+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 - Deleting a Dirsync mailbox in Technical; Couple of questions I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me out with: 1.) When dirsync runs office ...

Thank Post

Office 365 - Deleting a Dirsync mailbox

Couple of questions I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me out with:

1.) When dirsync runs office 365 seems to automatically create a mailbox for a user is their anyway to prevent the autocreation?
    2.) Can you delete a mailbox created for a user via dirsync without having to delete the user from AD (option is greyed out in web interface)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    You can configure what ou's etc... dirsync looks at to sync then moving the user out of a targeted ou.

User soft-delete and Dirsync filtering enabled - Microsoft Education in the Cloud - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanks I didn't think of filtering the OU's in directory sync, was hoping for a simple delete button though

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why not follow the process in the Filtering by Attribute? It's still not a delete button, but might be easier for you then reorganising your directory if you want?

Our mailboxes certainly aren't automatically created for users, after a user is synced using dirsync I have to go to the portal and Activated it and asign a licence - are you sure you don't have a script running to do this? (I'm looking at a script, however alter the User's domain within the portal so do that all manually currently which with the bulk editing/activating isn't as onerous as it sounds, but is still a pain.) If you just want to remove the mailbox from the user, why not try just removing their licence for Exchange?

Thank Post
    We currently have an exchange 2010 hybrid setup and it seems a little silly that if you use dirsync a mailbox is created automatically on 365 as in some instances I obviously want to create an onsite mailbox!
    Yes I still have to licence the user manually but the mailbox does seem to be automatically created from what I can tell.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    1.) When dirsync runs office 365 seems to automatically create a mailbox for a user is their anyway to prevent the autocreation?
    This isn't the default behavior - do you have any scripts running to assign licences after provisioning? By default, user objects have no services provisioned against them until you go and assign a licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    2.) Can you delete a mailbox created for a user via dirsync without having to delete the user from AD (option is greyed out in web interface)
    Not really (by which I mean not easily, or in a supported manner!). Once you tie your Office 365 tenant to your AD for that particular domain namespace it will always defer to the local AD for changes to user objects. If you don't want user objects in the cloud to receive certain workloads then remove the licences assigned to them; or remove/filter them out in the AD.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread