+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Easymail migration to Office 365 in Technical; Originally Posted by plexer Code: EmailAddress,UserName,Password test@lockyersmid.dorset.sch.uk,test@lockyersmid.dorset.sch.uk,password_not_really For this to work you create an account in office 365 for the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Code:
    EmailAddress,UserName,Password
    test@lockyersmid.dorset.sch.uk,test@lockyersmid.dorset.sch.uk,password_not_really
    For this to work you create an account in office 365 for the user.

The first entry is the users office 365 mailbox, the second is their existing easymail login which is the same thing and the third is their easymail password.

Ben
    Now, you see this is where it all goes wrong for me. That CSV says email address, UserName, Password, but you have put two email addresses in - the office 365 one and the easymail one. I'm sure you are right - but that isnt what it says...see my confusion? How would I know to put them both there?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,460 Posts
    It only contains 2 email addresses because the username used for the migration to login to the imap server in order to connect and retrieve the emails is the full email address.

Don't get too bogged down in this at the moment the first thing to do is to create your users in Office 365, let's take it one step at a time.

Ben

Thank Post
    Can I ask a question @plexer? When I create the users, do I create emails for them as well or do I do this later?
    And if I do create them, wont they be the same addresses as easymail? So where would the emails go?

Thank Post
    No quite sure by what you mean by do you create emails for them if you mean email addresses then yes that's what you're doing when you create an Office 365 account.

Until you change your MX record no email will be delivered to your Office 365 users.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    when you create the user accounts, it will automatically use the assigned User ID as the SMTP Address. You can add Alias addresses also if required. As plexer said, until you change the MX Records over to Office 365 you won't receive email.

How are you handling the migration? you could do this in batches and have mail flowing via Office 365 and if the account hasn't been setup mails still get sent to easy mail :-)

James.

Thank Post
    How am I handling the migration I'M NOT!!! (cue Kermit arms)
    At the moment I havent told the boss that we might have to do this ourselves and we might lose some data - I just thought if I got the Office 365 accounts set up and then he said yes to the migration, I would be a bit further on with it - you know how non-tech people have no idea how much time these things take

Are you saying that if I want people to have the same username for the email as they currently do, I will have to make sure that their Office 365 account has the same user ID? Currently I was going to use the same username as their log-on to the network, but that is name.surname whereas the email is namesurname.

If it wasnt too difficult - when the moment came, I would want everyone to change together...
    Last edited by witch; 13th November 2013 at 08:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Are you saying that if I want people to have the same username for the email as they currently do, I will have to make sure that their Office 365 account has the same user ID? Currently I was going to use the same username as their log-on to the network, but that is name.surname whereas the email is namesurname.
    Yes. As this will be their login name to sign in to Office 365. Such as joe.bloggs@yourschool.sch.uk. If you were to use their network logon they would have to login as name.surname@yourschool.co.uk but then add an additional SMTP address for namesurname@yourschool.co.uk and to be honest as James pointed out in another thread it'll get confusing for users not remembering the difference between their login address and their email address.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 13th November 2013 at 08:45 AM.

Thank Post
    I don't think it will help. They are going to be confused anyway as their logon for the network itself is different. But it would be best for consistency at least in the emails

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it will help. They are going to be confused anyway as their logon for the network itself is different. But it would be best for consistency at least in the emails
    You could get them to start logging in with their UPN as oppose to their SamAccountName... :-)

James.

Thank Post
    As @plexer said above, until you request SWGfL to update the proper MX record to point to O365 instead of easymail, it will not matter that you have duplicate e-mail addresses on 2 different systems.

Prior to your full migration, You can use the 365 account to send e-mail out to external contacts, but any replies will appear in your easymail account.
    You can send e-mail to your 365 account at any time using the username@blah.onmicrosoft.com even after you have set the primary domain as something else.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    You could get them to start logging in with their UPN as oppose to their SamAccountName... :-)

James.

Sanscrit? Or maybe Latin? No idea what that means!

Thank Post
    Thanks @Boredguy That reminds me. Now that Office 365 has verified my domain - how do I set the primary domain to my own?

and an even stupider question - just so I get it right - what address would I put as a shortcut for staff when logging on to office 365 (not just email) and would it be sensible to set them up with a shortcut directly to the email as well (once we get there)
    There seems to be loads of places you can go to to sign in and I need the simplest one
    Last edited by witch; 13th November 2013 at 09:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks @Boredguy That reminds me. Now that Office 365 has verified my domain - how do I set the primary domain to my own?

and an even stupider question - just so I get it right - what address would I put as a shortcut for staff when logging on to office 365 (not just email) and would it be sensible to set them up with a shortcut directly to the email as well (once we get there)
    There seems to be loads of places you can go to to sign in and I need the simplest one
    We use outlook.com/domain_name straight to their inbox but they can access the other services from the links within.

Ben

14. Thanks to plexer from:

witch (13th November 2013)

Thank Post
    OK
    I have found the bulk users import bit. Created my csv . Tried to upload and it has errored out on every single entry. It says that only letters and numbers are allowed for the usernames. But my usernames are just names - eg "abrown"
    Help!!
    Last edited by witch; 13th November 2013 at 09:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Easy one first.... web address
    I normally point our staff to mail.office365.com since it's shorter than using mail.schoolname.county.sch.uk (which SWGfL added for me since I logged about 20 change requests for DNS updates to enable all the 365 features I wanted)
    Once there, the user enters their e-mail address and password and they are in. They can then navigate to sharepoint (aka Sites) from there

To set the primary domain, go to the main Office 365 admin page, and then the Domains sections
    Select your domain and if the status does not say "Active" select to carry on setting it up, which will ask you what you want as the domain purpose. I just went for ExchangeOnline and LyncOnline

From then on, any accounts you create will have the option to select with domain as their primary one. In my case I have 3 (the .onmicrosoft, .wilts.sch.uk and a .co.uk) As we are using DirSync to create the users, all our accounts are assigned a .wilts.sch.uk login (since that is the AD UPN suffix) and the same for their e-mail once we enable their license.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast