+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, What to do with Google Drive Data from Student and Employee Attrits in Technical; In the last few years our user base has really started to embrace and use Google Drive in a big ...

Thank Post

Question What to do with Google Drive Data from Student and Employee Attrits

In the last few years our user base has really started to embrace and use Google Drive in a big way. As I am preparing to delete our recent student attrits and graduates, I am juggling what to do with their Drive data. In years past we would transfer it to a standard admin account and house the data there in case some of the files were shared with students that still may be active in the school, though no way of me really knowing 100%. Basically just making sure a current student isnt hurt by lost data. But at what point can I get rid of those transferred files I ask myself? Wonder how others tackle this issue? There must be a better way of transferring ownership of Drive data to others that had these files shared with them without having to go and look at tens of thousands of files?

For employees attrits, we just transfer ownership to the department head and have them decide who to give future ownership to. No files are lost when I delete the attrit and my hands are washed clean of maintaining that Drive data.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Before students leave we encourage them to download their data. Then I keep the students accounts disabled for 12 months after which I just delete them.
    As you do; I transfer employee's to their line manager after they leave.

Thank Post
    Yes we too encourage the takeout piece with Google Takeout. So what happens if you delete the users files after that year that they still "own" in your domain and users have been actively using some of that for year and then you delete it?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread