+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, VERY slow connecting Outlook 2007/10 to Office 365... only when logged onto Domain in Technical; OK, long title but sums it up I think. I am having issues getting MS Outlook 2007 or 2010 to ...
    Thank Post

VERY slow connecting Outlook 2007/10 to Office 365... only when logged onto Domain

OK, long title but sums it up I think.

I am having issues getting MS Outlook 2007 or 2010 to connect to our Office 365 system. At least, I'm only getting problems when I'm logging into the school domain.

If I try setting up Outlook on a home PC, it works like a charm. If I log into the machine locally whilst in the school, put in our proxy settings and try setting up Outlook ..... works like a charm.

However, if I log into the domain I get SERIOUS slowdown!! Connecting to an account can take up to 10 minutes!!

We are using ADFS for SSO and for Outlook Web Apps it's all working lovely, no issues at all. But, in order to migrate some things from our old email system I need to use .PST files in Outlook to act as the go-between.

I have added the CNAME of autodiscover to our DNS to point to autodiscover.outlook.com and practically anything else I can think of.

Anybody have some insights on what it might be? I have tried moving a computer account to an area of the AD with minimal GPO's applied and still get it.

Thank Post
    Bumpty bump

Anyone???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't know whether this will help or not as I don't know how ADFS impacts on everything.

You could try installing KB2817574 (Description of the Outlook 2010 hotfix package (Outlook-x-none.msp): August 13, 2013) and see if that helps, it certainly helped a lot of our connection issues.

4. Thanks to Cache from:

themightymrp (11th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Sounds interesting thanks - I will give it a go

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Check your proxy server as well.

We have problems using transparent authentication for the initial connect. After that its fine.

Thank Post
    We don't have a transparent proxy, its entered manually (well, via GPO anyway). Hoever using the same proxy settings while logged in locally allows it to work :-/ So I don't *think* its that.. Never know though

Thank Post
    The hotfix didn't work

Still the same problem; when logged onto the domain, Outlook 2007 or 2010 take AGES to find and connect to a 365 account. Once it eventually goes in and you get as far as the Inbox it all works fine (which I think is odd??).

If I do the same setup logged in locally to the machine or do it from home - no problem. Takes just a few seconds and it's ready.

This is driving me nuts!!! For one things, when I'm logged in locally it is using the same DNS settings and the same proxy settings as when I'm on the domain. Could it be any part of the SSO setup which is causing the issue? SSO for the Web App is working lovely and I don't want to tinker and potentially screw something up.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well if it doesn't happen on a local account I guess it is something to do with your SSO setup (but that's beyond me).

It might be worth downloading the new Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer from the Tools section of the Office 365 portal and see if that brings forth any issues?

You'll need to install .net 4.5 before it will run however.

10. Thanks to Cache from:

themightymrp (12th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Will def take a look at that! Didn't know it was there - cheers!

Will report back my findings....

Thank Post
    OK. Ran the test both logged in locally and on the domain. Got the same results back for each!?

I am attaching the HTML results (in a zip file) if anyone feels like telling me what the errors mean and how to fix them. I have adjusted the code to hide my actual email address.

Any help is appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    I'm wondering about a DNS setup issue.

Internally, the domain is of the form domain.local - but our emails are school.sch.uk

The SSO is working because I added the alternative UPN to the system and all user accounts UPNs match the user@school.sch.uk

However.... my URL of adfs.school.sch.uk when in the school resolves to the external IP address. Should this resolve to my 10.*.*.* internal address?? If so how do I add that to my DNS server? Do I need to create a second DNS zone for the .sch.uk part?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, that's now beyond me, but you could be on the right lines.

I would *guess* that if you create a forward lookup zone of adfs.school.sch.uk on your internal dns server and then create a blank host record and enter your internal ip address that might do it? But I'm really really not certain....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Sorry, that's now beyond me, but you could be on the right lines.

I would *guess* that if you create a forward lookup zone of adfs.school.sch.uk on your internal dns server and then create a blank host record and enter your internal ip address that might do it? But I'm really really not certain....

I would think doing something similar might help things or make firewall rule to keep ADFS internal rather than going out to proxy depending how you have things setup

Thank Post
    Whilst internally yeah, you would want your ADFS name to resolve to the internal side, saves it going 'out and back'.

Though, if your 'off domain but in school' test still uses the same DNS servers it's likely this is a red herring but still sensible to do.

You can add a DNS zone to your internal DNS that is just "adfs.school.co.uk" with the 10.x.y.z IP so you don't need to reinvent the wheel for the whole zone.

Thank Post
    I have this and our internal domain is the same as the external (schname.county.sch.uk).

Outlook either won't connect using autodiscover CNAME, or errors. It then uses the "backup" via SRV record which takes forever as it hits the CNAME autodiscover for ages before trying the SRV record.

As for a solution - no idea!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast