+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, [Office 365] dirsync and changed username in Technical; Afternoon all Having got into the swing of thigns with Office 365, I've now hit a stumbling block. I've had ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

[Office 365] dirsync and changed username

Afternoon all

Having got into the swing of thigns with Office 365, I've now hit a stumbling block.

I've had to rename 2 users in Active Directory which has all gone fine and dandy, dirsync has picked up the new email address, new display name and everything except the new username.

Is there something I'm doing wrong in order to rename the user in Office 365 or can anyone point me in the powershell direction in order to be able to change it?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Have you set their UPN in AD to be their new username?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi James

Yes, I've altered everything from, for example joe.bloggs to james.bloggs in both the samaccountname and the UPN field.

Thank Post
    I think this is what you may need: Set-MsolUserPrincipalName -newuserprincipalname newname@yourdomain.com -userprincipalname oldname@yourdomain.com

this is run in remote ps btw
    Last edited by the_dude; 10th September 2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: remote ps

5. 3 Thanks to the_dude:

Cache (11th September 2013), mortstar (26th August 2014), sonofsanta (5th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    @the_dude is correct, I had to do the same thing recently with a user who has changed their name. DirSync can't seem to manage it, and for some reason Microsoft don't let you rename AD-synced accounts in the web GUI, but it works in remote PowerShell.

If you've not used remote PowerShell before there are some setup steps. Here's the official reference on TechNet: Manage Windows Azure AD using Windows PowerShell

7. 2 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

Cache (11th September 2013), zag (11th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks both, I've managed to get that sorted now.

It does seem odd considering DirSync can manage everything else without a hitch.

The only thing I've spotted is I can't alter the onmicrosoft.com domain now to reflect the change as I still redirect from our old webmail up their just in case but I'll work around that somehow. (Well I can get the new one on there, but can't remove the old one).

Cheers again both!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    The only thing I've spotted is I can't alter the onmicrosoft.com domain now to reflect the change as I still redirect from our old webmail up their just in case but I'll work around that somehow.
    Do you mean changing it from something.onmicrosoft.com to somethingelse.onmicrosoft.com? If so, then I can save you some time, because unfortunately once it's set when you first sign up, it's set for life. The only way to change it would be to start again from scratch in a new environment.

Of course, you can add your own custom domains in as you need them but the .onmicrosoft.com bit (aka the MODRD, or MOERA) can't be altered.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Do you mean changing it from something.onmicrosoft.com to somethingelse.onmicrosoft.com? If so, then I can save you some time, because unfortunately once it's set when you first sign up, it's set for life. The only way to change it would be to start again from scratch in a new environment.

Of course, you can add your own custom domains in as you need them but the .onmicrosoft.com bit (aka the MODRD, or MOERA) can't be altered.
    No, I'm quite happy with the actual onmicrosoft.com domain we've got (fits in perfectly with the school domain).

When creating the user, dirsync gave it a user1@domain.onmicrosoft.com, renaming it put it out of sync so it was user2@mydomain.com and still had user1@domain.onmicrosoft.com. I've now got it to have user2@mydomain.com, user2@domain.onmicrosoft.com and user1@domain.onmicrosoft.com

Sorry, I've probably not explained it all very well. Because it's dirsync'd I can't remove the user1@domain.onmicrosoft.com.
    Last edited by Cache; 11th September 2013 at 12:46 PM.

Thank Post
    new to dirsync so any help will be really appreciated. installed it on a server 2008r2 member. ran through the setup all was successful. right at the end it said sync so I did. I have since been on our office 365 portal and it has uploaded all accounts within AD all to the .onmicrosoft
    how do I manually pick which groups or users i want to sync? is there also anyway of setting the properdomain name as default instead of the onmicrosoft.com

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I followed this guide for the OU level filtering and it worked perfectly: Installing and Configure DirSync with OU level filtering for Office365 - Denotation - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

In regards to the onmicrosoft domain. For your already synced users, you will need to either bulk edit the users through the Office 365 Portal or run the Powershell command above with some sort of scripting to do all your users.

If you want DirSync to set any new users up with your domain name automatically, you will need to configure it as an additional UPN within your Active Directory. (I haven't done this, I'm still on the manual activate and alter UPN stage in the portal and is working quite well so far, touch wood!)

13. Thanks to Cache from:

andybarker27 (4th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Cache thanks for your reply. Just tried doing it and I think Dirsync has been updated since they wrote the MSDN page.
    I can see the section where you would click select "Containers" once I click this another box pops up with the forest name of my internal network and a username of MSOL_3546fdcccb8c which is the username Dirsync uses to contact my office 365 account. But I now cannot do anything else as I do not know this password
    any ideas now
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No your right, it confused me at first. Delete the msol account name and enter the administrator account details for your domain and then you can filter on the ou.

Thank Post
    cheers as soon as I posted I though shall I do that. so I did and clicked on container I just wanted. As the whole forest was ticked before I presume it will remove these users from Office 365 as they are no longer sync.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, when the sync next occurs all those users will move to the recycle bin (can't remember whether it's called the recycle bin or not but you get what I mean)

18. Thanks to Cache from:

andybarker27 (4th October 2013)

Thank Post
    I forced sync - or well I think I have. says complete but all users still on office 365

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast