we have no users then we can exit out of the script
    if (!($users)) {exit;}

#For each user we found, we will loop thought them and apply settings
    Write-Host "Set Licence"
    foreach ($user in $users)
    {
    #Displays on screen the user we are updaing purely for debugging purpose
    Write-Host $user.UserPrincipalName
    #Set the Location to GB for the user which resolves the "error" that is detected
    Set-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName $user.UserPrincipalName -UsageLocation GB
    #Set the Office 365 license for the user based on the value selected above. This is purely for students
    Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $user.UserPrincipalName -AddLicenses "Tenancyname:STANDARDWOFFPACK_STUDENT" -LicenseOptions $LicOptions
    }

11. Thanks to Boredguy from:

lmgtfy (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks @Boredguy I'll let you know how I get on but at least I know I'm starting from a good foundation now. Cheers

Thank Post
    Received our details from MS this morning. How do you distribute the software now? We dont use office 365 and qualified for it through our EES agreement.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    How do you distribute the software now?
    Grab a coffee and read, my friend: Browse by Tags - UK Education Cloud Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

15. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

Max_Power (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanks to a big helping hand from @Boredguy I now have a powershell script that will login automatically, search for users with the word Student in the "Department" AD field and then allocate them the A2 Student licence and the Office Professional Plus for Students license.

See below for code

#Script to run to encrypt password only run once

read-host -prompt "Enter password to be encrypted in mypassword.txt " -assecurestring | convertfrom-securestring | out-file C:\365securestring.txt
    Main script:

#change the tenant

#Change the encrypted password found in C:\365securestring.txt to a password I can use
    $pass = cat C:\365securestring.txt | convertto-securestring

#Use the encrypted password found in C:\365securestring.txt and combine it with the username
    $mycred = new-object -typename System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -argumentlist "user@tenant.onmicrosoft.com",$pass

Connect-MsolService -Credential $mycred

#Setting Options for A2 Plan This part is optional we just don't want students to have Exchange yet as we have onsite exchange
    $options = New-MsolLicenseOptions -AccountSkuId tenant:STANDARDWOFFPACK_STUDENT -DisabledPlans MCOSTANDARD,EXCHANGE_S_STANDARD

#Searches for 500 users in the Student group with nolicence and lists them under var $Users
    $users = Get-MsolUser -UnlicensedUsersOnly -Synchronized -MaxResults 500 | Where-Object {$_.Department -like "Student" }

#Exits if no users are in search above
    if (!($users)) {exit;}

#Start of loop for each user in list and sets the name field for the rest of the script
    Write-Host "Set Licence"
    foreach ($user in $users)
    {
    Write-Host $user.UserPrincipalName

#Sets the Location to GB
    Set-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName $user.UserPrincipalName -UsageLocation GB

#Adds the Student A2 Plan to the user with options
    Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $user.UserPrincipalName -AddLicenses "tenant:STANDARDWOFFPACK_STUDENT" -LicenseOptions $options

#Adds the O365 student licence to user
    Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $user.UserPrincipalName -AddLicenses "tenant:OFFICESUBSCRIPTION_STUDENT"

#Exits loop
    }

18. Thanks to lmgtfy from:

AngryTechnician (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    @jamesbmarshall Just want to say thanks for the blogs you have done for office365. Without looking through them, wouldnt been able to activate the license for Student Advantage. The account managers arent really helpful, they just know how to press the right buttons. Time after time i have asked my account manager to help me with the step by step process of what happens next. I got my license confirmation through the other day and if it wasnt for the redemption interface link - https://portal.microsoftonline.com/C...tKeyStart.aspx i would have been stuck.

Also had to remember to activate the individual users - only got a test at the moment working so i can recreate a basic how to guide for our lot, they dont read things the best of times.

A few more questions on this that you might be able to answer... what happens if i run out of licenses? At the moment, i have about 100 more than i need (just incase) but say we get a big year group intake in 2014 and our post16 intake is also bigger, how i go about getting more licenses?

Also, what happens if a student leaves but then decides to come back after they have installed the office software on their machine(s)? Would they need to re-install the office package again? and when a student is removed from office365 how long have they got until the software stops working on their machine(s)?

20. Thanks to timbo343 from:

jamesbmarshall (16th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think its quite easy put all 1300 pupils in via csv and then once they leave you just revoce them along as you make a tutorial for the pupils then ur good to go

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast