+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 Exchange Online now 50GB Mailbox per user! in Technical; Originally Posted by CyberNerd Yes that was a typo - I meant the A3 plan. They missed out a load ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Yes that was a typo - I meant the A3 plan.
    They missed out a load of stuff from the free plan with collaboration - to get the most out of it you need to use a local install of office and link with sharepoint to have multiple author editing and you can't do that on A2. That was *the* thing that teachers wanted when polled. hence we gave up on MSOffice.
    Quick question on this, what exactly are the collaborative features unavailable on the A3 plan? We're running A2, but with the Office connector tool availble from everybody's dashboard, we've connected our existing Office 2010 installs to Sharepoint. Granted, we are still pre-service upgrade, but we do appear to have the full capability of Sharepoint 2010 as far as workflows and version controls. For those without a local install, the Web apps are at least enough to edit the documents on the fly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayki5 View Post
    Quick question on this, what exactly are the collaborative features unavailable on the A3 plan? We're running A2, but with the Office connector tool availble from everybody's dashboard, we've connected our existing Office 2010 installs to Sharepoint. Granted, we are still pre-service upgrade, but we do appear to have the full capability of Sharepoint 2010 as far as workflows and version controls. For those without a local install, the Web apps are at least enough to edit the documents on the fly.
    So to get your students all working on a collaborative document they all need office installed and have to have an office license. 9/10 of our students don't have a copy (and 99% don't have a legitimate copy) so to get them to be able to collaborate we need to buy them one or they are stuck on the cut down web apps. This limitation isn't present in google.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So to get your students all working on a collaborative document they all need office installed and have to have an office license. 9/10 of our students don't have a copy (and 99% don't have a legitimate copy) so to get them to be able to collaborate we need to buy them one or they are stuck on the cut down web apps. This limitation isn't present in google.
    The new version has apparently fixed that in everything but word or so I was told today and they have a 90 day release cycle for more improvements, apparently they are working on word.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    The new version has apparently fixed that in everything but word or so I was told today and they have a 90 day release cycle for more improvements, apparently they are working on word.
    That's much better then. 5yrs after Google did it but better.

Thank Post
    Certainly that could be quite the limitation, but it's not a situation we face, since we only have the Staff on the system at present, since we're at Primary level. Office 365 was the option we felt was better for us, with tighter intergration with our existing Office licence and straight upgrade from Live@Edu. But fair enough, we're operating with different environments and requirements.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's much better then. 5yrs after Google did it but better.
    Despite my obvious bias I have to agree, gaps was first in this and their apps platforms provides many benefits which MS's Sharepoint apps have yet to come anywhere close to matching in the education sector, how many primary schools need a mileage tracking sheet template for their students, I swear they should have a tps report template. What is great once set up, now less of a developer challenge with the SP 2013 backing is the interface, our staff and students (although students adapt fine) just know MS Office, short of starting a small armed conflict keeping that ui familiarity is important as I have witnessed and suffered when other less familiar (and to be fair less well organised) ui's have been tried. Tieing into the tools they can use is also important as a save to sharepoint dialogue in their usual process can trick them into compliance where as a whole new suite will make them cry to union hq about unfair harassment. I am also a huge believer in supporting the opposition, the NZ MoE is supporting GAPS solely blindly giving them every opportunity and if no one picks the opposition there is no reason for them to bother being nice or continuing development and there will be absolute lockin like so many were complaining about Office. To be perfectly frank 365 can make it difficult as comparatively they seem to have put in almost no effort with regard to the school market, sure the stuff they offer is great but template stuff is all for corporate or a decent attempt to put an education face on corporate workflows. Personally I want both to succeed so that schools do not get trapped by their governments short-sightedness (MoE of NZ) and that there is a reason for development to keep going and an incentive not to turn evil because they are the only option. After agreeing with you so much I may need a lie down to recover, but there it is. Sorry for the lack of paragraphs but vBulitin can't manage that on IE10 Metro and I refuse to pander to vBulitins shoddy java code by changing.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 18th September 2013 at 03:39 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234