+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Chromebooks / Google apps / Internet in Technical; Hi, We are looking at getting chrome book for the junior school over the next few weeks. I haven't got ...

Thank Post

Chromebooks / Google apps / Internet

Hi,

We are looking at getting chrome book for the junior school over the next few weeks. I haven't got my hands on one yet so need some help in advance if someone can help.

1) I have Gaps and Gads setup and working. I wont be moving emails over, I don't trust Google so how does the collaborative stuff work when Google doesn't have access to email the share permissions? I am also a bit cloudy about groups, they seem to sync but not sure how to use them yet.

2) Backup, I know Google doesn't do backups so was thinking about a sync between Google drive and AD (we will still have AD) Anyone got a solution for this? Prefer to just have a folder in the home directory they sync.

3) How do you guys handle the internet logging? We have Smoothwall in situ... I can allow the logon through I imagine so they log onto the laptop correctly but is there a way to log their traffic without using SSL logon?

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    1) I don't think you're going to get very far with any sort of collaboration unless you're at the very least forwarding email to users. It's an integral part of the system.

2) You can currently back up email with Vault. We sync certain staff google drives to their shared homedrive and back that up. Most people say that you can't install GDrive onto a mapped drive but it works for me, perhaps the samba server helps. I don't know. Of course this method will require users logging into PC's as well as chromebooks so YMMV. I would suggest buying in a service if you are concerned.

3) Smoothwall. I think we just allowed the logon page through SSL but I don't have the details.

4) Make sure you buy the chromebooks through Google. Getting hold of the management console license from google seems to be a nightmare. Could any resellers help with this?

Thank Post
    Does A) mean you need students to have emails to function?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Essentially yes. IMO. You may be able to work around it but I think it would be quite limiting.

Thank Post
    Try running GApps yourself without email and see how you get on. I don't think I could do it.

Thank Post
    Damn, no way I am giving KS1/2 kids email accounts. Certainly wouldn't be happy as a parent doing it either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    From support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/1289314?hl=en

How do I set up Chrome device management?
    • Chrome device management is available for Chrome devices purchased directly from Google or an authorized reseller. To manage Chrome devices from third-parties, purchase Chrome device management separately from the Chrome devices for Business or Education sales teams.
    • Administrators must create a Google account or Google Apps account (if they're Google Apps customers) for every Chrome device user in their organization. A user signs in to the Chrome device with their Google Apps username and password.
    • The Admin console only lets administrators manage Chrome devices they enroll in their domain.

Thank Post
    Although everyone needs an account It IS possible to disable email.

You might be ok with KS1/2 students not having email. Try it. Create a new OU, disable email for that OU and see what you can do.
    I was thinking along the lines of calendar appointments, mailing homework, collaborative chat, notification of document sharing etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Although everyone needs an account it IS possible to disable email.
    CyberNerd is right. There is an option to disable Gmail in the admin console.

Thank Post
    Damn, no way I am giving KS1/2 kids email accounts. Certainly wouldn't be happy as a parent doing it either.
    Why not?

You can restrict their accounts to only have access to other pupils with accounts on your domain, so only the same as a VLE. Yes it goes on the Google servers, but if you are concerned about that, then you probably need to stay away from Chromebooks.

By the end of KS2, most of them will be on Facebook anyway - that's not supposed to be facetious, just a reason for them to have access to a real email system within a controlled environment early enough for them to learn the risks before they go off into the realms of social networking.

Thank Post
    I have disabled Gmail already on the domain, I have a Exchange network working fine so I suppose if I want to go down this route I need to think of a better solution. If you are saying we need to give 7 year olds access to emails, no matter how much we can restrict them then I definitely need to get permission from parents and discuss with SMT. We wont be moving our domain emails to gmail, we are a business as well as a school so we need outlook. A subdomain is an option I suppose.

Thank Post
    Only a humble teacher, so treat with caution... ;-)

I'd really question whether you 'need' Outlook. I was a complete Outlook junkie at my last school but had to use Google at my new place. Shared calendars are easy, email features are all there, and search is several times faster.

I didn't have to set up or manage Exchange, but I certainly got the impression it was a pain.

All I'd say is consider which features of Outlook / Exchange your staff use which Gapps doesn't offer before dismissing that route.

Thank Post
    Its not a matter of need really, it works... why change. I see no benefit for having a cloud based email system housed on a advertising companies website. We send stuff between staff all the time which is instant and very easy, and I would probably need to look at upgrading our internet speed.

Thank Post
    Its not a matter of need really, it works... why change. I see no benefit for having a cloud based email system housed on a advertising companies website. We send stuff between staff all the time which is instant and very easy, and I would probably need to look at upgrading our internet speed.
    I don't think chromebooks are really for you.
    How about getting some RT devices?

Thank Post
    The junior school wants them. I need to work out a way to co exist. I cant move our emails just for 40 devices. I will chat with google tech about it. It sounds like i am being stubborn but i don't want to jump right in.

think i will pop down to PC world and pick one up

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast