+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Microsoft offers students at eligible educational institutions access to full Office in Technical; Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall If you haven't already, then yes. Here's the official answer: My school only has on premises ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    If you haven't already, then yes.

Here's the official answer:

My school only has on premises Office Professional Plus for facultyand staff via EES/OVS-ES. To take advantage of the offer do I need to sign upfor Office 365?

Yes. To takeadvantage of the benefit, schools will need to order the Office 365 ProPlus forstudents $0 subscription. If a customerdoes not have a pre-existing Office 365 tenant, one will need to be establishedwith the Office 365 ProPlus for Students SKU. Those licenses will then need tobe assigned and distributed to the students with instructions on how toinstall.
    Feel totally let down, office 365 isnt any good for us. A little unfair how you are not offering it other customers.

Thank Post
    This means in December I can go to the Office 365 Admin Center go to "purchase services" and purchase 750 "Office 365 ProPlus A for Students" for £0.00 each. Rather than the current £1.27 per month.

Currently "Office 365 Education A2 for Students" is priced at £0.00 (Of which I have 750)

This means after a Dirsync (When I get around to it) the pupils can login to office 365 and download a copy of office pro to their personal PC.
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 15th October 2013 at 03:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    I am sorry James, but I am being thick here possibly. Would it be possible for you spell this out in simple terms for the feeble minded please?

Many of us have EES microsoft office
    Some also have microsoft exchange EES
    Some use Office 365 which is already free

What does this announcement actually mean?

EDIT
    Hopefully chazzy's post above is the answer... I understand that.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 15th October 2013 at 03:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Surely you can just sign up and use the giveaway without actually using it?
    We certainly don't plan on using it until it gets as good as Google apps, but I'll happily sign up for 10,000 'free' copies of full office.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Feel totally let down, office 365 isnt any good for us. A little unfair how you are not offering it other customers.
    You don't have to use Exchange Online, Lync Online or SharePoint Online to benefit from Student Advantage (although clearly I think you should ).

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    This means in December I can go to the Office 365 Admin Center go to "purchase services" and purchase 750 "Office 365 ProPlus A for Students" for £0.00 each. Rather than the current £1.27 per month.
    No. You will have to get the licences from your licensing reseller and add them to your VL agreement. This will not be available via the "purchase services" section of the portal. Once you've done that the licences will appear in Office 365 for you to assign to your student users.

Thank Post
    @jamesbmarshall - What about those of us who get Office 365 via the LGFL?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I am sorry James, but I am being thick here possibly. Would it be possible for you spell this out in simple terms for the feeble minded please?

Many of us have EES microsoft office
    Some also have microsoft exchange EES
    Some use Office 365 which is already free

What does this announcement actually mean?
    It means that if you licence your staff for Office via OVS-ES, or EES, you can licence students for Office 365 ProPlus for no additional cost. Office 365 ProPlus is the version that allows you to install Office on up to 5 devices. (Office 365 ProPlus)

Office 365 Plan A2, while free, does not include Office 365 ProPlus. It only becomes available for no additional cost when you have your staff licensed for Office via your volume licensing agreement.

Thank Post
    Looks like we are stuffed then!
    We have EES for all our onsite licences but our Office365 is supplied by London Grid so its 2 separate entities.

Thank Post
    This is a bloomin' awesome! Just to double spell it out for me. I have EES with a FTE of 101 I purchase office, windows upgrade, server and exchange. I'm entitled to ask softbox for 750 proplus licences.

Also will they auto renew

Can you install on a mac (for those mac peasants!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Looks like we are stuffed then!
    We have EES for all our onsite licences but our Office365 is supplied by London Grid so its 2 separate entities.
    You're not stuffed, but I don't have an answer that I can share in this forum today unfortunately.

The announcement is today, the availability is December. When I have an answer I can share about schools in your situation believe me I'll make it known!

To everyone that might have a question, if you think I'm being a bit stuffy in my answers please understand that there is very careful guidance about how I can respond to your questions at the moment. I'm doing my best. I'm very happy that you're asking lots of questions, and I'll do my best to be clear and provide answers.

11. 2 Thanks to jamesbmarshall:

fiza (15th October 2013), markwilfan (15th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    This is a bloomin' awesome! Just to double spell it out for me. I have EES with a FTE of 101 I purchase office, windows upgrade, server and exchange. I'm entitled to ask softbox for 750 proplus licences.

Also will they auto renew

Can you install on a mac (for those mac peasants!)
    Come December, yes. Just speak to your reseller about Student Advantage.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Can I use this version on RDP? or do student *need* to use the subscription version installed on their local computer?

Thank Post
    @jamesbmarshall - Thanks I will look forward to some further clarification closer to the date.

Do you think the Office 365 'real-time' collaboration will be available by then also?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    How is that a let down? For a few hours of work to setup O365 on a simple and basic level you can offer all your students free licenses for use at home for Office 365 which they can download and run on home computers as long as they are a student at your school. You just need to ask your reseller to license you for X number of the student licenses at $0 once they come out sounds a brilliant deal and just what was missing to me after the removal of cheap MS Office software.

Internally you do as you please and choose and it doesn't change anything you are doing currently so you keep your EES sub with MS Office, Windows, Exchange, SCCM etc.... I don't see the problem other than avoiding doing some prep and setup work as a one off. Its not like you will be using it internally so it shouldn't be seen as a problem if anything I'd say its preventing access to good software for free to enable the students to continue learning and using outside of the classroom.

That is all unless I have mis-understood what @jamesbmarshall has put?
    Last edited by john; 15th October 2013 at 04:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    That is all unless I have mis-understood what @jamesbmarshall has put?
    I'm just going to keep my response the same, a bit like a meditation chant...

"If you licence your staff/faculty for Office on your VL, then you can licence students for Office 365 ProPlus for no additional cost."

Repeat it slowly, with some atmospheric music and incense.

EDIT: http://www.slideshare.net/Microsofte...ustomer-facing - read and inwardly digest!
    Last edited by jamesbmarshall; 15th October 2013 at 05:10 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast