+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 - Shared Mailbox Address Book in Technical; Hi I'm feeling very thick today as I assumed this would work, but I've fallen flat on my face with ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Office 365 - Shared Mailbox Address Book

Hi

I'm feeling very thick today as I assumed this would work, but I've fallen flat on my face with it.

I have setup a shared mailbox for our Admin email address to allow the 2/3 receptionists all to be able to check, monitor and deal with the incoming email addresses. All worked well, the shared mailbox connects in Outlook and can be opened in OWA and that's all good. I then copied the Admin address book into the Admin contacts folder and then hit a brick wall.

If you Open another users mailbox in OWA then you can use the Admin contacts which is fine.

In Outlook, while you can view the Admin address book through the contacts link, if you go to compose a new message you can't pick the address book from the list, it just doesn't appear anywhere.

I then took a look at Public folders, which then appears within Outlook, but makes the OWA useless as I can't find away to view a public folder address book through OWA.

Can anybody suggest any simple way I can view the address book of a shared folder, no matter how it is done, in both OWA and Outlook 2010? It's driving me bonkers!

Thank Post
    As a side note, have you got the Admin Mailbox and their own personal mailbox to show side by side in OWA? I'd be interested to hear how you did this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    As a side note, have you got the Admin Mailbox and their own personal mailbox to show side by side in OWA? I'd be interested to hear how you did this.
    I can get both visible in OWA, but still have the same problem of not being able to view the contacts so decided for this one just to guide them to open another users mailbox (also didn't work out how to change the from address).

Basically right click on your name in OWA and click Add Shared Folder, search for the user/shared mailbox and click ok.

If you don't need to send from it (I have a couple of inbox/subscription addresses), perfect solution to view them at a glance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just a qucik update on this if anyone else is looking for an answer.

I managed to get around it by disabling Automap for each of the users who needed access to the Admin mailbox and were configured with Full Access. Once that is done, you then add the mailbox as a seperate Exchange account by manually configuring it and then you end up with 2 distinct accounts and you can use the Contacts folder in either your personal or Admin account.

What a faff!

5. Thanks to Cache from:

speckytecky (20th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update - one of my tasks over the Summer is migration from Uneasymail to 365. Currently on hold because of an incompatibility which I believe Microsoft are going to issue a fix for?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Thanks for the update - one of my tasks over the Summer is migration from Uneasymail to 365. Currently on hold because of an incompatibility which I believe Microsoft are going to issue a fix for?
    Which incompatability? The imap migration one or another one? Just wondering if it's something I've missed which might explain something else....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure which component they were talking about but I believe that some migrations went ok but a few lost data. I'll see if I can find out what the update they await is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Which incompatability? The imap migration one or another one? Just wondering if it's something I've missed which might explain something else....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah ok. All our migrations went fine as far as I'm aware (nobody has been to tell me they've lost their email) apart from the Read Receipts (but we aren't using easymail). I did notice I lost a large chunk of my messages, but they did originally migrate across. I realised that I had deleted them from the old mailbox to make some changes and that the daily synchronisation of the migration had deleted them from the Office 365 mailbox - the joys of IMAP I guess. That is something else to keep in mind I suppose.
    Last edited by Cache; 20th July 2013 at 04:19 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread