+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Chrome Management Console in Technical; Hi, I purchased some chromebooks and manangement console licenses (chromebooks arrived today) and wondered how the licenses are delivered. I ...

Thank Post

Chrome Management Console

Hi,

I purchased some chromebooks and manangement console licenses (chromebooks arrived today) and wondered how the licenses are delivered. I have my google domain setup and ready but just waiting to get them up and running with the management stuff. Its not licensed in the console yet, asking me to buy some.

Will it just appear?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,927 Posts
    From what I have read, you will have to wait about a week for your management licenses to be activated by Google. You'll get an e-mail once they have been.

Our Chromebook Management Licenses have finally been applied to our Google Apps for Education control panel. This was carried out by Google, the only thing we had to do was wait for the confirmation e-mail. The whole process took about seven days. Lesson learnt, if you are buying Chromebooks for use with your Google App domain, buy they from a Google recommended supplier.

Once your Chromebook Licenses have been applied the Chrome Management options become available in the GAFE control panel (Settings > Chrome Management. From here you can configure options for your Chrome devices on a user or device level. (Source)

Thank Post
    You probably already have your answer by now, but here it goes. !!Do not log into your Chromebooks when you get them!!! You will have to press Ctrl + Alt + E to get an enrollment login. This is what will tie the Chromebooks to your account.

Your Chrome devices will show up in your Google App console. When you purchased your Chromebooks you were probably asked about your domain name, the devices will show up under that domain. If you haven't already done so you will want to start working on your suborganizations so that you can apply different policies to your chromebooks if needed. For instance you might make a suborg that is the year students graduate. Then you can have different Chromebook policies for High School vs an Elementary school. When you get the device and you register it is the key to licensing them. If you purchased your Chromebooks from Google you will have Mac address and other information about the device. If you got them from a Chromebook vender (CDW or other) this information will not be propagated to your management console. Make sure you take down all the information about each Chromebook before they are deployed so you aren't trying to track down the devices later. Why?
    Chromebooks don't really have names, but you might want to have certain Chromebooks receive a certain IP so that they don't get caught in your firewall or content filtering. You will need to know what Chromebook device with X serial number goes with X MAC address.

Thank Post
    Still waiting for Google to supply me the codes. Its either Stone or Google but I am not impressed

Thank Post
    You don't get codes they just appear in your google control console although you should receive email confirmation of this

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    You don't get codes they just appear in your google control console although you should receive email confirmation of this
    AliG is right. Are the Chromebooks showing in your console under devices. If not they may have been registered under a subdomain.

Thank Post
    Says I need to purchase the chrome licenses so its not gone through yet. They are blaming a new system with Google but I have teachers who want to use them right now.

Thank Post
    So i am trying to work this out with Google but they are telling me the Chromebooks have to be enrolled with the superadmin account in the primary domain. (We have custom roles for our techs so that only one or two of us have full access). Google is telling me a custom account won't work it has to be the full superadmin account or the policies wont apply properly.

Thank Post
    Sounds like with older versions of Chrome it had to be Superadmin. With newer version (we are on 29) it doesn't matter. If you have subdomains and on 29 or earlier the account you choose can make a difference. If you join using an account in root domain your users in sub-domain will not get policies the first time they login. This also works the other way around. This is fixed in 30 but it is still in beta

Thank Post
    Another 9 days of waiting. Stone are telling me Google are not getting back to them as they are in America????? Seriously. A global advertising company like Google only works on Eastern Time. I am so p******d off with these devices and I haven't even used them in anger yet. To add fuel to the fire the offer for a free smartphone when you buy them is not working either as the serial numbers aren't showing up.

Thank Post
    Surely Stone would be contacting Google UK.

Thank Post
    Just what I was told, I would have expected them to also. I do wonder if they have just emailed their requests across rather than phoning someone. I have sat on their payment anyway. the worst thing I have emailed Google loads of times but no one is getting back to me.

Thank Post
    And BOOM, I got an email last night and the licenses are there. Amazing what a bit of whining doesfor you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information