+ Post New Thread
Cloud Services Thread, Office 365 Address Lists in Technical; I'm struggling slightly with Office 365. I'm looking to hide the Global Address Lists/Address Lists from students (They only have ...

Thank Post

Office 365 Address Lists

I'm struggling slightly with Office 365.

I'm looking to hide the Global Address Lists/Address Lists from students (They only have a personal address book), I understand its to do with Address Book policies, yet because ADP is fairly new in O365 theres little documentation/examples, particularly ones that are relevant.

Anyone got a solution or have a good starting point?

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    The information was posted in another thread but this blog takes you through 99% of the steps and I can confirm that it works
    Alumni Address Book Policy in Office 365 Education - UK Education Cloud Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

The only step that is not clearly explained is how to set the Address List permission to your account.
    If you go into the Exchange Admin Center then Permissions.
    Select Organization Management (seemed like the best one to me) and Edit it
    In the Roles box, click Add and select Address Lists.
    Save and wait a couple of minutes.

I choose that Permission group since it's already applied to the main TenantAdmin account that I use to powershell in with.

Thank Post
    I think i got it sorted, i will post a mini how to when i got it up and running properly.

Thank Post
    I am looking to do this, is there a quick and easy guide?

Thank Post
    Just wondered if you got any further with this. Hows it working??
    Cheers
    Martin

Thank Post
    I've just had to do this for a school that we manage. I used the following script:

EDIT: One thing to note, this might need breaking into two parts,

##This enables customisation of the environment, and needs to be done to allow the rest of this to work
    Enable-OrganizationCustomization

#Address list management isn't a standard permission added, so we need to create a new admin role and add members.
    #New-RoleGroup -Name "AddressListManagement" -Roles "Address Lists" -Members '**INSERT ALIAS OF TENANT ADMIN**'
    then do Get-PSSession|Remove-PSSession and reconnect to the instance with the same credentials, otherwise the creation of the new GALs will fail due to incorrect permissions.

#Now we need to enable seperation of the address books, whilst allowing mail to flow between them
    #Set-TransportConfig -AddressBookPolicyRoutingEnabled $true

#Set a custom attribute field for each student and staff member because Title isn't easily available within the maibox commands
    $a = Get-User -Filter '(Title -eq "Student")' #pick a common title if you have one for all student accounts
    $a| Set-Mailbox –CustomAttribute1 ”Student” #you can set this to whatever you want, we chose student

#Do the same for staff
    $b = Get-User -Filter '(Title -eq "Staff")' #and same again...
    $b| Set-Mailbox –CustomAttribute1 ”Staff”

#Now we create the two new global address lists and set people into them based on the custom attribute
    New-GlobalAddressList -Name Staff -RecipientFilter {((RecipientType -eq "UserMailbox") -and (CustomAttribute1 -eq "Staff"))}
    New-GlobalAddressList -Name Students -RecipientFilter {((RecipientType -eq "UserMailbox") -and (CustomAttribute1 -eq "Students"))}

#Create the two new address lists, one for staff and one for students
    New-AddressList -Name "Staff Mailboxes" -RecipientFilter "RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox' -and CustomAttribute1 -eq 'Staff'" -DisplayName "Staff List"
    New-AddressList -Name "Student Mailboxes" -RecipientFilter "RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox' -and CustomAttribute1 -eq 'Student'" -DisplayName "Student List"

#Create an offline address book for when they are using the outlook client
    New-OfflineAddressBook -Name "Staff.Oab" -AddressLists "Staff"
    New-OfflineAddressBook -Name "Student.Oab" -AddressLists "Students"

#Bring it all into a policy for each group of staff
    New-AddressBookPolicy -Name "Staff.Abp" -AddressLists "Staff Mailboxes" -OfflineAddressBook "\Staff.Oab" -GlobalAddressList "\Staff" -RoomList "\All Rooms"
    New-AddressBookPolicy -Name "Students.Abp" -AddressLists "Student Mailboxes" -OfflineAddressBook "\Student.Oab" -GlobalAddressList "\Students" -RoomList "\All Rooms"

#Now set the policy for each account so that it picks up the correct mailbox policy for their group.
    Get-Mailbox -Filter '(CustomAttribute1 -eq "Staff")'| Set-Mailbox -AddressBookPolicy "Staff.Abp"
    Get-Mailbox -Filter '(CustomAttribute1 -eq "Student")'| Set-Mailbox -AddressBookPolicy "Students.Abp"

#Added bonus that sets the default time zone when they open Outlook Web Acess for the first time. Not directly part of the request, but makes it easier from a testing perspective to log into the test accounts
    $users = Get-Mailbox -ResultSize unlimited -Filter {(RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'UserMailbox')}
    $users | %{Set-MailboxRegionalConfiguration $_.Identity -TimeZone "UTC"}
    I've run it on a test site and it worked, and just running it on a live site now. Might be better to copy and paste a line at a time, in case of any errors (it ran fine once, but second time I got an error on the New-GlobalAddressList cmdlet - which is how I found this thread trying to work out why it failed..
    Last edited by markh123; 26th March 2014 at 12:59 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread