+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 Exchange Online now 50GB Mailbox per user! in Technical; Originally Posted by techie08 Why is it self centred and why would it cause Entire ICT systems to be outsourced? ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techie08 View Post
    Why is it self centred and why would it cause Entire ICT systems to be outsourced?
    The post showed (tongue in cheek, I hope) that s/he wanted to use a particular system - not because of any benefit to the school, but so s/he could learn to use it in order to move on to a job in industry. IMO this is self centered and detrimental to the school. Anyone who is going to choose X over Y because it will help them get a job somewhere else doesn't deserve to be an educationalist.
    Any head teacher or governing body who was being dictated to by a technician should have them sacked. Outsourcing is a pretty efficient way of sacking someone in a restructure, so it's the most common method.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    This is the sort of self-centred approach that causes entire school ICT systems to be outsourced.
    As long as you are not holding back the school with it and have other actual decent reasons it is not bad. Even our shiny new 100mbit fibre seems to max out at about 1mbit to the MS servers thanks to NZ's pathetic backbone and international links, let's house all our email off site on that... no thanks. Our 'highly trained' teachers still insist on emailing each other multi megabyte files to each other despite better options, sending that offsite then back again over our link would be madness in the highest degree. It does not help that MS does not dedicate much of anything to NZ so short of a new ceo that can see outside the borders of the usa local services may always be better just because they don't rely so heavily on our (lacking) version of the internet. Edit... we actually agree as you clarified above
    Last edited by SYNACK; 12th September 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Thank Post
    I guess that's not so much a problem in the developed world, but I kind of get it that you like being stuck in 1990's ecosystems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Depending on your reason to speed the upgrade it may be possible but the reason must be good.
    Sorry @sukh but the upgrades can't be pulled forward.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I guess that's not so much a problem in the developed world, but I kind of get it that you like being stuck in 1990's ecosystems.
    Because a local Exchange Server is soooooooo different from a hosted one, they are pretty much the same only the location, speed and oversight are really different.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 12th September 2013 at 06:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Sorry @sukh but the upgrades can't be pulled forward.

Has to be a critical business reason and even then it may still take time, several weeks. The percentage of this getting through is low but IF there is a critical reason and you can justify/prove this, then you may succeed. But I don't see a reason here?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Surely thinking of local exchange as 1990's is pretty backwards and actually could mean you fall fowl of your own outsourcing (but insourcing I guess) argument when you fail to realise having exchange in-house doesn't mean they are 1990's, they just have a need which you dont. Cloud is good for some and not for others and neither is massively better then the other, its all about your schools needs and nothing else. Some people like cloud some dont but I doubt any of us would lose our job to prevent x or y. Having staff issues where they send large attachments regularly to all staff is a valid negative for externally hosted mail, its not impossible to get staff retrained (or outsourced/replaced? if IT can be dismissed so easily why cant teachers when they refuse to use x or y, you would have no more attachment issues ) to use shares etc but each school could have valid reasons for not making mail attachments training priority especially if everything works well in-house and fast. This is even more true if you use roaming profiles and outlook as cache mode is not really an option or use any of exchanges more advanced features.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 17th September 2013 at 05:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Surely thinking of local exchange as 1990's is pretty backwards and actually could mean you fall fowl of your own outsourcing (but insourcing I guess) argument when you fail to realise having exchange in-house doesn't mean they are 1990's, they just have a need which you dont. Cloud is good for some and not for others and neither is massively better then the other, its all about your schools needs and nothing else. Some people like cloud some dont but I doubt any of us would lose our job to prevent x or y. Having staff issues where they send large attachments regularly to all staff is a valid negative for externally hosted mail, its not impossible to get staff retrained (or outsourced/replaced? if IT can be dismissed so easily why cant teachers when they refuse to use x or y, you would have no more attachment issues ) to use shares etc but each school could have valid reasons for not making mail attachments training priority especially if everything works well in-house and fast. This is even more true if you use roaming profiles and outlook as cache mode is not really an option or use any of exchanges more advanced features.
    We send *masses* of attachments, the difference is they are generally created in the cloud and read in the cloud thus require less bandwidth to transfer offsite than a traditional site-hostedmail server.We have over 1100 devices on site and rarely top 30Mb/s because our cloud solution (google apps) is essentially working online, and even offline doesn't seem to consume much bandwidth. Since we moved to GAPPS (three years ago) our regular bandwidth use has only gone up by 30% yet our device base has gone up over 60%. It's more efficient than sending multiple revisions of word documents and publisher files.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We send *masses* of attachments, the difference is they are generally created in the cloud and read in the cloud thus require less bandwidth to transfer offsite than a traditional site-hostedmail server.We have over 1100 devices on site and rarely top 30Mb/s because our cloud solution (google apps) is essentially working online, and even offline doesn't seem to consume much bandwidth. Since we moved to GAPPS (three years ago) our regular bandwidth use has only gone up by 30% yet our device base has gone up over 60%. It's more efficient than sending multiple revisions of word documents and publisher files.
    There's the ad break I was waiting for, tell us how your way is the best and only way, I'm sure we all want to hear it again.

Thank Post
    I was promoting Cloud services over locally hosted. Including Office 365. The reference to GAPPS was simply because you can't get the collaborative features on Office 365 without getting the expensive A2 version - so we don't use that.

Over the last 10-15 yrs I've been responsible for multiple hosted mail and document services including Sendmail,Zimbra, Exchange 5.5,2000, 2003,2007 and I can confidently say that a cloud solution (including Office 365) is much easier to manage, is cheaper, has less downtime and is likely more secure than any of the above.

I appreciate that most here won't pay for the extra features of Office 365 which brings it near to the level of Google Apps so I apologise for even mentioning it.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Over the last 10-15 yrs I've been responsible for multiple hosted mail and document services including Sendmail,Zimbra, Exchange 5.5,2000, 2003,2007 and I can confidently say that a cloud solution (including Office 365) is much easier to manage, is cheaper, has less downtime and is likely more secure than any of the above.
    +1 on that sir!

I think the proof is in the usage. I could never imagine going back to a local exchange server. All the fun with extending the storage, relaying, mail connectors, millions of options, upgrades, downtime, server problems ect... is a thing of the past thankfully

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I think the proof is in the usage. I could never imagine going back to a local exchange server. All the fun with extending the storage, relaying, mail connectors, millions of options, upgrades, downtime, server problems ect... is a thing of the past thankfully
    In all honesty that stuff is pretty easy for me so it was never an issue hehe.

Thank Post
    I was promoting Cloud services over locally hosted. Including Office 365. The reference to GAPPS was simply because you can't get the collaborative features on Office 365 without getting the expensive A2 version - so we don't use that.
    A2 is free, maybe you mean A3? As far as I know, all the collaborative features are included in the A2 plan for free.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    In all honesty that stuff is pretty easy for me so it was never an issue hehe.
    Snap I never had any bother either glad to find others that report good things!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
    A2 is free, maybe you mean A3? As far as I know, all the collaborative features are included in the A2 plan for free.
    Yes that was a typo - I meant the A3 plan.
    They missed out a load of stuff from the free plan with collaboration - to get the most out of it you need to use a local install of office and link with sharepoint to have multiple author editing and you can't do that on A2. That was *the* thing that teachers wanted when polled. hence we gave up on MSOffice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast