+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Netflix use in schools in Technical; Hi guys, Does anybody use Netflix or similar service for showing films or programs to classes instead of DVDs? Is ...

Thank Post

Netflix use in schools

Hi guys,

Does anybody use Netflix or similar service for showing films or programs to classes instead of DVDs?

Is it even legal for schools to use this kind of service?

I'd be grateful if somebody who has implemented something like this could give me some advice on setting it up.

Cheers,

Ant

Thank Post
    as long as youve got the correct liscensing I cant see a problem but im not sure if Netflix do an education/buisness account.

Itll be intresting to know.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The EULA suggests that this isn't legal: https://signup.netflix.com/EULA
    (Emboldening is mine)

Permitted Use/Restrictions

Grant of Limited License. Netflix grants you (which, for purposes of this License Agreement, shall include members of your immediate household for whom you will be responsible hereunder and users of the Netflix ready device with which you are accessing the Netflix service and for whom you will be responsible hereunder) a non-exclusive, limited, personal and nontransferable license, subject to and conditioned on your compliance with the restrictions set forth in this License Agreement, to install and use the Software, in object code form only, provided to you by or on behalf of Netflix in connection with your use of the Netflix service.

The license grant above includes the right to use documentation accompanying the Software for the sole purpose of using the Netflix service and the right to make one (1) backup copy of the Software, provided that (i) the Software is installed on only the number of Netflix ready devices authorized by Netflix (which number shall be six (6) Netflix ready devices unless otherwise agreed or modified in writing by Netflix); (ii) the Software may NOT be modified; (iii) all copyright notices are maintained on the Software; and (iv) you agree to be bound by all the terms of this License Agreement.

The Software is only for your own personal, non-commercial use and not for use in the operation of a business or service bureau, for profit or for the benefit or any other person or entity.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I suspect there probably is a business/education account which is considerably more no doubt! On every DVD packaging I've seen, it always states about personal use and not commercial... but no one seems to care about this and bring in films from home. Especially at the end of term!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I suspect there probably is a business/education account which is considerably more no doubt!
    I don't believe there is actually.
    Though, in their own words, they don't pursue educational establishments from breaking the rules. The article below is a few years old but can't see that anything has changed.
    From Netflix Turns a Blind Eye to Illegal Use by School Libraries – ReadWrite
    Netflix "frowns upon" this type of use, said Steve Swasey, Netflix' vice president of corporate communications, but indicated no plans to enforce the rules. "We just don't want to be pursuing libraries," he said. "We appreciate libraries and we value them, but we expect that they follow the terms of agreement."
    Edit: That isn't me advising anyone to break the rules by the way. sparkeh says "Stay in school, don't do drugs and follow the rules" *thumbs up*
    Last edited by sparkeh; 28th June 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Thank Post
    I doubt they would go after schools or libraries - imagine the PR damage!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information