+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Cloud School Network Backup in Technical; Hi, Does anyone here use a cloud backup system rather than backing up to tape? I have just taken over ...
    Thank Post

Question Cloud School Network Backup

Hi,

Does anyone here use a cloud backup system rather than backing up to tape?

I have just taken over as Network Manager in a school and they have SCDPM 2010 which is failing to backup to tape and no-one has sorted it for well over a year. There are so many errors id rather just scrap it and start fresh.

I want to backup to disk locally and then do a offsite cloud backup to replace tapes.

Anyone using a similar service? If so who do you recommend and how much is it likely to cost?
    Last edited by Darylrese; 8th October 2013 at 10:18 PM.

Thank Post
    I have used crashplan pro for backups... Although you might want to look into proe. Prices vary

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Thank Post
    You may want to use Glacier instead. It's cheaper and is made for backups. http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_W View Post
    You may want to use Glacier instead. It's cheaper and is made for backups. Amazon Glacier
    Although the resoration time is rather slow (a couple of hours) and the way Amazon does storage doesn't exactly match up with the way you use block devices. You can get local "cloud backed" storage appliances that can help with both these issues - restoring previous file versions is instant, and they'll show storage locally as a file share or similar. These kind of things are simple enough to set up yourself, too - just install a copy of FreeNAS on a machine with a bunch of hardrives in. FreeNAS will also handle offiste replication - place a second server in another school somewhere, have your local machine replicate to it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Although the resoration time is rather slow (a couple of hours) and the way Amazon does storage doesn't exactly match up with the way you use block devices. You can get local "cloud backed" storage appliances that can help with both these issues - restoring previous file versions is instant, and they'll show storage locally as a file share or similar. These kind of things are simple enough to set up yourself, too - just install a copy of FreeNAS on a machine with a bunch of hardrives in. FreeNAS will also handle offiste replication - place a second server in another school somewhere, have your local machine replicate to it.
    I was correcting the person I quoted but I wouldn't use anything as expensive as Amazon for offsite backups. FreeNAS is very good and a simple rsync should surfice.

7. Thanks to Peter_W from:

dhicks (9th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Another option (not true cloud backup) that I have been told is very good is the logmein backup.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/backup/

You pop a bit of software on any computers you want to be storage units and then set up backup sets etc on the computer you want to backup. The handy thing is if you have a large amount of data you can create a transfer backup set on a portable device and then import it at the other location.

Only 24 a year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    I would recommend Datto appliances - although I doubt the online costs would be in your price range.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I was correcting the person I quoted but I wouldn't use anything as expensive as Amazon for offsite backups. FreeNAS is very good and a simple rsync should surfice.
    Not so much of a correction, Glacier is more for long-term backups. S3 AWS import is still a viable option.

Thank Post
    I was correcting the person I quoted but I wouldn't use anything as expensive as Amazon for offsite backups.
    It is still about the cheapest commercial offering, though - around 2p per GB per month for Glacier, around 10p per GB per month for S3, and I think RackSpace was around 7p per GB per month last time I checked. When I look at the purchase and running costs for a 2U server stuffed full of 4TB drives (around 3,000 to buy for 40TB of space, 100 a month to host in a colocation facility) and the amount some people are charging for cloud storage services (some offers I've seen are around a couple of hundred pounds per month per TB) I sometimes wonder why I'm not running my own cloud storage business - 5p a GB per month for 40TB of space (assuming it was all sold, of course) would bring in over 2,000 a month...

Thank Post
    Try using Mozy Pro, data storage prices are cheap, it backs up normal data like home directories, fileservers. It also backs up Exchange servers and sql databases. easy to install and easy to use.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys

The only thing i can see being an issue is the SIMS data going offsite and how management / governors will view that.

Thank Post
    Where are Mozy servers based?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Where are Mozy servers based?
    All over the world but the EU datacenter is in Ireland and you are able to specify this.

16. Thanks to glennda from:

TheScarfedOne (9th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Just had a call from Redstor and they want 10,000 a year!!! I don't think so somehow....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast