+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Microsoft offers students at eligible educational institutions access to full Office in Technical; Originally Posted by john How is that a let down? For a few hours of work to setup O365 on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    How is that a let down? For a few hours of work to setup O365 on a simple and basic level you can offer all your students free licenses for use at home for Office 365 which they can download and run on home computers as long as they are a student at your school. You just need to ask your reseller to license you for X number of the student licenses at $0 once they come out sounds a brilliant deal and just what was missing to me after the removal of cheap MS Office software.

Internally you do as you please and choose and it doesn't change anything you are doing currently so you keep your EES sub with MS Office, Windows, Exchange, SCCM etc.... I don't see the problem other than avoiding doing some prep and setup work as a one off. Its not like you will be using it internally so it shouldn't be seen as a problem if anything I'd say its preventing access to good software for free to enable the students to continue learning and using outside of the classroom.

That is all unless I have mis-understood what @jamesbmarshall has put?
    But really we shouldn't have to do that. Its just a push to get more people in Office 365.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    But really we shouldn't have to do that. Its just a push to get more people in Office 365.
    Not really. You don't have to use any of the services on Office 365. If you don't want to sign up for Office 365 at all, you won't get the 'free' Office. Simple as that really. No point complaining how unfair it is as they aren't going to change it just for you.

Just to clarify, when you say license all staff, I assume that is just the FTE? As per normal licensing.

3. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

john (16th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm still confused because I keep reading things different ways.

We licence the Education Desktop which gives us Office ProPlus 2013, but it doesn't specifically mention that, it mentions all 3 Office 365 versions and then just Office ProPlus.

Therefore, I'm unsure as to whether we qualify or not.

It's a shame if we don't as I was quite excited about it when I first read it.
    Last edited by Cache; 15th October 2013 at 07:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Im not complaining really, free is free. Its just something we don't want to die into yet. I wont go into that here, but it means we won't benefit as yet. I just can't see why its tied to 365 only and not offered to other customers.

Thanks
    Last edited by FN-GM; 15th October 2013 at 07:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 1,694 Posts
    Im not complaining really, free is free. Its just something we don't want to die into yet. I wont go into that here, but it means we won't benefit as yet. I just can't see why its tied to 365 only and not offered to other customers.

Thanks
    There are perfectly obvious business reasons for doing this. M$ may be giving software away for free, but they are not a charity. If they get students on Office, especially the 365 version, they will want to take it forward when the leave education which means money in the till. However, they still need office to be paid for.

7. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

john (16th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Therefore, I'm unsure as to whether we qualify or not.
    Just ask yourself: do you licence Office for all your staff via your volume licence agreement? If so, you probably qualify for Student Advantage.

Office 365 ProPlus is delivered and enabled by Office 365. As several others have pointed out, you don't have to use any of the other workloads in order to benefit from this announcement. Yes, you have to sign up if you've not used it before, and yes it would be awesome if you'd consider using the other workloads as well, but if you just want to sign up to get Office 365 ProPlus for your students then that's also fine. Signing up takes a few minutes of your time, and a bit of work with your licensing reseller to acquire the licences. In the coming weeks I'll put some blog posts up that step through the process to make it as simple as possible.

If you don't want to pass on this (quite frankly awesome, in my opinion) benefit to your students you don't have to, but think of it the other way round: why wouldn't you want your students to benefit from having the latest version of Office to use on their devices? If you're paying for your staff to have Office anyway surely it's a no-brainer?

Feedback about this, like anything, is important, would love to know your thoughts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    M$ may be giving software away for free, but they are not a charity.
    It's not free, it's "no additional cost"...

There is a requirement to licence your faculty/staff on your OVS-ES, or EES VL agreements in order to unlock this benefit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Just ask yourself: do you licence Office for all your staff via your volume licence agreement? If so, you probably qualify for Student Advantage.

Office 365 ProPlus is delivered and enabled by Office 365. As several others have pointed out, you don't have to use any of the other workloads in order to benefit from this announcement. Yes, you have to sign up if you've not used it before, and yes it would be awesome if you'd consider using the other workloads as well, but if you just want to sign up to get Office 365 ProPlus for your students then that's also fine. Signing up takes a few minutes of your time, and a bit of work with your licensing reseller to acquire the licences. In the coming weeks I'll put some blog posts up that step through the process to make it as simple as possible.

If you don't want to pass on this (quite frankly awesome, in my opinion) benefit to your students you don't have to, but think of it the other way round: why wouldn't you want your students to benefit from having the latest version of Office to use on their devices? If you're paying for your staff to have Office anyway surely it's a no-brainer?

Feedback about this, like anything, is important, would love to know your thoughts.
    As if you hadnt given yourself a busy day already!! :-p

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    As if you hadnt given yourself a busy day already!! :-p
    I've been doing this job over 3 years. This is the busiest I've been, outside of BETT.

Still love it, every single day.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    There are perfectly obvious business reasons for doing this. M$ may be giving software away for free, but they are not a charity. If they get students on Office, especially the 365 version, they will want to take it forward when the leave education which means money in the till. However, they still need office to be paid for.
    problem is that we've been burned by this before, quite badly. Remember when MS started offering MS terminal services? - all of a sudden all of students could get 'free' access to MSOffice with a relatively cheap external connector license. Everyone was happy until they suddenly changed the licensing on Office. It impacted our organisation quite badly to the point that SLT moved us to LibreOffice and then Google apps. My worry here is that its a subscription based install, so whereas before we could ride out the problem using an older version of Office, this could end a bit more painfully and more abruptly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    problem is that we've been burned by this before, quite badly.
    If you're concerned about the past, drop me a PM and we can talk. Things have moved on a bit in the last few years, not just licensing wise but technology wise. I know you're not the biggest Microsoft fan in the world, but I'm always happy to have an honest and frank discussion about your concerns if you want.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    If you're concerned about the past, drop me a PM and we can talk. Things have moved on a bit in the last few years, not just licensing wise but technology wise. I know you're not the biggest Microsoft fan in the world, but I'm always happy to have an honest and frank discussion about your concerns if you want.
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I'll have to discuss this with SLT, but it was the lack of accessibility for students that was historically one of our major sticking points on migrating to MSOffice. I'm still not sure anyone would be up for a full migration, but giving away a few thousand copies of Office can only be a good thing (provided I can set the default to OpenDocument Format).

Thank Post

Thanks
    Because that is the way the software is distributed. Look at it that way. How would you like them to provide it, and control access to who gets it at the same time?

Back in the day I had to sign up to an MSDNAA account to download software from Microsoft that was provided to me through an academic establishment. It's not a new concept.

The account on Office 365 lets you download the software, at minimum. If in the future you want it to do more then great but if not set up Office 365 and add your users then forget it ever exists.

You are creating a problem I think where there isn't one.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that.,. ;-)

16. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

john (16th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    problem is that we've been burned by this before, quite badly. Remember when MS started offering MS terminal services? - all of a sudden all of students could get 'free' access to MSOffice with a relatively cheap external connector license. Everyone was happy until they suddenly changed the licensing on Office. It impacted our organisation quite badly to the point that SLT moved us to LibreOffice and then Google apps. My worry here is that its a subscription based install, so whereas before we could ride out the problem using an older version of Office, this could end a bit more painfully and more abruptly.
    The latter part, once they are removed from the licensing it will go into limp mode fairly quickly, we have O365 in parts of our office and its quite clear on the install that you need a valid license and it checks regularly (30 days I think comes to mind) to check you still have a license in the portal and no license = limp mode.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast