+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Easymail migration to Office 365 in Technical; So If the boss adds the easymail account as a connected account - what happens when the subscription lapses and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    So
    If the boss adds the easymail account as a connected account - what happens when the subscription lapses and the easymail disappears? Are we presuming by then the person will have told everyone about Office 365 and so wont need the easymail anymore? That doesnt sound like the migration to me @Boredguy, you mentioned exporting their contacts? If the bulk migration doesnt export contacts, is it easy for individuals to do once the migration has been set up?

Thank Post
    Once the head has attached his easymail account, he should be able to drag the e-mails from one account into the other via the web interface (pure speculation that an external account works the same as my shared accounts where I'm moving e-mails backwards and forwards all the time)

Once your easymail subscription has expired, then all your accounts there will be disabled so staff will have to have ensured they have their contacts copied if they want to (95% of our staff did not bother) before that date.

In an ideal world you would keep both systems running side by side for a few weeks after going live with 365 just incase.

If you think of it like a pair of filing cabinets... Easymail as a old one with a drawer hanging off and 365 as a nice shiny new one. You would move all the contents over into the new one, but you might have to wait a while for the site team to come and chuck the old one in the skip

3. 2 Thanks to Boredguy:

speckytecky (19th November 2013), witch (19th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    So
    If the boss adds the easymail account as a connected account - what happens when the subscription lapses and the easymail disappears? Are we presuming by then the person will have told everyone about Office 365 and so wont need the easymail anymore? That doesnt sound like the migration to me @Boredguy, you mentioned exporting their contacts? If the bulk migration doesnt export contacts, is it easy for individuals to do once the migration has been set up?
    I mentioned ages ago that the migration won't export the contacts and there are links as they need to do it as a csv or re-create them from received email unfortunately that one issue.

The end-user doesn't need to tell anyone anything about Office 365 if there email address stays the same nothing will change from a 3rd parties perspective.

Ben

Thank Post
    Our easymail subscription doesnt run out till next summer so I could give them quite a long time to sort it - but once I do the mx record then emails will just go to 365. @plexer, I know you mentioned that the bulk migration wont export the contacts - I wasnt aware that there was a way that they could export them themselves - they will need to be walked through that.
    Still not sure what I tell swgfl, mx record- wise

*of course they dont need to tell people - sorry, going quietly mad...

The worry is that if easymail is still in existence then that is what they will go on using - blithely ignoring the requirement to use Office 365 and get their contacts over...
    Last edited by witch; 19th November 2013 at 10:17 AM.

Thank Post
    You just tell SWGFL to change the MX record for domain to record_given_to_you by Microsoft.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The worry is that if easymail is still in existence then that is what they will go on using - blithely ignoring the requirement to use Office 365 and get their contacts over...
    Can you prevent user accounts on easymail from sending e-mails from the admin panel?

Thank Post
    Ok - So there is another step when all's said and done that I follow to get the mx record?

Anyway, just spoken to the boss and he has said to get the mail csv all up together - I am missing some email passwords and then we will be telling staff. They will be told to migrate their contacts - I do hope this is straightforward ( ) They will be given a date at which easymail will no longer exist and then I will do the finalisation thing.
    I have no ideas why this is getting to me so badly - I have done complicated things before

Thank Post
    Basic check list

Create Domain - Check
    Created E-Mail accounts - Check
    Migrated E-Mail to 365 - Check
    Get staff to export Contacts - Cluebat
    Have SWGfL process live MX record Change - Pending You can get the correct MX record by going back into the Office 365 Admin Portal -> Domains -> Your school domain -> View DNS settings. Click on View DNS Records to see what you need to provide to SWGfL. I created separate change requests for the 3 Exchange Online entries (MX, CName and TXT)

Confirmation of MX Change - Pending
    E-mail all users via Easymail account saying new system live - Pending

If you plan on using Lync for Instant Messaging/Video conferencing you can actually submit the requests now (if you have not already) for the 2 sets of SVR and CNAME entries.

Thank Post
    ...and stuck again
    Looking at the csv file I need to migrate the emails all it has as headings is this:
    EmailAddress,UserName,Password

I dont understand - @plexer's example had two email addresses. Is the above just the easymail details then?

Thank Post
    EmailAddress - This is the Office 365 email account so witch@.........
    UserName - This is the login username for easymail which also happens to be witch@........
    Password - Is the password for the easymail account.

You're too hung up on them being the same thing, they just are as easymail uses the full email address as the login and the Office 365 id is the same as you're using the same format.

Ben

Thank Post
    Ahhh
    No, it was the username thing I lost.
    So I need the full email address in the first column.
    In the second column do I need the whole thing again or just the username part (witch)

Thank Post
    If you login to Easymail with your full e-mail address, you need to put that in column 2 of the CSV

Thank Post
    Now, there's the thing that is confusing me
    When we log on to easymail, (mail.anyschool.dorset.sch.uk ) we get a box in which to put the username - not the whole address and then a password box.

So, does that mean that the first column has the whole email address but the second one only has the username?

Thank Post
    I would try it with the full e-mail address, as the worst is will do is ignore the @blah

Thank Post
    You will have to try both and see what works I think it needs the full email address to log in to easymail via IMAP.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast