+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Easymail migration to Office 365 in Technical; Office365 gave you the TXT and MX record information to add into your DNS to verify you own the domain ...
    Thank Post
    Office365 gave you the TXT and MX record information to add into your DNS to verify you own the domain before you can complete the configuration of what you want that domain to do.

They do assume that people know that the MX record is the one that actually lets other mail servers know where to deliver your domain's messages to, but not everyone knows this.

Heck I can't play the French Horn, so not knowing everything about DNS is fine

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Thanks
    I don't know anything much about DNS
    But @plexer has now told me the mx record and it ISN'T the same as the one I got when trying to verify the domain ?

If I do go ahead with this - will I still need everyone's email address and password? mrwITch thought he read that the administrator can sync accounts without knowing the password - seems unlikely?
    If I do need the username and password, that throws up another issue as when we were going to get swgfl to do it, I had to hand over my list and the HT, DHT and Office were going to add in the details of their account - perish the thought that I could see the head's emails. I was insulted at the time and it was stupid anyway as I am an admin on the email so I could go in , change his password, read all his emails and then tell him, when he could no longer get in, that the password must have spontaneously corrupted....
    But if I need the details of their accounts and they wont let me have them - I cant migrate their emails....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Thanks
    I don't know anything much about DNS
    But @plexer has now told me the mx record and it ISN'T the same as the one I got when trying to verify the domain ?
    Correct, if you verify by MX then the record you get is a dummy; you'll need to set a different one for actual mail flow.

If I do go ahead with this - will I still need everyone's email address and password? mrwITch thought he read that the administrator can sync accounts without knowing the password - seems unlikely?
    You'll need to know (or reset to something you know, which is better IMHO) every username and password that you want to migrate. It's unlikely that you'll have admin access to every mailbox so while that's an option in situations where you have total control, in this case it's not going to be an option.

You will end up with a list of source mailboxes, usernames and passwords, and a corresponding list of target mailboxes, etc. You need to combine that into a CSV file (I think I sent you the link already?) in order to facilitate the migration.

The point about the head not giving you his password is irrelevant, you don't need it if you can reset it.

*puts best practice hat on* You should never know the legitimate passwords for your users, ever. Reset them all to something temporary and encourage them to reset after the migration has completed.
    Last edited by jamesbmarshall; 8th November 2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Typo

4. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

plexer (8th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts
    If not here's the link for the csv file

Learn more about CSV files for IMAP migrations: Exchange Online Help

Ben

6. Thanks to plexer from:

speckytecky (8th November 2013)

Thank Post
    If the HT wants their e-mail migrated, but is not willing to give you their password, then I would be sorely tempted to provide them with instructions for downloading all their e-mails to a PST file from Easymail, then have them manually upload them back to 365 if they want them... or they could start with an empty mailbox

Thankfully none of our staff even batted an eyelid when I requested that they inform us of their password for the migration. We let them all know that the Office 365 login details would be synchronised with their main network details so they could change their password after we had moved everything over and it would take effect within 3 hours.

8. Thanks to Boredguy from:

speckytecky (8th November 2013)

Thank Post
    If the head really doesn't want to give it to you then you set him up an account in Office 365 and he can then manually add his easymail account as a connected account and it will then import all his email.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    Thankfully none of our staff even batted an eyelid when I requested that they inform us of their password for the migration.
    This makes me sad.

Thank Post
    I know the password issue - and it saddens me too - but it is the way staff in schools are. You get used to it after a while.

It isnt that I cannot reset the head's password, it is that he doesnt want me to read his emails which I find HIGHLY insulting even though apparantly it is for "my protection"

I have the passwords for the two other members of SLT though

I do have complete admin access to the EasyMail accounts. I set them up
    I have received confirmation of the domain thing and I have "purchased" the A2 educational O365 packages.
    So - the first thing I need to do is set up an O365 account for everyone?
    Sorry, I know it's a bit "baby steps" but imagine that I gave you a French Horn, taught you how to play a scale of C Major and then gave you a Mozart Horn Concerto and asked you to play that, perfectly, in front of people who will shoot you if you make a mistake (not edugeeks, SLT I mean)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If the head really doesn't want to give it to you then you set him up an account in Office 365 and he can then manually add his easymail account as a connected account and it will then import all his email.

Ben
    If I did this - what happens when we stop paying our Easymail subscription next year if this is just a redirect? Heck, what happens to all of them when this happens?

Thank Post
    If I did this - what happens when we stop paying our Easymail subscription next year if this is just a redirect? Heck, what happens to all of them when this happens?
    It's not just a redirect it will copy the easymail emails into their office 365 inbox.

Once all the users existing emails are migrated and you switch to the real office 365 mx record all new mail will be delivered straight to their office 365 inbox and the easymail servers could blow up at that point and it wouldn't matter.

Now you have signed up for Office 365 yes you can create a csv to create your new user mailboxes and then we can test the migration using your test account.

Ben

Thank Post
    Don't understand this. At all. It is like reading sanscrit to me. Yes, I'm that thick
    It only mentions one email address per person - so would that be the easymail address, username and password then? Where is the info as to where each one is going - or is it just creating them?
    Do those people need accounts first and if so how do the email addresses connect to them?
    Last edited by witch; 8th November 2013 at 10:15 AM.

Thank Post
    It's not just a redirect it will copy the easymail emails into their office 365 inbox.

Once all the users existing emails are migrated and you switch to the real office 365 mx record all new mail will be delivered straight to their office 365 inbox and the easymail servers could blow up at that point and it wouldn't matter.
    Even if I tell the HT to do it himself? Does that still apply?

Now you have signed up for Office 365 yes you can create a csv to create your new user mailboxes and then we can test the migration using your test account.

Ben
    So I would need all the usernames and passwords to do that? But it won't actually happen till I do the MX record? So how do we test it with one account? I can't have them migrating yet.

Thank Post
    You first need to create an office 365 account for each of your users that link is the csv needed to do the migration.

For example for your test account that you provided me the csv looks like this:

Code:
    EmailAddress,UserName,Password
    test@lockyersmid.dorset.sch.uk,test@lockyersmid.dorset.sch.uk,password_not_really
    For this to work you create an account in office 365 for the user.

The first entry is the users office 365 mailbox, the second is their existing easymail login which is the same thing and the third is their easymail password.

Ben

Thank Post
    Even if I tell the HT to do it himself? Does that still apply?

So I would need all the usernames and passwords to do that? But it won't actually happen till I do the MX record? So how do we test it with one account? I can't have them migrating yet.
    Yes even if the HT adds it as a connected account the emails will be imported in to their Office 365 inbox.

You don't need to change the MX record in order to create the new Office 365 mailboxes nor to run the migration this can all be done whilst email is still being delivered to the easymail servers, the MX record is for live email delivery we don't need that until you want to have all your users using Office 365.

Ben

Thank Post
    To bulk import users into Office 365 see here:

Add multiple users with bulk import - Office 365 for enterprises

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast