+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Exchange Online IMAP migration failing for some users in Technical; Hi, I'm currently performing an IMAP migration from a VLE on-site system to Exchange Online for 240 users. I've created ...
    Thank Post

Exchange Online IMAP migration failing for some users

Hi,

I'm currently performing an IMAP migration from a VLE on-site system to Exchange Online for 240 users. I've created a csv file based on the online help using the format:

EmailAdress,UserName,Password

I've set a password for each user, using only letters and numbers, so am able to access the accounts successfully and have tested that these work properly.

The migration has completed successfully for 145 users but the rest failed with the message:

"We had trouble signing in to this account. Please confirm that you're using the correct user name and password"

As mentioned above, I've logged into these accounts directly to make sure the password is correct and all appears fine. On subsequent runs a few more would migrate successfully but now no more will migrate.

I only have this week to migrate mail before we switch over to Office 365 so am desparate to complete this. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    In the past I have used this little application to move mailboxes via IMAP. Gives some good logs but you must know, or temporary set passwords on both source and destination for all accounts copied.

http://home.arcor.de/armin.diehl/imapcopy/imapcopy.html

Thank Post
    Thanks, I'll check it out and let you know how I get on

Thank Post
    I was quite hopeful of this utility but am getting the following message when verifying the credentials:

Unable to connect to destination imap-server "pod51007.outlook.com:993"
    Last edited by randle; 10th July 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by randle View Post
    I was quite hopeful of this utility but am getting the following message when verifying the credentials:
    Try outlook.office365.com as the imap server instead, that's what's listed in the user settings for imap server.

Thank Post
    I've tried "outlook.office365.com" also with the same result.

"pod51007.outlook.com:993" was taken directly from the Exchange Online "Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access..." link in the user options section. I imagine this is different to what you suggest because we have a federated setup possibly!!?

Anyway, I've kind of figured out why the Exchange Online migration was failing for so many users. The old email system uses AD Authentication but the majority of the failed users hadn't logged into the old system after a password change was processed en mass by me, meaning the old system was using the cached credentials rather than the updated AD ones. I've since logged into the old system manually for these users and am now running the migration again with a much higher success rate.

Also I was under the impression that an additional run of the migration for already migrated mailboxes would run an incremental migration of new mail since the last was successful one was run however, doesn't appear to be the case! Is there any way to do this?

Thank Post
    All accounts now migrated over now. Was a mix of cached credentials and passwords that were too long.

Also recently found out that incremental migration is performed once a day until the Migration batch is manually deleted so sorted on that side too.

Source: Migrate IMAP mailboxes to Exchange Online: Roadmap - Office 365 for enterprises

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by randle View Post
    Sorry to drag this tread back up but FYI: Imapcopy unfortunately doesn't support SSL used in office 365. So to make it work it needs to be used in conjunction with Stunnel.

See link:

http://manurevah.com/blah/en/p/Migrate-emails-with-Imapcopy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread