+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 hybrid deployment in Technical; Hi Is the following possible Currently we have on site exchange staff and students mailbox DBS Our mx record is ...
    Thank Post

Office 365 hybrid deployment

Hi

Is the following possible

Currently we have on site exchange staff and students mailbox DBS

Our mx record is pointing to our barracuda spam firewall at present

I would like if possible to do the following

Move students to cloud

Keep our mx record pointing to our barracuda spam firewall then exchange forwards it onto the cloud for students!

If I have to remove the spam firewall I will but I'd like not too at this point

Is that possible?

Thank Post
    Interesting idea - I would think so. Are you contracting out the Office 365 install? If so, I would ask your consultants. We're working with MicroExcel right now to migrate our in house Exchange (running 2003 - DIE!) to 365. ...finally.

We're going to move our MX record to point directly to the cloud as they will handle spam prevention, etc. In addition, we feel there are huge benefits of not have a local MX record (email flows if we're out of power, server/switch outages, etc). Why do you want to keep the MX pointing local? ...Wait I reread your question - you have staff local and want to redirect student emails to 365. Eek. I'd say you would benefit from moving everyone...but I don't know of enough of Exchange to know if it would be possible or how to do it on a large scale. What version Exchange?

Good luck!

Thank Post
    I've done the office 365 setup I'm at the last point which is deciding what to do with exchange.

Only really want to keep the barracuda because we only recently paid for the renewal, but we've have only recently looking at 365 as I'd like students to use skydrive pro and web apps on shared ipad devices, that bits works really well to be fair.

Just the email bit, I could move everyone to the cloud or leave it half and half and just move students but move our mx, I just really like the barracuda spam product seems silly o waste it.

Thank Post
    You can route mail into and out of Exchange Online however you like, so you could continue to use your on-prem solution for now. You just need to set up connectors in EOP.

You can also use EOP to protect your on-prem Exchange server too, if you like.

If the plan is to remove the Barracuda appliance then it might be worth "architecting" it out of the equation early rather than trying to take it out later on; EOP can probably pick up most things you need unless you're doing anything particularly funky with your mail (like address re-write).

5. Thanks to jamesbmarshall from:

ful56_uk (5th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Oh cool, I'll have a look at that a bit later

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread