+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Google Docs without email in Technical; Hi Guys, I have been asked to create accounts so that everyone can use Google Docs and calendars, however i ...
    Thank Post

Question Google Docs without email

Hi Guys,

I have been asked to create accounts so that everyone can use Google Docs and calendars, however i want to keep our exchange server for email.

Is this possible and if so what do i need to do?

I have applied for an Education account and its asking me to verify our domain but i don't want to go any further if it's going to effect mail or other services.

We simply want to use it for sharing and collaborating on documents, sharing calendars but nothing else.

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Yes this is possible. We currently have ours setup so staff keep their emails on exchange and the kids emails are in Gmail. You need an email address for all the users you want to sync then just not enable Gmail for the domain. It won't affect your current exchange unless you change the MX records.

Thank Post
    Hi mate

Absolutely possible. That's exactly the setup we have here (although we don't use the shared calendar stuff yet).

As I recall you just have to put a meta tag on the home page of your website and a couple of CNAME entries in your DNS. As long as your DNS settings continue you point to your exchange for email then you should be fine. User's then log in with your domain suffix (i.e. username@yourdomain.com) but it doesn't affect where your email goes.

We also use GADS to manage users which, once set up correctly, works quite well. I'd also advise trying to get the password sync installed as part of the process as I didn't and really regret it. Haven't looked at SSO yet.

Google support are actually really good at guiding you through this (in my experience anyway).

Take heart knowing that if I can do it so can you!

Thank Post
    works perfectly. Google docs is great so enjoy it

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, LT are trying it out at the moment then i will look to get everyone on it if they want to go ahead with it. Good to hear i don't have to come away from exchange just yet.

Many thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread