+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, [Office 365] Outlook Connectivity through proxy in Technical; Who fancies helping me with this one then...... This happens across the site, however it has only just clicked into ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

[Office 365] Outlook Connectivity through proxy

Who fancies helping me with this one then......

This happens across the site, however it has only just clicked into place the potential issue which has been plaguing me.

Several users use Outlook, including myself, to access Office 365 which isn't unreasonable.

Several of us, including myself, occaisionally have long delays when logging into our Mailbox, looking at the connection status in Outlook, it is taking a long time to connect to the severs.

The cause, for whatever reason, is the proxy configuration which makes no sense to me at all. The default setup currently for staff is to use an Autoconfiguration script in order to go through a specific proxy to grant access to Youtube. If this is used then Outlook works without issue most of the time, connecting and opening quickly. If you alter the setup not to use the Autoconfiguration script, which we need to do sometimes because the proxy we use does something weird to some websites requiring logins meaning they don't work, and set it to use a specific proxy then all of a sudden Outlook takes an age to connect to Office 365. This is regardless of the specific proxy server you configure it to use, even if it's configured to use the same one the autoconfig script points to (CLEO NED), Smoothwall or straight out to the Cumbria one.

Any hints as to what the heck is going?
    Last edited by Cache; 29th September 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Thank Post
    I know a few people in Lancashire who have experienced this such as @dezt. I don't know how they have resolved it or if they have but they seem to think its due to the firewall configuration at County. (One Connect). One of the NM has seem to suggest to me that it works fine at home and they issues exist inside the cleo network.

Thank Post
    We get the same lack of connectivity issues at times on the SWGfL, but conversations with support there resulted with a "can't be an issue with us, call Microsoft" type of response.

I've got users on Outlook 2013 using both cached and uncached outlook connections, and tomorrow I'm gonna try forcing a basic theme onto a user to see if it wants to be stable but not holding out much hope.

Since the OWA connection is fine all day long, and Outlook is talking over ports 80 and 443 as well it must be a proxy server issue somewhere outside the school network (since we don't use a proxy onsite and I doubt Impero is the issue but I'm not ruling that out either yet)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeC View Post
    I know a few people in Lancashire who have experienced this such as @dezt. I don't know how they have resolved it or if they have but they seem to think its due to the firewall configuration at County. (One Connect). One of the NM has seem to suggest to me that it works fine at home and they issues exist inside the cleo network.
    This is what confused me, just remembered cumbria have their own Pac file too.

No matter which pac file I use, the CLEO/One Connect or Cumbria (Can't make my smoothwall one work for some reason, but that's me not getting smoothwall somewhere along the line) it works instantly (nearly, not faultless) everytime. The issue only rears it's head if I tell it to use the proxy directly. If it was firewall related, surely it would still occur using the pac file?

I wonder if it is an Outlook issue....

Edit: Fixed my Smoothwall pac, it works instantly as well when configured to use that...
    Last edited by Cache; 29th September 2013 at 05:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    This is what confused me, just remembered cumbria have their own Pac file too.

No matter which pac file I use, the CLEO/One Connect or Cumbria (Can't make my smoothwall one work for some reason, but that's me not getting smoothwall somewhere along the line) it works instantly (nearly, not faultless) everytime. The issue only rears it's head if I tell it to use the proxy directly. If it was firewall related, surely it would still occur using the pac file?

I wonder if it is an Outlook issue....

Edit: Fixed my Smoothwall pac, it works instantly as well when configured to use that...
    I've had this issue via the BGFL at 2 separate schools, wouldn't work via the normal proxy address but when Link2ICT changed it to an IP format it sprung into life. Also had issues with BGFL blocking the online activation service for 2013 and 2010 which means manual activation of 40pc's... :-S frustrating

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHouse View Post
    I've had this issue via the BGFL at 2 separate schools, wouldn't work via the normal proxy address but when Link2ICT changed it to an IP format it sprung into life.
    Frustrating indeed.

When you say Link2ICT changed it to an IP format, do you mean using the IP address in the specify a proxy server rather then the DNS name or did they do some other magic?

Just to prove the point, changing the proxy while Outlook is open still has a performance impact once Outlook recognises the change which is really annoying as I think I know the cause but don't know the problem or solution other then going back to a PAC file
    Last edited by Cache; 30th September 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Just noticed this thread, we had problems originally with outlook losing its connection to the servers for about 10 - 15 seconds, then it would reconnect. We also had an issue with OWA timing out as well. We had many conversations since November last year when we first set Office 365 up. In the end we took the big step to change our broadband supplier, since the new connection went in over the summer holidays, we've had no problems what so ever. I use outlook every day and it doesn't drop at all, our staff and students that use OWA have no problems at all either.

Best move we ever made was moving broadband away from one connect.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not likely to be a possibility for us unless things change drastically in the next month

I still don't get the fact that it is fine working with a pac file though, regardless of the proxy the pac file specifies. Maybe I'm getting hung up on it, but it's really bugging me now

Thank Post
    Frustrating indeed.

When you say Link2ICT changed it to an IP format, do you mean using the IP address in the specify a proxy server rather then the DNS name or did they do some other magic?

Just to prove the point, changing the proxy while Outlook is open still has a performance impact once Outlook recognises the change which is really annoying as I think I know the cause but don't know the problem or solution other then going back to a PAC file
    They pointed it to an IP address that wasn't our proxy, but resolved to eduproxy.bgfl.org I know it wasn't ours as I have my wifi and android devices configured to use ours via IP rather than eduproxy.bgfl.org

Thank Post
    Try un-ticking the Bypass proxy for local addresses tick box in the Internet Explorer proxy settings.. seems to have the same effect as setting a PAC file (but, obviously, without needing to mess about with PAC files!). Outlook now connects instantly.

11. 2 Thanks to drsox:

Cache (3rd October 2013), themightymrp (12th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OMG! Your a genius!

Now why the hell does that make it work? I can't remember why I have it ticked now (just assumed you needed it), what am I going to lose by unticking it?

13. Thanks to Cache from:

themightymrp (12th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Now why the hell does that make it work?
    I'm going to guess that Outlook assumes that all exchange servers are local even though the IP isn't within your local network range. Or... like IE's detection.. it is not very good at detecting what is local and what isn't.
    I can't remember why I have it ticked now (just assumed you needed it), what am I going to lose by unticking it?
    Potentially loss of access to printer web based interfaces, espresso (if you have the expresso box, rather than accessing their website) or other local based websites. If your proxy is within your building it is likely this access will still work anyway but just via the proxy. If your proxy is "cloud based" ie, segfl.. where it is hosted at RM, it will either fail (if you have a strict firewall configuration) or still work but go all the way out and back over your broadband.

15. Thanks to drsox from:

Cache (3rd October 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drsox View Post
    Potentially loss of access to printer web based interfaces, espresso (if you have the expresso box, rather than accessing their website) or other local based websites. If your proxy is within your building it is likely this access will still work anyway but just via the proxy. If your proxy is "cloud based" ie, segfl.. where it is hosted at RM, it will either fail (if you have a strict firewall configuration) or still work but go all the way out and back over your broadband.
    Spotted that soon after I posted.

Nearly everything is listed in the Bypass proxy exceptions, I just need to make sure it's all listed and then I'm away.

Can't tell you how much this has made me day (shows what sort of time I'm having at the moment!)

Thank Post
    I could possibly kiss you guys for this thread! I've been struggling for ages with super slow or not working connections with Outlook and office 365. (see thread below). I've just tried removing the tick box for bypassing proxy for local connections and its working like a dream!!!!!!

I can't believe this was suggested to me sooner! Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!

VERY slow connecting Outlook 2007/10 to Office 365... only when logged onto Domain

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I never made the link between your problem and mine, sorry!

I'm still amazed (although god only knows why) that one little tick box can make all the difference!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information