+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cloud Services Thread, Chromebooks / Google apps / Internet in Technical; Fair enough. I wonder why the junior school are so keen on Chromebooks over other devices. They certainly don't seem ...

Thank Post
    Fair enough. I wonder why the junior school are so keen on Chromebooks over other devices. They certainly don't seem to fit with the rest of your set up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    The junior school wants them. I need to work out a way to co exist. I cant move our emails just for 40 devices. I will chat with google tech about it. It sounds like i am being stubborn but i don't want to jump right in.

think i will pop down to PC world and pick one up
    The points you've raised here are all reasonable and valid - it sounds like the people who have suggested Chromebooks are unaware of the impact of their request. It's so much more than moving to a different vendor of hardware and requires a different way of working. Getting Chromebooks is moving to cloud computing and means buying in to the Google system - and there are lots of reasons for not doing that!

I'd completely agree that jumping in is not the right approach. Could they be persuaded to try using Google Apps on their existing hardware? Then they can find out whether it works for them as a way of working. If the reason to buy is down to struggling hardware, you should see some improvement as the processing will be taking place away from their devices - not as slick as a Chromebook, but will also test whether their Internet connection is up to the job. I'd guess that 40 Chromebooks is a big slice of a primary's budget, so seems quite risky when there are so many unknowns.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    The points you've raised here are all reasonable and valid - it sounds like the people who have suggested Chromebooks are unaware of the impact of their request. It's so much more than moving to a different vendor of hardware and requires a different way of working. Getting Chromebooks is moving to cloud computing and means buying in to the Google system - and there are lots of reasons for not doing that!

I'd completely agree that jumping in is not the right approach. Could they be persuaded to try using Google Apps on their existing hardware? Then they can find out whether it works for them as a way of working. If the reason to buy is down to struggling hardware, you should see some improvement as the processing will be taking place away from their devices - not as slick as a Chromebook, but will also test whether their Internet connection is up to the job. I'd guess that 40 Chromebooks is a big slice of a primary's budget, so seems quite risky when there are so many unknowns.
    I suppose its difficult as the guy running it knows what they can do and knows what he wants, he has used it before and sees the benefits... I would like to get them so they have different systems to use, not just M$ but they have to play together.

What I really need is a system that they can all work with, going over to chromebooks fully is the same argument as staying with M$... one vendor, one system. We need a system that plays with everyone. I supose KS1 and KS2 is a way to trial these.
    Last edited by Simcfc73; 9th August 2013 at 11:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Do all your pupils log in as a year group or do they all have individual domain accounts?

If they are all the same (Year1, Year2) you can create a shared folder in docs, call it 'Year1' and then chuck out the link via a bookmark from GPO. Then all the users can have access to a shared 'Year1' folder in Docs without the need to email a shared link.

Thank Post
    Also Primary schools should be teaching email to the students and should have an internal email system like the one 2 simple sell for KS1 but the Google one when restricted to internal Domain would be good.

Thank Post
    Okay so I am coming round to email accounts for junior kids after discussing it with staff.

So how about I create a subdomain for kids. %username@students.****.co.uk and just host that on Gmail? i read somewhere you can import contacts so allow sharing between domains.

Thank Post
    back on topic again... I use either Cloud Solutions or Stone for my Chromebooks and management consoles.

Cloud Technology Solutions (a Rosie there helped me).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    @Simcfc73. You might find this video interesting...

Thank Post
    I might try this..

MS Exchange and Google Apps Split Delivery for single domain name (K-12 School Sample Shown) - Spiceworks

Was thinking of making a sub domain for the students but the chromebooks would be assigned to that domain so staff couldn't use them... this right?

Thank Post
    Well I managed to set this up in 10 minutes, split delivery works extremely well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12