+ Post New Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
Cloud Services Thread, Easymail migration to Office 365 in Technical; *sniff* did suggest trying Outlook a few posts back *sniff* I'd try connecting at least one of the troublesome accounts ...
    Thank Post
    *sniff* did suggest trying Outlook a few posts back *sniff*

I'd try connecting at least one of the troublesome accounts via outlook. You can also connect up multiple accounts so you have the IMAP connection to Easymail and the Office 365 account in one instanced and then use the Ctrl+Drag option to copy a few of the e-mails from Easymail to 365. If that works you can either do it en mass (since same technique should work for folders) or try PST method.

If either method still fails, hopefully the ticket you have open with Microsoft will be able to help as there should be no logical reason for the failure.

Oh and you can run Outlook and Webmail side by side without any issue... in fact out staff do that all the time as we limit Outlook to only being open on one workstation per user so if someone forgets to logout of Outlook in their office they have to use the OWA interface in their classroom. No-one would notice any difference if you were connected to their easymail account via Outlook for the purpose of the migration.
    Last edited by Boredguy; 11th December 2013 at 10:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    *sniff* did suggest trying Outlook a few posts back *sniff*

I'd try connecting at least one of the troublesome accounts via outlook. You can also connect up multiple accounts so you have the IMAP connection to Easymail and the Office 365 account in one instanced and then use the Ctrl+Drag option to copy a few of the e-mails from Easymail to 365. If that works you can either do it en mass (since same technique should work for folders) or try PST method.

If either method still fails, hopefully the ticket you have open with Microsoft will be able to help as there should be no logical reason for the failure.

Oh and you can run Outlook and Webmail side by side without any issue... in fact out staff do that all the time as we limit Outlook to only being open on one workstation per user so if someone forgets to logout of Outlook in their office they have to use the OWA interface in their classroom. No-one would notice any difference if you were connected to their easymail account via Outlook for the purpose of the migration.
    Yes, you did - but you were talking about it as a main solution and it seemed a bit long winded as I am only part-time and I thought there was a better and quicker way - I was sort of right . However, I am not even sure I will have time or frankly, can be bothered, to do all 16 accounts. I have no idea where the files would be saved and I am hoping @plexer's guide is as good as the ones he writes himself.
    I don't think it is a numbers game as I have only successfully migrated 30 accounts. It is a few more than a "couple" that havent synced though
    So if I did it via outlook it would only copy the files that were there, wouldnt it? It wouldnt be an ongoing thing like the migration?
    Still confused of Dorset...
    Last edited by witch; 11th December 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Thank Post
    I know you have limited time, but I would try a single account purely as a troubleshooting process. Yes it would not be an on-going migration but it neither would Plexer's PST method.

We have already confirmed that login details work for web access for both systems.
    You have around 16 accounts that did not want to sync for a reason that is not very clear (thank you Microsoft) so trying to connect via Outlook to the easymail account can be used to rule out any configuration issues with those 16 accounts. It could be that they are not allowed IMAP access from the easymail admin settings.

If one of the problem accounts can connect to outlook, and you can manually copy a few e-mails over it can help narrow down the problem with the account using the main migration process.

It is possible that it does not like a specific folder in easymail. For example one of my Assistant Head's migrations failed twice because her Deleted Items folder was so full. I moved the e-mails out of her live account into a PST file, then her account migrated happily.

Thank Post
    I know you have limited time, but I would try a single account purely as a troubleshooting process. Yes it would not be an on-going migration but it neither would Plexer's PST method.

Perhaps I'll log on to them all and delete their deleted items - maybe that will help?

Thank Post
    I have just checked three of the failed accounts and they dont have many folders and no deleted items to speak of. No large emails - easymail won't have it anyway.

Thank Post
    Did it allow you to connect to the account via Imap with outlook then?

Thank Post
    Did it allow you to connect to the account via Imap with outlook then?
    Havent got that far yet. Dont know how to do it either. Have I had instructions? I am at the other school now, will look tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Here is the instructions from the SWGfL for setting up outlook to connect to Easymail.

Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013 is the same process
    SWGfL Electronic Service Interface

Thank Post
    No, sorry, I can set up outlook to connect to easymail - as I said, I had done that - what I dont know how to do yet, as I havent looked, is how to go from outlook to office 365

Thank Post
    Ah, that's not too complex then.
    In Outlook, File -> Add Account
    Fill in the name, email address (in the form of the onmicrosoft.com one) and password. It should then try and autodiscover the Exchange server for your domain.

The reason for using the onmicrosoft one in this instance is purely a time saver, as the autodiscover for your proper domain needs adding by the SWGfL or your own DNS depending how you have it configured.... A quick fix is easier for you.

11. 2 Thanks to Boredguy:

speckytecky (11th December 2013), witch (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    TBH I dont even know what you mean by the onmicrosoft one and have no idea what it is. I know way back I was asked if I wanted to use my current one and I did, but what the other one is has gone from my brain if it was ever there
    Without it being an ongoing migration, I'm not sure it is of much use - what would the users have to do before the easymail was turned off?
    In other news....
    I have just created three new email accounts for new staff
    So, no emails, no files, nothing to get snarled up
    they failed
    I've had it now
    Last edited by witch; 12th December 2013 at 01:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,339 Posts
    Witch: can we do a teamviewer session or something?

Bn

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Witch: can we do a teamviewer session or something?

Bn
    That would be good. Maybe you will find something really stupid that I have done
    Gotta go now though. See PM
    I am here 07.30-10.30 tomorrow but can stay on a bit if necessary. Next week am here 07.30 Mon and Fri, and 11am Tue and Thur. Not anywhere except hospital Wed

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The onmicrosoft account, if I remember correctly was my original one that set up as an A3 trial which has now expired. I now only have an A2 account and therefore no onmicrosoft one as far as I'm aware. Please keep me in the loop folks as I'm a light year behind @witch ! Only tried one migration so far and it reported succeeding but with errors - which was the fact that the folders didn't come across.

Thank Post
    @speckytecky regarding the onmicrosoft.com address, when you created your tenancy, it would have given you an account in the form of someone@something.onmicrosoft.com
    This domain stays with the tenancy regardless of any extra domains you add, such as school.dorest.sch.uk, or school.co.uk

If you login to your Office 365 Admin centre and then click on domains, it will list all the domains that are associated with the tenancy... one of them will be the something.onmicrosoft.com.
    Similarly if you go to the exchange admin page and select one of your users and click on the e-mail address option, it will show the primary domain and the @something.onmicrosoft.com, both of which will be received by the server and dropped into the users mail box.
    It's a very handy method of trialling your 365 setup before you change your DNS entries over.

With regards to the error migrating the folders, did the message contain any further information?

Did a little search and came across a self migration guide on a rm.com site for staff to move their e-mails manually from Easymail to 365 using outlook clicky. There was also another was for the older @live e-mail system which says to create a "Sent Mail" folder within Easymail, and then copy any e-mails that was in the easymail outbox into this folder... now this might not be practical for lots of users, but maybe telling the migration process to ignore the outbox folder will cure some of the errors.
    Last edited by Boredguy; 12th December 2013 at 08:23 PM.

17. Thanks to Boredguy from:

speckytecky (12th December 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread