+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, office365 add new UPN question and other Dirsync woes in Technical; We are having a number of issues with DIRSync and the new office365, I'm hoping someone ( @ jamesbmarshall perhaps? ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

office365 add new UPN question and other Dirsync woes

We are having a number of issues with DIRSync and the new office365, I'm hoping someone ( @jamesbmarshall perhaps? ) can possibly please help.

1) Any new user accounts created in AD get synced to the cloud with the email address off username@thisismyliveatedudomain.microsoftonline.c om rather than username@this.is.my.live.at.edu.domain

We have contacted support and they have said this:

This issue occurs because the local AD domain is not verified in Office 365. To resolve it, follow these steps:
    Adding a UPN Suffix to a Forest
    1. Open Active Directory Domains and Trusts.
    2. Right-click Active Directory Domains and Trusts in the Tree window pane, and then click Properties.
    3. On the UPN Suffixes tab, type the new UPN suffix that you would like to add to the forrest.
    4. Click Add, and then click OK.
    5. Now change the domain name for students.
    6. Run a full sync again.
    Which, while being very straight forward and easy to follow instructions, dont really explain what is going on. Everything worked fine with live@edu and ILM.

Are there any caveats about adding a new UPN?

our current local domain is academic.schoolname.edu.au , our on-premise exchange for staff is just schoolname.edu.au.

When I join devices to the domain i just use 'academic' as the domain to join. What happens if i add the extra upn?

2) Another problem is DIRSync has synced every single user object in Active directory. In ILM i could just select the student container. How can I specify only the user container in DirScyn?

3) This is a bit of a sub-question, but in the latest contact with office 365, the techo signed of with :

As the Online Support Request of Office365 is free of charge currently, I believe we will have more opportunities to work with you in the future.
    (emphasis mine) . Is there plans to start charging for support?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just been through similar to what you are doing:

1. I presume because DirSync was designed to be used in conjunction with ADFS it syncs whatever the UPN is in the Active Directory. If no domain name can be resolved with your domains added to Office 365 it still creates the user but assigns it a default domain to form the UPN. Not sure if you have or if it makes any difference if you set the Default Domain within Office 365 from onmicrosoft.com to whatever your domain is by clicking on your school/organisation name in the top right hand corner if you haven't already.

2. I followed this guide and it worked a dream: Installing and Configure DirSync with OU level filtering for Office365 - Denotation - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread