+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Chromebook DHCP issues in Technical; Hi,I am having a mare with my chromebooks. I have assigned static IP addresses through my windows DHCP but they ...

Thank Post

Chromebook DHCP issues

Hi,I am having a mare with my chromebooks. I have assigned static IP addresses through my windows DHCP but they are coming up with bad address / already in use randomly. I have set an exclusion range so they don't get reassigned and when I get rid of the reservation and reassign it then it works but randomly they are showing up as bad addresses / address in use.Bonkers.They are managed devices and it would be wonderful if I could set a static IP but I can't find the settings.

Thank Post
    Anything useful in the logs on the DHCP server? ( %windir%\System32\dhcp )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why are you setting static IP addresses for laptops in your DHCP server? I'm not sure what do you hope to gain by that, but it will likely be only pain.

You're probably getting IP address conflict errors because the DHCP server has handed out some of those IP addresses to clients prior to you setting static exclusions for them (assuming you took those IP addresses out of the pool by associating the chromebook Mac addresses with the IPs). If a client already had a lease for the IP it wouldn't just hand it back over because you statically assigned it to another client. Nope, it would cling to it for dear life until the lease expired or you forced it to release it.

Don't do it this way. Just let DHCP do its job and save yourself lots of trouble.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 1,005 Posts
    @ Simcfc73 - when you say "I have assigned static IP addresses through my windows DHCP", Do you mean as in you created DHCP Reservations using the different network interface MAC Addresses ?

Or as in you just literally have a dhcp range and then you are manually / statically configuring the network card ( whether LAN or WLAN ) with that ip address / subnet mask , default gateway etc etc ?

I agree with @seawolf

Thank Post
    I am having the same issue. I created reservations for 30 chromebooks and usually during the day anywhere from 3-6 chromebooks can't connect. We are a school setting and when the student logs out of the chromebook a message pops up and asks the student to pick a network. It the chromebook sits it may connect, but some will not connect at all unless I delete the reservation and re-add it. I am getting ready to deploy 150 more but I can't deal with this. We need the reservations for tracking, but I will add static numbers if necessary. Any suggestions?

Thank Post
    We are experiencing the same problem. Doe's anyone have an answer please?

Thank Post
    DHCP reservation BAD_Address and Mac Address changes.

We set a DHCP reservation so I can assign the chromebooks to a range in Smoothwall. I do make sure there are no active leases and it was going on for weeks and my leases are only set for 8 days so there is definitely no conflict.

I did find a TechNet article about what's going on but cannot find it now, its a known issue. If I remember its something to do with the IP address and hex.

The one at the top is similar

I didn't find a fix but ended up using my SW box as a dhcp server on a separate VLAN dishing out IP addresses to a SSID only these connected to.....not had an issues since.

8. Thanks to Simcfc73 from:

TechTeamIT (10th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    DHCP reservation BAD_Address and Mac Address changes.

We set a DHCP reservation so I can assign the chromebooks to a range in Smoothwall. I do make sure there are no active leases and it was going on for weeks and my leases are only set for 8 days so there is definitely no conflict.

I did find a TechNet article about what's going on but cannot find it now, its a known issue. If I remember its something to do with the IP address and hex.

The one at the top is similar

I didn't find a fix but ended up using my SW box as a dhcp server on a separate VLAN dishing out IP addresses to a SSID only these connected to.....not had an issues since.
    I don't understand why you've set up a second DHCP server just to hand out IP addresses on a new VLAN? You should only need (and only should have) one DHCP server on a network. The DHCP server can hand out IP addresses as required for any VLAN, we have 35 VLANs here and only one DHCP server. We also have 6 SSIDs all using a different VLAN and VLAN-based filtering for devices like Chromebooks and iPads. We can easily correlate an IP address to the device name from the DCHP lease records if needed. I would generally recommend a similar setup for most people in filtering these devices rather than static IPs, etc.

10. Thanks to seawolf from:

mac_shinobi (21st December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I don't understand why you've set up a second DHCP server just to hand out IP addresses on a new VLAN? You should only need (and only should have) one DHCP server on a network. The DHCP server can hand out IP addresses as required for any VLAN, we have 35 VLANs here and only one DHCP server. We also have 6 SSIDs all using a different VLAN and VLAN-based filtering for devices like Chromebooks and iPads. We can easily correlate an IP address to the device name from the DCHP lease records if needed. I would generally recommend a similar setup for most people in filtering these devices rather than static IPs, etc.
    I have a secondary because of the original issue which no one has suggested a fix, I know you can do it all with a single DHCP but what's the point is the issue
    is with M$ and the devices.

I didn't say it was perfect but it works a treat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    I have a secondary because of the original issue which no one has suggested a fix, I know you can do it all with a single DHCP but what's the point is the issue
    is with M$ and the devices.
    Well, can't help with the Windows DHCP issue if that's what's causing it. I've always used a Linux dhcp3 server. Far more flexible, reliable, and powerful in my opinion. Plus, the whole server is only 8GB in size so can be vmotioned in a flash, or restored from backup in minutes if it all goes pear shaped.

Thank Post
    It is a known issue with windows DHCP servers and chromebooks, What i recommend you do is go into chrome://flags on a device and select: Experimental static ip configuration
    When done reboot and go into network and input the IP address the DHCP server reserved and your nameservers, Reboot the device and connect to the network.

Fixed!

If anyone else could test this that would be great (and post back)
    Last edited by ChromebookUser; 29th January 2014 at 08:20 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread