+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, office 365 single sign on (good idea or waste of time) in Technical; a lot of my schools (read probably all) are moving to office 365 as lln are going away . Now ...

Thank Post

office 365 single sign on (good idea or waste of time)

a lot of my schools (read probably all) are moving to office 365 as lln are going away . Now i quickly set it up in one school (they wanted email addresses asap so i just dumped ad users into a spreadsheet twiddle a bit and uploaded them so they now all have shiny new office 265 email). In the future (or possibly retroactively bearing in mind as usernames are in that schoo, staffab and office 365 are first.surname (and to complicate further a few have married name on 365 not in ad)) how easy and more importantly useful is it to set up sso?

If its a lot of faffing round to just skip 1 password is it worth it?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Pointless imo, our students and staff have no problem logging on to webmail when they need to.

Outlook client requires no login after the first setup.

Simples

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Pointless imo, our students and staff have no problem logging on to webmail when they need to.

Outlook client requires no login after the first setup.

Simples
    thats my take on it as well just wanted opinions looking into sso it looks like a right pita

Thank Post
    We are going down the Office365 route as well. I saw the SSO option, but haven't decided as yet.
    From a security point of view, we all know what certain members of staff can be like when it comes to leaving themselves logged in to a computer and walking away...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hallb15 View Post
    We are going down the Office365 route as well. I saw the SSO option, but haven't decided as yet.
    From a security point of view, we all know what certain members of staff can be like when it comes to leaving themselves logged in to a computer and walking away...
    stupidity/lazyness will always trump technology

Thank Post
    This leads me on to another issue. One domain or two?
    As all LLN schools were originally configured with two domains, one for Admin and one for Curriculum, and have a CISCO router to separate them, (which I assume LLN will want back) what are you doing about your domains when you leave LLN?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hallb15 View Post
    This leads me on to another issue. One domain or two?
    As all LLN schools were originally configured with two domains, one for Admin and one for Curriculum, and have a CISCO router to separate them, (which I assume LLN will want back) what are you doing about your domains when you leave LLN?
    i have as admin servers get replaced been moving them to a single network anyway just leaving a 2nd nic in the "admin" server for avco all thats all that half of the router does (unless they have voip)

school im at now has had a single domain for a few years im moving another to single domain at half term (admin server and 2-3 pcs wow that needs a domain lol) they even had a better spec dell server lying unused than their ye olde admin hp server
    Last edited by sted; 27th September 2013 at 01:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    thats my take on it as well just wanted opinions looking into sso it looks like a right pita
    I did it in an afternoon. It's not that hard. The instructions that Microsoft provide on their website are pretty clear and comprehensive and will guide you through the process nicely. It means that your users will have to remember one less password which is always useful.

Plus once ADFS is set up, there's no reason why you couldn't use it for other services. We have it authenticating our Blackboard users and we're using a hosted service from them now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    I did it in an afternoon. It's not that hard. The instructions that Microsoft provide on their website are pretty clear and comprehensive and will guide you through the process nicely. It means that your users will have to remember one less password which is always useful.

Plus once ADFS is set up, there's no reason why you couldn't use it for other services. We have it authenticating our Blackboard users and we're using a hosted service from them now.
    ok then do i need any extra hardware/
    looking at it its the certificates stuff that puts me off and my domain is school.local and email is now longschoolname.co.uk iirc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depends. I have it running on VMs so I didn't need any additional hardware. You could put it on existing member servers if you wanted to. You can't put the ADFS and ADFS proxy on the same box, you shouldn't out either onto a domain controller.

The only certificate that you need to worry about is the one that your ADFS server is published at. It will need to be a trusted cert from the likes of Verisign or Comodo (I got ours from Janet). It doesn't matter what your email domain or AD domain is called.

You will need to have the ADFS proxy on a publicly accessible IP address though, that may be your biggest difficulty. I don't know if it will work through a reverse proxy or not.

Thank Post
    You might want to consider using a mesh host, like Welcome to YouID they can sync all your usernames and passwords over various services for single sign on . Think its about £2 per user but they can host a frontend for users

Thank Post
    We have Office365 for students and it has crossed my mind a couple of times if we offer SSO but the negs outweigh the positives, such as they are relaying on us to authenticate for them. What happens if i want to do work on the servers over the weekend and restart the servers, students are then left without access to their emails.

Thank Post
    Depends. I have it running on VMs so I didn't need any additional hardware. You could put it on existing member servers if you wanted to. You can't put the ADFS and ADFS proxy on the same box, you shouldn't out either onto a domain controller.

The only certificate that you need to worry about is the one that your ADFS server is published at. It will need to be a trusted cert from the likes of Verisign or Comodo (I got ours from Janet). It doesn't matter what your email domain or AD domain is called.

You will need to have the ADFS proxy on a publicly accessible IP address though, that may be your biggest difficulty. I don't know if it will work through a reverse proxy or not.
    i have a single external ip address but thats atm used for my bodged set up to test then went live) terminal server but i could probably redirect the ports to the requisite server i have s 2008r1 box there doing jack (was the main server went wyrd was replaced now im trying to rehabilitate it as extra backup storage)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you have control of your external DNS as well?

Thank Post
    Do you have control of your external DNS as well?
    personally no but i "think" the boss does as he sorted the mx records out but atm i doubt the url does owt its just for email

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast