+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Office 365

Hi We are currently signed up to the office 365 plan A2 for students and staff. I need to be able to keep all emails for 5 years. I think to enable this you need to be signed up to the A3 plan.
    Is this correct and how is other school doing this? Its going to cost a lot of money

Thanks

Students:
    £1.90 user/ month

Faculty and staff:
    £3.40 user/ month

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    If you need archiving and compliance you'll have to pay for it.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply. So for 1200 students and 200 Staff it would be cheaper putting in an exchange server then?

Thanks for your help.

Thank Post
    You can journal off to a separate email address, then export that to a PST, and backup.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itgeek View Post
    Thanks for your reply. So for 1200 students and 200 Staff it would be cheaper putting in an exchange server then?

Thanks for your help.
    Does sticking an exchange server in solve your archiving and compliance issues though?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Do you need to keep student mail for 5 years? Staff I could maybe understand but student is unusual I would say.

An in-house Exchange server will be significantly cheaper with those numbers for the users needs, cheap NAS for the Archive box using the achiving and retention policy in exchange job done.

Thank Post
    Further to @ john's post, I think you can have a mix of subscription levels, ie upgrade just the staff accounts if they're the only ones who need 5 year archiving.

Thank Post
    At the moment you cant mix service subscriptions just yet. If you go to A3 then you can just put them in hold, no need to archive.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itgeek View Post
    Hi We are currently signed up to the office 365 plan A2 for students and staff. I need to be able to keep all emails for 5 years. I think to enable this you need to be signed up to the A3 plan.
    The A3 plan offers a lot more than just the unlimited mailbox and archiving features. It also includes the Office ProPlus subscription and other little enhancements. If you're specifically looking for longer rolling legal hold then you could look at just purchasing the Exchange Online Plan 2 component and giving that to the users that require it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    You can journal off to a separate email address, then export that to a PST, and backup.
    This is also another option; if you've got on-premises or other hosted storage then you can do this without Exchange Online Plan 2 or A3.

Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    Further to @ john's post, I think you can have a mix of subscription levels, ie upgrade just the staff accounts if they're the only ones who need 5 year archiving.
    Exactly this. You can have (for example) your students on A2, your "regular" teaching staff on A2, and your admin staff, SLT, etc. on A2 + Exchange Online Plan 2 or A3. Basically you can assign licences to whichever users need the functionality. I'd say that it would be a pretty unusual requirement to need to keep student mail for 5 years; perhaps the 30-day single item recovery is enough for them?

Thank Post
    If you have staff time you could always connect to Outlook and save in a PST. Depends on the number of mailboxes though.

Thank Post
    not really ket on pst files they can get corrupted. So at a min, back them up. I would still would go for a journaling or archive solution.

Thank Post
    You could be cheeky and use gmail for archiving , we are looking to sync AD to both office 365 and Google services , users use office 365 and we run mailbox sync from office 365 to gmail accounts. As long as you don't set Gmail to delete users when removed from active directory you should be able to keep your archive on Gmail. To stop users signing in to email accounts just remove permission and allow only sync admin account access.

Thank Post
    Don't forget that, under A2, you get 50GB inbox and 50GB archive for free. You just need to turn the archive on, and set some policies.

It depends on your requirements. If you just want to offer a "best effort" archive for emails for a period of time then you could just use the free archive features, turn single item recovery to the full 30 days free. After 30 days this would not stop mail being permanently deleted, but at least you'd have a process for automatically keeping stuff.

If, however, your requirements are that you must keep mail for a mandated amount of time (let's say 7 years) to comply with FOI requests or whatever might come your way, then you could invest in Exchange Online Plan 2, as I mentioned previously. This allows you to extend your single-item recovery beyond 30 days, and also allows you to put mailboxes on litigation hold.

I would definitely not recommend PST files. That is a world of problems waiting to happen. If you just want somewhere to shove mail that's safe and anywhere-that's-not-my-inbox then I'd give the online archive a go and see how you get on.

Thank Post
    You can have your own exchange server with 1 client cal and use that for journaling from O365.

Thank Post
    sorry to drag up an old thread but we are looking into a similar area...

Does having an EES agreement give you access to any of the litigation hold/extended recovery features or are the exchange online plans entirely different?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast